Austria
Joined 4791 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 90 of 204
15 April 2012 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
The few times I've been recorded in that kind of seating arrangement, with two speakers
sitting side by side facing the camera, it was very awkward. ....

Your comment makes a lot of sense and actually coincides with what Luca wrote himself in the comments section of the video (I think he wrote that comment in Spanish, but don't remember right now).

Luca made it also quite clear in his comment that he very much appreciates what Tim does.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4791 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 

Message 91 of 204
15 April 2012 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:

Personally, I don't feel comfortable saying I can "speak" a language unless I'm at B1 or better in conversation. (...)

(...) From his self evaluation, he might only speak 4 languages at B1 or better (English, French, Farsi and Hebrew). That's no
minor accomplishment, especially for a 16 yo. But if that's the case, there are going to be a lot of "haters" out there that won't appreciate his claim. So he
and his fans are going to have to get used to it.

Fair enough, but not everybody is as strict as you are. I have talked to people in German who probably had somewhat of a solid A2 level and I had no problem whatsoever communicating with them. Since I did not speak a word of their native tongue and they still managed to converse with me in German, I'd certainly say they were able to "speak" German.

Well, if some "haters" don't appreciate his claim, I guess that is basically their problem. What makes them think their definition of "speaking" is the correct one? I have not found anything in the definitions used in the European Framework that would only remotely suggest that you start "speaking" a language only as from level B1 upwards.

Edited by Rob_Austria on 15 April 2012 at 1:20pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6041 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 92 of 204
15 April 2012 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Rob_Austria wrote:

Well, if some "haters" don't appreciate his claim, I guess that is basically their problem.

I agree 100%. Tim has found a groove, a system that works for him. I hope he continues and I wish him the best of luck!

translator2
United States
Joined 6708 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 93 of 204
15 April 2012 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
All of the YouTube videos are about learning languages. How about some videos with two people discussing topics other than how they learn languages. "Global Warming: Is it Real?", "How has the financial crisis affected your country?", "Describe the last book you read/movie you saw and why you liked it". I could easily do this in all five of my languages. I don't care about grammatical mistakes or a non-native accent. I'm looking for the ability to really think, express yourself and use the language for purposes other than introductory chit chat of the "How did you learn Chinese?, "Arabic is hard.", "Where is the Bahnhof?", I can speak 29 languages" parrot language variety.

If your goal is to just be able to exchange brief pleasantries with people in 50 languages, that's fine, but then don't pretend that that makes you in any way a language expert.

Edited by translator2 on 15 April 2012 at 6:03pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4791 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 

Message 94 of 204
15 April 2012 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:

If your goal is to just be able to exchange brief pleasantries with people in 50 languages, that's fine, but then don't pretend that that makes you in any way a language expert.

Since this thread is about Tim, can you please tell me where exactly he ever said to be a language expert? I have watched all his videos, I have read his comments on other youtube sites, I have read news articles, watched the TV programs in which he appeared and listened to his radio interviews.

It is one thing to criticize what he says and/or does but it is really sad that he keeps getting blamed for things he simply has NEVER EVER said.

I do agree though that people sometimes say they speak a language after having learnt a very limited number of set phrases. Technically, they may speak the language but as for their communicative skills I don't think they would be able to hold a discussion. I just don't think Tim is one of them. And as I have said here and on other forums, I don't think ANYBODY can speak more than 10 languages at a C2 level all the time.

I just wonder why people like Prof. Arguelles don't get the same amount of harsh criticism for their claims. Don't get me wrong, I know he is an accomplished scholar and he makes very interesting videos. Besides, he seems to be an extremely friendly and polite person. But so far I have seen only vids in English, with the exception of one short clip in Dutch. So, if all the criteria you and other people here base their judgment on when it comes to Tim are valid, what are your thoughts then about people like Prof. Arguelles? Or is it his academic title in linguistics (which by the way says nothing about a person's abilitiy to actually converse in any foreign language) that lets you shy away from criticizing him?

As for your suggestion with regard to the youtube videos, I find your idea very interesting. I would love to talk to you about any of the topics you mentioned in either German, English, Italian, French or Spanish (these seem to be the languages we both "speak" as opposed to the languages we still learn). Let's make a start :-)

Edited by Rob_Austria on 15 April 2012 at 7:02pm

10 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6708 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 95 of 204
15 April 2012 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Rob_Austria wrote:

First of all, I think we can learn a lot through discussion and debate without which this board would not be quite so entertaining or informative.

I find some of Tim's comments to be extremely arrogant, misleading and, with a high-degree of certainty, utterly false (example: can read Arabic and Russian newspapers after studying each language for only 4 weeks). Really?? ἀλήθεια?

The difference between him and someone like "The Professor" (and Mary Ann... here on...) is that the Professor is not claiming to have learned things overnight, in two weeks, or in four months. He has spent years working on languages and this makes his claims more plausible (he has also written several books). He may say to the world and the media: "Hey, I know or I can speak xx languages" (and that may or may not be true by any given person's definition), but he does NOT say "I can speak xx languages and I did it in one day!".

If you want to get into specifics, Moses/Laoshu, Steve Kaufmann, Luca, Richard Simcott and the many others are not saying that they learned 23 languages in two years time.

If you notice, the people I take issue with (Cesar, Ziad, etc.) all have this in common and I have either praised or said nothing about any of the others.

Again, we are not talking about people claiming to speak numerous languages. We are talking about people claiming to speak numerous languages AND having done so in an impossible period of time and then presenting themselves on-line and in the media perpetuating the myth that language-learning is easy or something you can do in your sleep, at lightning speed, in no time, in a flash, in ten seconds, or any one of the various adjectives used by publishers of language courses designed for the unwashed masses.

Edited by translator2 on 15 April 2012 at 10:09pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5858 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 96 of 204
15 April 2012 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Rob_Austria wrote:

Or is it his academic title in linguistics (which by the way says nothing about a person's abilitiy to actually converse in any foreign language) that lets you shy away from criticizing him?

wait, wasn't he a philologist?

Rob_Austria wrote:

As for your suggestion with regard to the youtube videos, I find your idea very interesting. I would love to talk to you about any of the topics you mentioned in either German, English, Italian, French or Spanish (these seem to be the languages we both "speak" as opposed to the languages we still learn). Let's make a start :-)

awesome!! it would be nice to see that (SUBSCRIBED!!!)

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version