Finland
Joined 4412 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 129 of 204
14 May 2012 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I can understand why some will find it offensive that someone claims to learn a language in a couple of weeks - but as so often in these discussions - it boils down to definitions of what it is to speak a language. I am probably at a A2 level in Russian, and depending on the circumstances, I can vary between not being able to say more than my name and that my Russian is really bad, until days where I get warmed up and can say quite a lot. I had several conversations in Ukraine at Easter where I not only spoke Russian, I even had to translate for my husband.

What this discussion brings up is that for the media, one of the most important things about language learning is apparently speed, when compared to other subjects. I think this is maybe because most people see grammar and vocabulary learning as onerous things that need to be got out of the way as quickly as possible. Since many people don't think that the language learning process is interesting or valuable in itself, they prioritize speed. They also seem to think that there is a point at which one is 'done' learning a language.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6658 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 130 of 204
14 May 2012 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Someone said that they did not understand why he was trying to learn all these languages...

I missed this in the thread, but some people just have voracious appetite for languages, and the less common the language, the tastier. :-)

For some people, learning languages is like reading a good book: it's not for any practical reason, but just because it's a stimulating challenge; the language is an end unto itself.
5 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6699 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 131 of 204
14 May 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Does that mean I say that I can speak Russian? No, no way, because I would need to be at a B1 level before I felt I could say I speak it, and most of all I need to be able to speak it consistently, not just on a good day. But I did - in effect - speak Russian. Was it elegant? No. Was it correct? No. But I got my meaning through most of the time.

Exactly, imagine being able to converse like this (~A2) in a couple of languages. No matter how basic, it's still a much higher level than those who don't know anything at all. If the day had more than 24 hours, I'd be an A2 speaker of more languages than now. :)

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Someone said that they did not understand why he was trying to learn all these languages, and I do not know if this is his reason for it, but I can see one very good reason for doing it. He is 16, so is my daughter. I am making her listen to French and Russian every day, because I know that she is at a critical age as to getting a good accent. He may be thinking the same thing, that it is easier for him to do it now than later.

I agree, focusing on things which are important "now" (especially if we have the time). Later on, it might be difficult to learn the skills with the same "ease", and if we have good approach now, we probably won't have to study as much later on. Some skills are more important in the beginning, so to speak. Listening to the target language is very important for the beginner to get accustomed to how the language sounds. The intermediate student already knows that (and can focus on other things!).

We've all read about intense periods of study, listening-reading and so on. How many of us are willing to devote several hours everyday in the inital stages? Until we've tried it, we can't really say that it's fruitless.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6493 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 132 of 204
15 May 2012 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Several comments have mentioned the role of the media. And they certainly have a dubious role. When I watch TV it strikes me how much that stupid competition mentality has destroyed. It is not enough to conceive an ambitious plan and carry it through yourself with a camera following the whole process - oh no, now you have to have two teams who get a task assigned and have to fight at each other's throttles to win a competition, and it's high fives and screaming and dollars galore for the winner, while the loser is exposed as a complete failure. And to add to the misery the whole thing is supervised from above by some person who doesn't know anything and can't contribute anything to the projects except telling jokes. And the more hysterical the whole thing can be made, the better.

The infortunate thing is that this mentality is contagious.

Edited by Iversen on 15 May 2012 at 12:38pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

m32amir
Heptaglot
Groupie
Canada
youtube.com/user/m32Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5440 days ago

53 posts - 184 votes 
Speaks: Kazakh, Russian*, English, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Turkish, Mandarin

Message 133 of 204
25 June 2012 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
Hi all :-)

I just wanted to let everyone know that Tim has uploaded a new video :-)

New multilingual video

Enjoy
7 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4618 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 134 of 204
26 June 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Several comments have mentioned the role of the media. And they
certainly have a dubious role. When I watch TV it strikes me how much that stupid
competition mentality has destroyed. It is not enough to conceive an ambitious plan and
carry it through yourself with a camera following the whole process - oh no, now you
have to have two teams who get a task assigned and have to fight at each other's
throttles to win a competition, and it's high fives and screaming and dollars galore
for the winner, while the loser is exposed as a complete failure. And to add to the
misery the whole thing is supervised from above by some person who doesn't know
anything and can't contribute anything to the projects except telling jokes. And the
more hysterical the whole thing can be made, the better.

The infortunate thing is that this mentality is contagious.

Competition is destructive.

Co-operation is constructive.

Or is that too simplistic?

1 person has voted this message useful

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4428 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 135 of 204
29 June 2012 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
I've watched some of his Arabic and Persian videos and must say that he does have a good command of his speaking abilities. I'm not here to judge him, but I strongly admire his passion for languages. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6493 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 136 of 204
29 June 2012 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
About competition: a mild degree of competition may be beneficial even in language learning, but unlike most sports there isn't a clear success criterion and there aren't equal conditions for all competitors in language learning. And personally I even detest seeing language learning made into a sport with just one winner and thousands or even millions of losers - especially if the person in question didn't claim to be the best in the world or similar things. If you want a formal competition then it should at least be organized with clear criteria and a formal procedure like the two competitions which Erard mentions in his book about hyperglots (although dead and artificial language should have been admitted if they are studied and learnt as other languages - but that's a detail).

Quite generally I loath hysteria in all its forms, and even though the ugly spirit with narrow timelimits, high fives, insane screaming and an irritating showhost already has infected most TV competitions it must be possible to keep linguistic competitions civil and courteois AND fact-oriented. As language learners with yearlong projects we are hopefully too boring in the eyes of the childish program lords to get the usual treatment.

Edited by Iversen on 29 June 2012 at 11:20am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version