204 messages over 26 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 ... 25 26 Next >>
translator2
United States
Joined 6709 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 121 of 204
11 May 2012 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Well, he did say in this video: NYTimes Video: Understanding Hyperpolyglots that he "learned" six languages over the summer. He probably meant "studied", but saying you "learned" something in English implies that you are finished learning.

jdmoncada wrote:
I saw a New York Times article/video with him in it. Someone had posted the link earlier today. He seems personable and enthusiastic.

My only "criticism" is not of Tim himself but of the reporting saying that he "learned" a language. We all know that it's a lifelong endeavor. I would have preferred that it was "started learning". That better reflects that it is all a work in progress for Tim (and for the rest of us).

3 persons have voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4781 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 122 of 204
12 May 2012 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
Torbyrne wrote:
My goal with all of this [...] is to encourage language learning and
having a good news story with Tim in it is a big help to get more people interested in
the topic. It brings our passion to the fore and that cannot be a bad thing for the
general public, can it?

The positive thing is that many people are being inspired and encouraged to start their
own studies. I have never read about serious polyglots like Tim and you speaking/writing
about themselves as "super", because IMO you don't want to be idolized, but just
inspire other people (which is fantastic).

On the downside these kind of reports also discourage people from even trying to start
learning a language, because they think the are not talented enough. Having the media
reporting about people like Tim and you is good, the problem is that the media labels
you as "super", "hyper" or geniuses (I understand that the media wants/needs to make
well-selling reports). The average person then thinks "Oh, I am not that kind, I'll
never make it! :-("

By the way, even in Argentina people speak about Tim :-)
Las aventuras de un adolescente políglota en la Red

Edited by Mae on 12 May 2012 at 2:05pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6493 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 123 of 204
13 May 2012 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
I don't quite understand why people should react like that (though Mae may be right). After all the existence of top athletes, musicians and authors hasn't stopped people from being active at whatever level they can muster in those areas - actually they seem to become more active when they have some top names to inspire them. Personally I decided to return to language learning in 2006 after a long pause because it irritated me that people like ProfArguelles knew so many languages whereas I even had let some of my old ones slip away. And it still amuses me that there are people ahead of me - not because language learning should be construed as a competition, but because the videos and blogs of those ahead of me show me that there always is room for improvement

Btw. I learned one new word at the Argentine site you linked to - "piola"!

Edited by Iversen on 13 May 2012 at 2:04am

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5135 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 124 of 204
13 May 2012 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
The animosity towards Tim strikes me as unwarranted. He seems to be a passionate and serious student who spends long hours with substantive books working on his languages and has already achieved a respectable amount. I don't see him claiming to be able to learn a language in a couple of weeks by making casual conversation or using ipad apps. His claim to be able to "speak" so many languages might be premature, but if he manages to maintain this level of study intensity no doubt he'll make good progress towards that goal.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Kakino
Canada
Joined 4492 days ago

7 posts - 16 votes
Studies: English*, French, Japanese, German

Message 125 of 204
14 May 2012 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
I used to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to study languages but decided to stop for while and learn only on
the weekends with a few words and some grammar study on the weekend. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost
some writing skills in Japanese, and have not been studying German for 3 weeks--I haven't forgotten
anything though...I think. I decided to learn French on my own after grade 9 (Canadian so I have to learn
french till then) (I am now in grade 10 and I didn't do so well on the subject then). I now understand more
things than they could explain in class and feel like I am advancing faster than before(after studying French
for 10 years at school I can barely converse with my sister in the language). I became so attached to French
that I started to throw a couple aside. In fact, I stopped learning Spanish to learn French.

Why am I saying this? Well, u may want to ask how Tim is able to maintain all of his languages when
focusing on a new one. How he keeps himself motivated and how he may be extremely tired after a 15 hours
of studying.
1 person has voted this message useful

Pisces
Bilingual Pentaglot
Finland
Joined 4412 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 126 of 204
14 May 2012 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Personally I am very impressed by his being able to study for 15 hours a day. I wish I could do that, in any subject. He may count watching movies and the like as studying too, but it's still very impressive.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6493 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 127 of 204
14 May 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Saturday May 12 I also studied languages for at least 15 hours (from 9 morning to 4 in the night, minus meals, but including HTLAL time). A truly dedicated youngster like Tim can of course do the same thing once in a while (especially if someone brings him some food so that he doesn't have to stop his activities). The problem would be to find time for it often enough. And more importantly: avoid burn out symptoms.

Edited by Iversen on 14 May 2012 at 10:34am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5124 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 128 of 204
14 May 2012 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
I can understand why some will find it offensive that someone claims to learn a language in a couple of weeks - but as so often in these discussions - it boils down to definitions of what it is to speak a language. I am probably at a A2 level in Russian, and depending on the circumstances, I can vary between not being able to say more than my name and that my Russian is really bad, until days where I get warmed up and can say quite a lot. I had several conversations in Ukraine at Easter where I not only spoke Russian, I even had to translate for my husband.

Does that mean I say that I can speak Russian? No, no way, because I would need to be at a B1 level before I felt I could say I speak it, and most of all I need to be able to speak it consistently, not just on a good day. But I did - in effect - speak Russian. Was it elegant? No. Was it correct? No. But I got my meaning through most of the time.

I suspect that again, we are discussing apples and pears. Some feel that they are fluent when they get their meaning across. Some need to feel confident in the language first, and be able to discuss a wide range of subjects.

The main point however is that we should be able to be happy for those who have an enthusiasm for languages, particularly when they are that young. Does it in any way diminish my acomplishments or affect my self esteem that someone else sets the bar slightly lower than I do for some of the languages they speak? Not at all. I think we all could have "spoken 15 languages" if we put our mind to it, and set the bar at A2. Do we want to? No, most of us do not bother to - but hey - my respect to those who do.

As for Tim in particular I am in no position to judge him, but any kid who can speak 5-10 languages well and speak another 10 to some degree, will have my admiration.

Let us applaud what he can do, and not judge him for wanting to learn more.

Someone said that they did not understand why he was trying to learn all these languages, and I do not know if this is his reason for it, but I can see one very good reason for doing it. He is 16, so is my daughter. I am making her listen to French and Russian every day, because I know that she is at a critical age as to getting a good accent. He may be thinking the same thing, that it is easier for him to do it now than later.

In any event I wish him good luck. I am of course insanely jealous that he can do all this at the age of 16, but I will not make that affect my good will:-) May he develop and prosper, and become a valuable part of the HTLAL community, and may his language studies bring him happiness and prosperity and inspire many others to learn languages!

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version