ayauk
United Kingdom
Joined 4387 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Arabic (classical), Mandarin

Message 137 of 204
29 June 2012 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
portunhol wrote:
He's mind-blowingly good. He MUST be a genius to be going to the University of Illinois at only
age 16. I know that raw intelligence is not enough to become proficient in languages. He obviously has a real
interest.

He's an exciting addition to the Youtube Polyglots.

When I heard he went to the University of Illinois I checked their programmes out. They host some summer
language course teaching languages of the Muslim world (thus Tim's choices of languages). It seems like a truly
excellent course but it's hard to join up if you are not a citizen unless you are already studying or living in the States
as it is only a short course.

Makes Tim's achievements all the more impressive!
1 person has voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5517 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 138 of 204
01 July 2012 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Luca made an interview with Tim and posted it on his channel. You can listen to it
HERE
3 persons have voted this message useful

Kakino
Canada
Joined 4491 days ago

7 posts - 16 votes
Studies: English*, French, Japanese, German

Message 139 of 204
01 July 2012 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone messaged him and received a response? Unfortunately I've had no response.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6657 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 140 of 204
01 July 2012 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Kakino wrote:
Has anyone messaged him and received a response? Unfortunately I've had no response.

I'm not sure he's an active member on the forum anymore, unfortunately.

Kakino
Canada
Joined 4491 days ago

7 posts - 16 votes
Studies: English*, French, Japanese, German

Message 141 of 204
01 July 2012 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
No, I know that he had read the message for a fact. And it is true that he is not very active.

kman543210
Diglot
United States
Joined 4453 days ago

26 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, German

Message 142 of 204
02 July 2012 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
Kakino wrote:

Somehow I doubt that he would have much time to respond to most, if any, messages. Between his traveling, school, many language studies, and Youtube channel, I'm sure that he keeps very busy. I wouldn't take it personally if he doesn't respond.

He may browse this site, but I wouldn't be surprised if he no longer participated. Just within the first 10 pages of this thread about him, some called him a jerk, insinuated he was lying, called his language learning a "parlor trick", and also that he was making outrageous and misleading statements. Although some later apologized, I don't think this would encourage me to continue participating on a specific forum.

I really did like the most recent Youtube interview between him and Luca where he was a little more specific about how he goes about learning his languages. That was probably helpful for those who have been wondering about his learning techniques.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5884 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 143 of 204
15 July 2012 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
The second video I made for Tim, whilst I was in NYC is out on YouTube. We talk about his experience as a
French exchange student in Paris in French (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdNRq2kuVMk). I hope you
enjoy it! :)

Edited by Torbyrne on 15 July 2012 at 9:56am

4 persons have voted this message useful

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5943 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 144 of 204
14 August 2012 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
The only language I am sure Tim can speak is English.He knows a few sentences of the other 22 languages.I like his enthusiasm for languages but the truth is still the truth.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version