344 messages over 43 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 42 43 Next >>
zhanglong
United States
Joined 4725 days ago

322 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 81 of 344
30 August 2012 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Just out of curiosity, does Korean sound similar to any Chinese dialects or Japanese?
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 82 of 344
30 August 2012 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
zhanglong wrote:
Just out of curiosity, does Korean sound similar to any Chinese dialects or Japanese?

Good question... I think Korean has a very distinct sound. I can't speak for all Chinese dialects, but considering Mandarin, Cantonese and Japanese, none of them sound much like Korean.
I think what distinguishes Japanese from Korean is that there are less possible syllable-final consonants in Japanese. Korean also doesn't have pitch accent (at least not in the standard Seoul dialect) and - as many people on this forum have remarked - the pronunciation is often less clear.
Probably tone is one of the biggest distinctions between Korean and the Chinese dialects. Korean doesn't use tone and therefore already sounds quite different. In Mandarin there is once again the issue of very few possible syllable-final consonants, as well as many distinct sounds.

But it's probably easiest to hear for yourself (starting from 1:10).

In any case, there are still mutually intelligible words in all those languages, they just sound quite distinct.

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4323 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 83 of 344
31 August 2012 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
zhanglong wrote:

Good question... I think Korean has a very distinct sound. I can't speak for all Chinese dialects, but considering Mandarin, Cantonese and Japanese, none of them sound much like Korean.
I think what distinguishes Japanese from Korean is that there are less possible syllable-final consonants in Japanese. Korean also doesn't have pitch accent (at least not in the standard Seoul dialect) and - as many people on this forum have remarked - the pronunciation is often less clear.
Probably tone is one of the biggest distinctions between Korean and the Chinese dialects. Korean doesn't use tone and therefore already sounds quite different. In Mandarin there is once again the issue of very few possible syllable-final consonants, as well as many distinct sounds.

But it's probably easiest to hear for yourself (starting from 1:10).

In any case, there are still mutually intelligible words in all those languages, they just sound quite distinct.

I think even if Korean's vocabulary was over 50% of Mandarin's, it would still sound nothing like Mandarin simply because of the prosody alone. The central North American dialect of English sounds about as different from German as it does from really strong Scottish accents for example. I actually have to try in order to understand them sometimes (The Scottish accents) xD hehe

And about the tones. That's an interesting point you bring up. To me, Vietnamese sounds very similar to Cantonese, even though they're not related. I think this has to do with them both having tones, and having a similar prosodic quality.

Edited by ZombieKing on 31 August 2012 at 5:32am

2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 84 of 344
02 September 2012 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Sunday, 2nd of September - 32nd week

vocabulary from list: 20 words
hanja: ---
lessons studied: ---
reading: ---
writing: some text chatting
listening: 1 episode of 신의
speaking: I'm babbling to myself in Korean quite often nowadays

It was a very unproductive week for language study... I only added a couple of new cards to the TOPIK intermediate deck, but have been neglecting the audio card deck for some time now. I also haven't done any substantial reading for quite a while. Next week will probably not be much different, as there will once again be too much other stuff going on.

Edited by druckfehler on 02 September 2012 at 11:50pm

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5221 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 85 of 344
03 September 2012 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
힘내! 맨날은 열심히 할 수 없고 때로 천천히, 느긋하게 할 필요가 있어요^^

As to the question on sounding like Japanese or Chinese a few posts up: When I first
started learning Korean I kept hearing that 경상도 사투리 sounded sort of Japanese. And
to my ears at that time it really did! So maybe there's something in the intonation and
'sharpness' of that dialect which could resemble Japanese in some coherent way.
But it's all just fuzzy impressions to me now, since Japanese or Chinese sound so
distinct from Korean to me (with the exception of shared words etc).

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 86 of 344
11 September 2012 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your encouragement :)

Interesting! I had a listen to 경상도 사투리 and I think it really sounds a little similar to Japanese, but only in places, not all of it. And I guess it's the 'sharpness' that makes me think so.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 87 of 344
17 September 2012 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
Monday, 17th of September - 34th week

vocabulary from list: 51 words
hanja: ---
lessons studied: ---
reading: finished 1 chapter of 파페포포
writing: more text chatting
listening: 5 episode of 신의
speaking: none, except for talking to myself

I'm now on to nouns starting with ㄷ from the TOPIK list. I have found that studying in alphabetical order does have some advantages - often enough there is a thematic connection from the Hanja meaning of the first syllable. I'm still not sure whether my current method is the most efficient for studying the TOPIK words (maybe reading would be just as good or even better), but it's still fun.

Unfortunately, my Hanja project has once again ground to a halt. Starting from chapter 2, KLEAR's "Korean Reader for Chinese Characters" introduces pretty complex characters and there's no way I can memorise them without first memorising the radicals. I guess the 214 radicals will take quite some time to learn actively. For now I'll aim for 10 per week and hope I follow through.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4474 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 88 of 344
17 September 2012 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps you could learn only the relevant radicals as you go? That's the way I learnt all my characters for
Chinese, when I would see some part repeating too often I would learn it. I know that some radicals almost
never show up and that some others practically don't help in remembering.
Perhaps you can keep your learning passive?

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version