United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5331 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 217 of 344
16 December 2013 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
Given my recent SRS pruning, I wonder if I should revisit the idea of gold lists for new
vocabulary. Last time I tried them I wasn't as far into the language, but now that I'm deeper
into the language new vocabulary tends to stick better as there is more existing data to link
to new words. I've been debating (while writing up my TAC goals) whether to continue to
SRSing new vocabulary or not and giving gold lists another try may just be the answer I was
seeking.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 218 of 344
16 December 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
I would think goldlisting works better in higher levels, so you might find it more useful this time around if you end up giving it another try. Let us know how it works out!

I've been experimenting a bit and now try to really envision the words in my mind when I read the list I'm working on. It also seems helpful to read the words out loud a couple of times. As Huliganov says not to worry about active production, I only aim at passive knowledge with the lists. I only see them as the first or second step in learning new words, meeting them again in native materials will probably make them active eventually.

At my current level (and after a year of consistent Anki use in 2012) I find the goldlist method a lot more pleasant than using Anki. There's no backlog or need for daily study, I just do the lists when I feel like it and it still seems to work. Of course that can hinder progress, but I hope to remedy that a little with having a goldlist goal in TAC 2014.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4474 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 219 of 344
16 December 2013 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
On the topic of goldlists, I totally agree with you two. Before trying them out, I've read people reviewing the process, and I remember most people found it not to work (some people learning Japanese, if I remember), but I have no idea at what level they were by that time.

I'm now using goldlists for German and have completed the first distillation for around twenty list and the second distillation for a couple of them, and I've found that I always remembered >70% of the vocabulary, so it actually seems to work. I'll see how it fares down the line, but I believe this is a very good method of expanding your passive vocabulary without having to spend an hour per day on Anki. Of course, I still believe in SRS, but probably more for sentences and also to nail down the two or three first thousands of words, which you might want to have active as a beginner.

@druckfehler: 50 lists in a year would be 1250 words. I'm sure that if you read 10 books, you're going to grow many more lists than this! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 220 of 344
16 December 2013 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
The goldlist method seems to have become rather popular these days! I read about them in several logs and in one very interesting thread about a classroom experiment with Biblical Greek (here). I'm glad to read that they're working for you as well, vermillon! I totally subscribe to your comparison of goldlist and SRS and their usefulness at different stages and for different things.

vermillon wrote:
@druckfehler: 50 lists in a year would be 1250 words. I'm sure that if you read 10 books, you're going to grow many more lists than this! :)

You're right, I set a fairly low goal for the lists. I just want to give myself some incentive to not only read, but also study some of the new words I encounter. I will probably learn quite a few words without ever putting them on a goldlist and 50 is just a minimum goal that I feel confident about, I'd be glad if end up doing more.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5331 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 221 of 344
16 December 2013 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
True, but that word count isn't much less than the 1522 (I think that was the number) words
I added during TAC 2012 to Anki, and that number of words should take a lot less time to
review in gold list format than it would in SRS format.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 222 of 344
21 December 2013 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
2013년 12월 21일.

I have started reading "Inside Korea", a bilingual book with fairly in-depth information about South Korea. It covers the topics of geography, history, politics, economy, society, culture, religion, science and technology, North-South relations and differences between East and West and offers a pretty comprehensive overview of the country. Right now I'm in the middle of the first section, which talks about Korea's geographical features. There's a good ratio between things I already know and things that are new to me and it's a surprisingly pleasant, interesting read. I didn't think I would be able to read the book this well - it's very motivating to see that I can. The bilingual factor helps a lot, removing the obstacle of annoying dictionary lookups. I read the Korean text first and only check the translation when I can't figure it out. As always, a lot of the verbs elude me in their exact meaning, but I know more of the relevant nouns than I thought. So far the only things that really stump me are things like "above sea-level", "Palaeocene" or "minerals"… All rather specific vocabulary which I'll mostly ignore (maybe I'll put "minerals" on a goldlist). The book is a great source for systematically adding to my general-knowledge vocabulary and learning words I kind-of-know.

Although I'm not studying any Hanja, I'm appreciating the character system more and more. It's very usefully to be able to guess the meaning of a word based on its components. I'm often struck by the simple and elegant formulations in Korean, while the English translation uses no less elegant formulations, but with far less easily accessible words and constructions (it's a really good translation, though). When I see complicated Korean verbs, I'll often at least know a syllable, so I can guess at their general meaning. I'm starting to think that learning English must be more difficult for Koreans than learning Korean is for someone who speaks English. Korean just seems more logical and straight-forward. This is what drew me to it in the first place (apart from cultural interests) and is probably one of the reasons I never gave up on it.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 223 of 344
21 December 2013 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
A tip I can give to you is to start paying attention to the hanja when you look up words
in Naver and Daum. That has really helped me learn a lot of words alone because the
visual cues make it easier for me to remember as opposed to brute memorization from
English to Korean. When I make SRS cards in Korean, I even include the hanja for Sino-
Korean words, and those are always the words easiest for me to remember. I sometimes wish
Korean used hanja because in some aspects it would make reading so much easier.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 224 of 344
26 December 2013 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
A tip I can give to you is to start paying attention to the hanja when you look up words in Naver and Daum. That has really helped me learn a lot of words alone because the visual cues make it easier for me to remember as opposed to brute memorization from English to Korean. When I make SRS cards in Korean, I even include the hanja for Sino-Korean words, and those are always the words easiest for me to remember. I sometimes wish Korean used hanja because in some aspects it would make reading so much easier.

Unfortunately, just seeing a certain Hanja will tell me next to nothing about its meaning. I only know the meanings of the most basic characters. Do you know a lot of them? In order to use them as visual cues I guess you must know the meanings. I definitely acquire some sense for the meanings of a lot of syllables simply by being exposed to a lot of words that use them, but sometimes I wonder whether a systematic study of syllable sounds and their possible meanings wouldn't be more efficient. Only now am I starting to analyse new words from their syllables and context (when it's not completely obvious) and sometimes it works surprisingly well.

2013년 12월 21일.

I've finished the section about geography and am now reading about Korea's history. Next up is a text about Goryeo. I can really recomment "Inside Korea: Discovering the People and Culture" to anyone who wants to know more about the country and systematically learn new words. So far there is a good deal of repetition of useful verbs and general knowledge nouns. Here are a couple of pages:
지리. 들어가는 말. Geography part: Introduction, 역사. 들어가는 말. History part: Introduction, 과학기숙과 산업. 들어가는 말. Scientific Technology and Industry part: Introduction

Yesterday I wrote my text for the final challenge of the Asian team, summarising some of the things I studied throughout the year. It might be riddled with mistakes, but seeing how I didn't do any writing for a while I was surprised that I could say what I wanted (with some reformulations) without having to look up anything. I'll probably do a more detailed summary in English around the end of the year.

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version