Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 201 of 344
28 October 2013 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
2013년 10월 28일.

Korean 한국어

As usual, I've been reading. I finally started on 삐삐는 어른이 되기 싫어 (Pippi in the South Seas) and I'm already on page 95, halfway through the book. I've been reading without a dictionary and it's pretty easy to understand, although there are 3-10 words per page that I haven't learned yet. I'm also still reading the novel I started in April. For the November open challenge I'm probably going to set the goal to finish both of these books.

I've started using the Goldlist Method that Huliganov recommends, but haven't done much with it lately. The idea is to write down a list of 25 words and their translation, pleasantly read through them and then not look at them again for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I'm supposed to decide on 8 words I know well enough not to keep them in the list to look at again. (And again 2 weeks later 30% of the 17 words are taken off the list until very little or nothing is left and hopefully everything is learned). Supposedly this method activates one's long-term memory instead of the short-term memory. 2 weeks strikes me as a very long period. I'm sure that writing words down repeatedly can be helpful, but I'm not so sure that Huliganov's system works very well. We'll see, I'm definitely curious how this develops.

I'm currently watching 상속자들 (Heirs) and 미래의 선택 (Mirae's Choice) and enjoy both of these dramas. I'm watching without subtitles, but as usual I would miss quite a few details if I didn't also read recaps. I might start working with the transcripts of Heirs (thanks for the info that they're on the SBS site, Evita!)

Edited by druckfehler on 28 October 2013 at 12:47pm

1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 202 of 344
04 November 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
2013년 11월 4일.

Korean 한국어

This week I didn't have much time to spend on Korean. Been visiting friends for a long
weekend and it's usually on the weekends that I find the time for Korean.

What I did do was to distill my first goldlists! A very interesting experience. So far
the ratio of 30% has worked for me, although that doesn't take into account that not
all the words I put on the list were totally unknown to me. I'm using both words from
my current reading (but only those I can find in my 20,000 entries dictionary) and from
a list I started qwhen I was reading a book of Korean poems for children. Verbs are
still my weak spot in the area of vocabulary,, as they have always been.

I've also read two more chapters of Pippi Longstocking. For the team challenge this
month I've decided to finish this book and the novel I've been reading since April. I
hope I can keep it up. The novel is far less challenging now than at the beginning but
it's still slow-going when I want to look up all unknown words - and I do, because that
is the way I learn the most.

Edited by druckfehler on 05 November 2013 at 4:35pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 203 of 344
17 November 2013 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
2013년 11월 17일.

Korean 한국어

Over the past two weeks I quickly finished reading Pippi Longstocking and also read two chapters of the novel that just won't end. Contrary to the intensive reading I usually do (read - look up words while reading the same passage again), I've been doing extensive reading. In Pippi I was usually figure out the unknown words from context and I did learn a few new ones very well(상어 - shark, 선장 - captain, 빗다 - to comb, 이윽고 - same as 마침내 & 결국, etc.). In the novel I'm missing 5-15 words per page and it makes understanding more difficult. There are two types of passages: the ones where the author gets all philosophical go right over my head, the passages where he describes things he sees and his imagined stories about them are fairly understandable. The latter type helps me with word recognition and are moderately interesting. Right now my goal is simply to finish the novel by the end of November, so I'm not too concerned about whether I get around to the intensive reading phase. It might help me to learn more, but simple extensive reading is also beneficial. When I look into other books I have lined up for reading later I notice that they are gradually getting easier for me.

I've been meaning to spend some time on my goldlists as well, but didn't get around to it. I've seen some others considering the method and I'm curious how it turns out for them. Actually, I'm also still curious about how it turns out for me... I'm not convinced yet about the ratio of 30% and the period of two weeks between looking at a particular list. The only thing I know is that writing words down with the intention of just familiarising myself with them works quite well for some words.

While I made a big effort to practice speaking during the first half of the year, my speaking opportunities are pretty much nonexistent at the moment. I've lost contact with my tandem over the summer and haven't been going to the past few Korean-German meetings. I'm sad about it, but it's pretty much a question of priorities and I could make an effort to speak more if I really wanted. When an unexpected opportunity arises where I can speak Korean I do pounce on it... Last week I bothered a random Ahjussi who didn't speak German at a supermarket :D

Lately I've been thinking a lot about my long-term goals for Korean. Although I can enjoy my current level, there is still a vast amount of language to be learned. However, I'm pretty happy with just learning new words and expressions through native materials. The only areas that truly bug me are newspaper language, which I just don't know enough of, and grammar - I can't actively use enough intermediate grammar and don't know enough advanced grammar. Apart from these areas I'm content with slowly learning more words through books, podcasts and an occasional movie. I'm not even very interested in Kdramas anymore... I tried watching episodes 6 and 7 of 상속자들 (The Heirs) while reading the scripts and underlining unknown words, but just got annoyed with the series. I know drama language pretty well and most series just seem a waste of time.

Persian فارسی

Part of my thoughts about Korean have to do with really wanting to start studying Persian seriously. Right now I'm getting my boyfriend to teach me some words and random sentences I want to say to him. Because I already know some basics, it's fun and helps me get to know the language a little better. When he talks on the phone I ask about frequent words and sometimes understand the topic he talks about. It's very motivating. Even better, when I was visiting my friend and her Kurdish boyfriend I even understood some of the words he was saying on the phone because I know similar words in Persian. I can't wait to linguistically delve into this part of the world.

I'll probably start studying Persian in earnest in a couple of month. I know which materials I want to work with and my boyfriend can help me with reading (pronouncing words correctly) or record sentences for my Anki audio sentence method, so I have pretty much ideal study conditions. The only thing that may get difficult is finding the time...

Edited by druckfehler on 17 November 2013 at 6:55pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5331 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 204 of 344
17 November 2013 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
In Pippi I was usually figure out the unknown words from context and I
did learn a few new ones very well(상어 - shark, 선장 - captain, 빗다 - to comb, 이윽고 - same
as 마침내 & 결국, etc.). In the novel I'm missing 5-15 words per page and it makes
understanding more difficult.

I haven't learned 빗다 yet, but the others I know. I picked up 상어 and 선장 from variety TV
(패밀리가 떴다 for those two words, I believe). 이윽고 I originally saw in 노인과 바다 (the
Korean translation of "Old Man and the Sea") but didn't add it to Anki until I came across it
in my Survival Korean Vocabulary book (as I made a rule of not adding SRS entries from
extensive reading; otherwise it isn't extensive and I'm likely to stop reading as much). One
note: SKV mentioned that 이윽고 is generally used in writing only, not so much in the
spoken language.

Edited by Warp3 on 17 November 2013 at 7:11pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 205 of 344
17 November 2013 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
One note: SKV mentioned that 이윽고 is generally used in writing only, not so much in the spoken language.

I thought as much, as I can't remember ever hearing it. Still, sometimes I think they just be content to have two synonymous words and not more. But that's language :) Maybe someday I'll be happy to have lots of Korean synonyms at my disposal so I can make stylistic choices... It happened with English, but I wonder if that day will ever come for Korean.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 206 of 344
22 November 2013 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
2013년 11월 22일.

Korean 한국어

I've hardly spent time on Korean since my last update. Maybe I'll find the time to read some more of the novel I planned to finish for the November challenge (I still have 80 pages left). I'm busy writing my thesis, so I'm either spending time on it or happy not to be doing anything that challenges my brain.

However, I did read a couple of Korean articles on Advanced Korean and have to say I was surprised to get as much out of it as I did. I noticed that the translation are not always very accurate grammatically, but I don't have to rely on them much anyway. What really helps is that they give translations for difficult words. I think if I read all of their articles for a couple of months (they post twice a week), I'd be ready to dive into extensive reading of regular newspapers.
2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 207 of 344
23 November 2013 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
What I find helps with newspapers is a mix of intensive and extensive reading while
focusing on one area (for example, politics). Read one article intensively, then read
articles about a similar topic extensively. Rinse and repeat. I did this for
entertainment articles and can read most of them at 90%+ comprehension, but then again,
entertainment is the easiest to understand. I started doing this for politics and it's
helping me, though there is a lot more to learn.
3 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 208 of 344
25 November 2013 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
That sounds like a good idea. I did something like that for a while with newscasts about daily life in North Korea and while they covered many different topics it helped a lot that some words like "the authorities" or "defectors" were repeated. Unfortunately the videos wouldn't play properly most of the time (Koreans really should think about making theirs sites more user-friendly for people who don't use microsoft...). So I stopped trying to watch these eventually.

Are there any newspaper sites you would recommend?

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version