Tuesday, 6th of November - 41st week

vocabulary from list: 18 words
new audio cards: 12
extensive reading: 23 pages of 콩쥐팥쥐
intensive reading: 8 pages of 한국 대표 동시 100편
listening: 1 episode of 차칸 남자
speaking: self-talk
writing: 1 hour of chatting

I finished reading 콩쥐팥쥐, the Korean version of Cinderalla which I have reviewed here.

I've also volunteered to help subtitling King of Dramas (드라마의 제왕), which promises to be a good drama from what I've seen so far. Subbing proved quite difficult because of the fast, complicated speech of the characters, so I expect to improve my listening skills quite a bit if I manage to help out regularly. I was surprised how many mumbled words I was able to figure out with the help of some intuition and the dictionary.

new grammar:

-ㄹ까 싶다 I suspect that..., I wonder if perhaps...

Edited by druckfehler on 07 November 2012 at 11:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 114 of 344
11 November 2012 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Sunday, 11th of November, 42nd week

new vocabulary from list: 48 words
extensive reading: 1 blog entry
intensive reading: 7 pages of 한국 대표 동시 100편, 38 pages of 한국의 역사문화: 한국의 중세자
listening: 2 episodes of 드라마의 제왕, 1 episode of 차칸 남자
speaking: self-talk

My Anki picture card deck now contains all the TOPIK Intermediate nouns starting with the letters ㄱㄴㄷㄹㅁ. It would be a shame not to share a deck so much work has gone into, so I decided to upload the first installment for anyone who is interested. It's probably useful even if you're not interested in taking the test - it has boosted my understanding a great deal already. As of now the deck contains 636 cards, which can be sorted by frequency. I'll be releasing 2 more parts of similar size. It will probably take a few months until the next installment, though.

The design of the cards looks like this when I'm using them:

You'll be asked to fill in the noun, often including the appropriate ending(s). I've noticed that this helps immensely in raising awareness for fine grammatical differences. The sentences were mostly taken from naver.dict, but I also used other sources like wikipedia, blogs and captions of the images I used. Some sentences are fairly easy, some are quite difficult. I don't understand all of them, although I try to remember what they mean. I find this a good method for getting used to challenging reading material and as you progress through the deck the sentences will automatically become easier thanks to the words you're studying. If you find the sentences too challenging or time-consuming, you could also change the format to something like this:

Anyway, I zipped the deck and uploaded it to mediafire and you're welcome to use it. I'm still using Anki 1 and hope there won't be problems with importing it to Anki 2. The file size is around 15mb. Let me know if you have any questions or requests.

Download: Intermediate TOPIK Nouns 1

I also started reading a new book this week. It's a bilingual comic in English and Korean called 한국의 역사문화: 한국의 중세자 (Korean Culture and History: Medieval History of Korea) by SeSe Publishing. It's pretty cool to learn about Korean history - the book is the 2nd volume in a series of three and starts with the founding of 고려 (Koryeo) and ends somewhere in the middle of 조선 (Joseon) with King Sejong and the Imjin War with Japan. It's perfect for picking up historical, political, military and diplomatic vocabulary and being bilingual makes it easy to read on the go (I usually read the Korean sentence first and then check the English translation for unknown words). I'm thinking of adding some of the words that come up to Anki.

Edited by druckfehler on 12 November 2012 at 1:22am

2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 115 of 344
13 November 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
I'm wondering if my language lust will motivate me to do other things, things I have been procrastinating on to a truly horrifying extent... How about I reward myself with a Persian review if I finish the planned project until the weekend?

Let's see what the seductive powers of Persian are capable of ^^ The challenge is on.

Edited by druckfehler on 13 November 2012 at 2:12pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 116 of 344
19 November 2012 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Sunday, 18th of November - 43rd week

new audio cards: 2
extensive reading: 1 forum thread, 1 website
intensive reading: 4 pages of 한국 대표 동시 100편, 28 pages of 한국의 역사문화: 한국의 중세자
listening: 3 episodes of 차칸 남자, 2 episode of 드라마의 제왕

I had a rather lazy week language-wise. I didn't add any new words to Anki and fell behind on reviews a bit. At least I watched a lot of TV, I guess :D I have almost finished Nice Guy, which is a shame - it was quite enjoyable and great for studying Korean. Song Joong-Ki and Moon Chae-Won have such a clear enunciation. I particularly have a crush on Moon Chae-Won's manner of speaking. Every time I watch an episode of Nice Guy I hear her speak for an hour afterwards. I know, it may sound a little strange...

Thanks to the Comic I'm reading, which is basically a parallel text, reading is quite casual at the moment. It's very motivating not to have to look up words, although I sometimes shake my head at the inaccuracies of the translation.

It looks like Persian will have to wait until next weekend. I'm getting extremely interested in this language again. I guess it just took me a whole year to shake off the Persian burnout I got from last November's 6WC. Maybe it's a side-effect of getting a bit complacent about Korean after hypothetically passing TOPIK level 4 and noticing that I understand enough to happily watch dramas without subtitles. Of course there is a lot of work left to be done, especially regarding vocabulary and active language use, but I don't feel a desperate drive to improve at the moment.

Edited by druckfehler on 19 November 2012 at 3:45am

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4761 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 117 of 344
19 November 2012 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
You seem to be accidentally interested in the tongues of Axis of Evil:D

Edited by Ojorolla on 19 November 2012 at 4:27am

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 118 of 344
19 November 2012 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
I tried so hard to make it look coincidental, but you still uncovered the connection... :D

I do seem to be interested in the languages of countries who regularly show up in the news, but usually I get to know some people who speak the language and then decide to study it, as was the case with Hebrew and Persian. It seems like I'll be adding more languages from war-torn nations and/or those that disrespect human rights, because I meet so many refugees these days. Accidentally, Arabic would also be very useful ;)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 119 of 344
25 November 2012 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
Sunday, 25th of November - 44th week

new vocabulary from list: 24
extensive reading: 1 blog entry, reread 3 pages from 세상에서 가장 무서운 이야기, reread 11 pages from 김치를 좋아하는 마녀
intensive reading: 5 page of 덕혜옹주, 3 news items
listening: 2 episodes of 드라마의 제왕, 3 news items

I've found a favourite Korean news item which I plan to watch regularly. It's a KBS broadcast called 요즘 북한은 (These days in North Korea) and seems to always feature two observations about new developments in North Korean society. The topics are taken from everyday life (new products, food, education etc.), which makes them easier to listen to than news reports about politics and economics. What's even better, they include a script. 요즘 북한은 comes out every Saturday on KBS1 and is a 5 minute segment of a program called 남북의 창.

This week I went through a report on a salt farm and the Kimjang season. I figured out most of the terminology, but I have no idea what is meant by 해방, which translates as "liberation, emancipation". Can anyone tell me which time/event this refers to? It came up in the sentence: 해방 전부터 북한에는 염전이 많이 세워졌는데요.

I listened to the report several times made a lot of audio cards. I think it's a good time to increase the difficulty of my listening material. The audio cards I made from TTMIK and Korean Language Adventure are almost too easy nowadays, because I'm too familiar with the speakers. They are still useful for reviewing and learning vocabulary, but I think they no longer help to hone my overall listening skills. Sentences from the news are more of a challenge concerning speed and complexity.

Edited by druckfehler on 25 November 2012 at 4:27pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5331 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 120 of 344
25 November 2012 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
This week I went through a report on a salt farm and the Kimjang season. I figured out most of the terminology, but I have no idea what is meant by 해방, which translates as "liberation, emancipation". Can anyone tell me which time/event this refers to? It came up in the sentence: 해방 전부터 북한에는 염전이 많이 세워졌는데요.

My initial guess would be that "liberation" would be referring to Korea being freed from Japanese imperialist rule.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version