Joined 6348 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 329 of 344
12 May 2015 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
Evita wrote:
But learning Korean handwriting is something I should have done a long time ago. I only practiced for a week and it was not difficult at all, and now I can finally read handwritten notes.

Can you tell me where you learnt it? I'd love it if my handwriting didn't look like a five year old... :)

I wrote about it in my log. Basically I took a text in Korean, copied it into MS Word, changed the font to Nanum Pen, made it light grey, printed it out, and practiced writing over the letters. You'll have to install the font before you can use it though.
2 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4474 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 330 of 344
12 May 2015 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! That looks like a very good idea indeed!
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 331 of 344
02 June 2015 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
2015년 6월 2일 Week 23

Textbook Lessons: 3
GLOSS Lessons: 1 1/2
TV News Items: 10
Written Bits and Pieces: 4
TOPIK (practice) tests: 3

Current Super Challenge Count
Books: 51
Movies: 57

Last week I returned from holiday in Croatia. 꽃보다 누나 probably was indirectly involved in my plan to go there :) I had wated to see Plitvice Lakes 'someday', but what really made me want to go was a friend in Korea who told me her colleague was working another job on the weekends to earn money for a holiday in Croatia after seeing the series. Croatia was great, I especially loved the clean sea water (my first time to be surrounded by a group of fish while swimming :)). And Plitvice was impressively beautiful. I saw quite a few Koreans and wondered if they also got the idea through 꽃보다 누나...

On the holiday I started reading 1cm+ - I like it even more than its predecessor 1cm. I wish they had a German translation I could give to friends as a present. I'm also finally on the Economy section of "Inside Korea". I can't believe how good this book is for study. It's pushing the limits and helping so much to advance my vocabulary and understanding of complex sentences.

Even though I haven't finished watching 꽃보다 누나 and 미생 yet, I started watching 힐러, which has quite a following on Dramabeans. I just find 70-80 minute episodes too long to watch, 60 minutes is perfect for an evening on a work day.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 332 of 344
10 June 2015 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
2015년 6월 10일 Week 24

Textbook Lessons: 3
GLOSS Lessons: 1 1/2
TV News Items: 10
Written Bits and Pieces: 4
TOPIK (practice) tests: 3

Current Super Challenge Count
Books: 51
Movies: 68

힐러 is fun. I marathoned most of it over the weekend. The first 15 episodes had substitles, but I watched the last 3 without. There was only one place where I wish I had understood more (what exactly is on the trucks of that farmers organisation?)

I'm happy to report that I've finished the Economy part of "Inside Korea" and am now on to Society. This feels easier to read (but also because I now know a few more economy relate words) and promises to be less dry. Five chapters down, five to go. I can't emphasise enough how great this book is for me at this point. The writing style, words and expressions I'm getting used to now would have been difficult to learn through any of the other Korean books I have (mostly fiction and two psychology/buddhism books).

TOPIK results are said to be out on June 16. They'll be uploaded on their website, but I'm not sure I can access it. Can't find my test number... not sure if I've thrown it out... hmm...

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6348 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 333 of 344
10 June 2015 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
I'll keep an eye out for "Inside Korea" when I go on my trip, it sounds like a very useful book.

As for Healer, you can get the episodes as well as the subtitles here. It's my favorite drama this year. Not that I've watched many.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4428 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 334 of 344
21 June 2015 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
How did the results go for the TOPIK in the end? :)

I guess I should look for that book as well, sounds like a great read.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 335 of 344
24 June 2015 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
How did the results go for the TOPIK in the end? :)

The moment of truth has arrived... :) Actually, it turned out pretty much the way I predicted. I passed level 5 and missed level 6 by a margin of 9 points. What a shame!

Here's my score:

Writing: 43
Listening: 84
Reading: 94
Total: 221 / 73.67 % =Level 5

Reading went well, so the good score is no surprise. I'm pretty sure that most of the missed points in Listening were from the first half of the listening test. The questions are supposed to be easier (aimed at intermediate), but they are played only once. It's extremely difficult to keep up with listening, reading the answers and marking the answer sheet... The 'difficult' questions are actually easier than the easy ones, because they are repeated once which makes it much easier to follow along.

My Writing score is quite low... I didn't practice writing at all (I should've...), but I thought the fill-in-sentence questions and the first essay went very well and I also wrote at least 1/3 of the long 50-point-essay. I expected the score to be a bit better. I just hope that part of it is because the examiners couldn't read what I wrote (I wrote the essays with the wrong pen, the one that's for marking the multiple choice questions). But the bitter truth is probably that my grammar needs a lot of work. And it also looks like they are not evaluating writing as leniently as in the old format anymore. Or maybe it just seems that way because writing no longer has any multiple choice questions.

It could be a good thing that I didn't pass level 6. It means I will write the test again next year and I know I can pass level 6 if I actually prepare for the writing section. I'm thinking about signing up for the output challenge... And I really need to make my personal compendium of grammar and phrases useful for essay writing. Let's see what I can do. Most of all I need to find a specific time I can devote to writing - maybe I'll have to restructure my commute and do grammar/writing instead of reading.

Edited by druckfehler on 24 June 2015 at 1:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 336 of 344
26 June 2015 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
I speak Korean :) I mean, I've updated the language to "Basic Fluency". I think this now reflects my level quite accurately. I also had to fill in a language survey at work recently and described my Korean as "fluent" (but not business fluent, which would have been a level higher). I wonder whether I'll ever reach a point where I consider myself at "Advanced Fluency" in Korean... That may simply not happen, no matter how much I continue to learn. As long as I don't live in Korea, there will always be too many gaps in my knowledge... And I'm still far from having intellectual discussions in Korean (although at least I can read intellectual essays now, with some dictionary look-ups).

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version