Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4428 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 281 of 344
01 October 2014 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
와~~ 짱 좋은 곳에 갔나 보네! 다음엔 나도 그럴 곳으로 꼭 갈거야! 그런 하이킹 코스를 서울의 근처에서 해 번 적이 없어서 그렇게 예쁜지 몰랐어 ㅎㅎ

그리고 책을 끝나서 축하해~ 내용이 어려웠는 것 같은데 다 알아먹을 수 있어서 레나트가 틀림없이 대단해.

다음 책은 무슨 책이야?
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 282 of 344
06 October 2014 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
2014년 10월 6일. Week 41.

Goldlists: 2
Podcasts: 42
Books: 7
-----
News Items: 11 (read) 14 (watched)
Written: 30
Conversations: 15 (in Germany) + immersion in Korea
Grammar Practice: 6

I haven't studied much since my last update. I was busy preparing for a job interview (and needed a head full of English, not Korean) and then went hiking over the long weekend.

But since the last update already got so long and I still wanted to say something more about book 3 of Sogang Writing I'll go over that now. I've now completed the preliminary chapters and half of chapter 1. The first part of the chapter had a text introducing the topic, vocabulary and grammar exercises. The second part was pretty interesting - lecture note taking. I listened to one longer and two shorter lectures about Korean internet language and its differences to Western internet language, as well as verbal and written communication in general. They had a length of more or less 5 minutes - not very long, but good for practicing listening and note taking. It wasn't as difficult as I imagined, though note taking in Korean felt very different and more challenging. Seems like my listening skills got pretty good during my time in Korea - I understand most things as long as I actually know the words. Next up is a sub-chapter on thesis writing, which I'm procrastinating on :D

yuhakko wrote:
다음 책은 무슨 책이야?

I'm reading the psychology workbook about emotional regulation now and it's a great source of useful vocabulary and phrases. It's the first longer argumentative/non-fiction text I'm reading in Korean. But it's not the same as reading a novel... I feel like reading it slowly, bit by bit, so I'll probably also start on another novel soon for quantity :)

Edited by druckfehler on 06 October 2014 at 10:29pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 283 of 344
20 October 2014 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
2014년 10월 20일. Week 43.

Goldlists: 2
Podcasts: 43
Books: 7
-----
News Items: 11 (read) 14 (watched)
Written: 30
Conversations: 16 (in Germany) + immersion in Korea
Grammar Practice: 6

Crap... I accidentally edited this post instead of quoting... It talked about my need to find another novel to start reading after finishing 기찻길 옆동네 and about not studying much, except for reading, because of lacking motivation. I also mentioned that it was hard to do immersion in Germany because it's a bit isolating when I only have my language exchange to speak Korean with. If I'm immersed I want to use Korean more to communicate and because I usually can't (except with my tandem) it demotivates me from immersion and thus hinders my progress.

Edited by druckfehler on 02 November 2014 at 6:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5778 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 284 of 344
20 October 2014 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
I have often felt this way with Japanese, to the point that I've nearly given it up many times over. After a Japanese friend who lived in my city moved back to Japan, I was left with nobody to have a proper face to face conversation with. I still get to practice on Skype once or twice a week, but about 50% of this only happens because I pay a tutor to speak to me.

I very rarely watch English TV shows and movies any more, and I find that leaves me with a bit less common ground to share with English speaking friends and colleagues. I know that there's no point me starting to talk about something I particularly enjoyed in Japanese without soon sounding like a bore. Even worse is the pain of having seen or read something particularly funny in Japanese, which cannot be shared because as soon as you have to explain a joke it stops being funny.

And yes, if I've been watching a lot of TV, I find myself wanting to use Japanese more. I sometimes speak Japanese to my husband as a result. He doesn't usually understand, but occasionally he surprises me.

It sucks, but then I started learning Japanese knowing full well that I was unlikely ever to live and work in Japan. Part of the challenge was just to see how far I could get. I have revised my expectations, so for speaking I would just like to maintain my B1+ skills. However, when it comes to reading there is still a lot more I could do, so I just have to keep going!

By the way, your log has for a long time been an inspiration for me. Although we don't share the same target language, I think the challenges are sometimes similar.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Youngbin
Diglot
Korea, South
youngbinlee.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5027 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Korean*, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 285 of 344
21 October 2014 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
와~~ 짱 좋은 곳에 갔나 보네! 다음엔 나도 그럴 곳으로 꼭 갈거야! 그런 하이킹 코스
를 서울의 근처에서 해 번 적이 없어서 그렇게 예쁜지 몰랐어 ㅎㅎ

그리고 책을 끝나서 축하해~ 내용이 어려웠는 것 같은데 다 알아먹을 수 있어서 레나트가 틀림없이 대단
해.

다음 책은 무슨 책이야?

Your Korean is really good! But as a native speaker, I found a few things that don't sound natural
to me. Would that be rude if I make some suggestions?

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 286 of 344
21 October 2014 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Good to see you here Youngbin! Unfortunately we don't have Koreans visit the forum that often. How are
your language studies going?

I can't really answer for yuhakko, but I guess he wouldn't mind - personally I think it's great to get some
feedback. Not rude at all :)

Edited by druckfehler on 21 October 2014 at 1:26pm

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3843 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 287 of 344
21 October 2014 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Hi @druckfehler!
How are you doing? You know, I discovered the existence of http://www.viki.com/ and I
would really like to be able to watch the series in Korean :) But question, how much time
is needed to reach the level needed for this activity (completely overlooking written and
oral production)? On a side note, I find impressive that you can read psychology books in
Korean! Congratulations :)

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4428 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 288 of 344
22 October 2014 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Youngbin wrote:
Your Korean is really good! But as a native speaker, I found a few
things that don't sound natural to me. Would that be rude if I make some suggestions?

Please do! I almost never get corrections when I talk with my friends so mistakes end
up being a habit..

@Druckfehler: I've had that feeling so many times. Unfortunately there's no real
solution. I too, as G-bod, tend to lose some common topics with my friends as I don't
watch nor read the same things. Plus, wanting to express himself in the target
language is only normal.
It might seem like a bad solution, but personnaly I've come to terms with it. I got
used to being able to use my languages on a daily basis and just look forward to any
opportunity where I can use any.
Staying in touch with the natives you know helps a lot as well. I've been in touch
with my Korean friends on and off for the past 2-3 years and it helps not lose all
sanity ;)

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version