Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 257 of 344
02 April 2014 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
한국어로 답글을 받으니 정말 좋네요 ^^

저도 저 글을 썼을 때 사전을 좀 이용했는데요... 제 상황에 대해 얘기하려면 구술시험이나 구직 활동이나 원서같은 단어들을 꼭 알아야 해요. 구절이란 말은 얼마 전에 전진희의 팟캐스트에 나왔고요. 독해력이란 표현은 저도 어제 처음으로 봤는데 의미가 잘 맞는 것 같아서 막 사용했어요. 이 단어가 정말 좋죠. 독서와 이해와 능력을 합치면 독해력을 만드는 것은 꽤 단순한 일이죠. 그런 점 때문에 한국어를 좋아해요.

그런데 글쓰기는 괜찮지만 말하기 실력은 여전히 형편없어요.

일하면서 한국말을 써서 점점 향상시킬 수 있으면 얼마나 좋겠어요... 그런 일을 찾아 근무할 수 있을지 모르겠지만 한국어와 관련된 구인 광고를 열심히 읽고 있어요 ^^

Edited by druckfehler on 03 April 2014 at 12:08pm

1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 258 of 344
07 April 2014 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
2014년 4월 7일. Week 14.

Goldlists: 2
Podcasts: 21
Books: 1
-----
News Items: 6 (read) 11 (watched)
Written: 13
Conversations: 4
Grammar Practice: 3

These days I'm happily reading Anne Frank's Diary. It seems to help a lot with speaking and writing, or maybe that's getting easier because I don't have to think about university anymore now that I've graduated. I met my tandem today and this time it felt a little more natural to speak Korean. The words come out more easily and sometimes I even seem to get the grammar right :) I hope we can meet every week now. It's looking good so far.

I'm noticing that writing is also getting a little easier nowadays. I'm not having as much trouble with reformulations - I can actually often express things the way I want to express them. I might even feel comfortable with writing TOPIK Advanced type essays by next spring if I continue on this trajectory.

Edited by druckfehler on 07 April 2014 at 9:19pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6348 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 259 of 344
08 April 2014 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on your graduation! Also, it seems that your Korean is progressing very nicely. I'm too lazy to read all your posts in Korean but did you say that the advanced grammar book finally arrived? If so, what is your impression of it?

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 260 of 344
08 April 2014 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 

The books haven't arrived yet. They're shipping directly from Korea. I got a confirmation on the 13th of March and the site claims that shipping usually takes 2-3 weeks, so the books should be well on their way. I've read about 6 weeks up to a few months in other places, though.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 261 of 344
05 May 2014 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
2014년 5월 5일. Week 18.

Podcasts: 25
-----
News Items: 6 (read) 13 (watched)
Written: 15
Conversations: 6

Hmm, lately there's been lots of change and challenge in different areas of my life, so I haven't found much motivation for Korean. It looks like that's going to change now, though. I want to focus more on Korean again. I really, really want to be able to pass the highest level of TOPIK and be able to write and speak fairly comfortably.

After a bit of a break I've resumed reading Anne Frank's Diary and I'm now on page 142 (out of 466). There's a lot of text on each page, so it will probably take me a while until I finish the book. Depending on the topic of the passage and focus - or some other mysterious force - my feelings about reading fluctuate quite a bit. Sometimes it seems like I'm making considerable progress and my reading skills are getting better, at other times I'm still fairly mystified about whole passages. In those cases I'd be lost without contextual knowledge.

I've registered for the Super Challenge again, because reading and listening are my main TAC goals anyway. I now feel like it's possible to read 50 pages per week, at least theoretically. There are also many other goals I have for Korean: write essays, study and practice new grammar, do GLOSS lessons...

Evita wrote:
did you say that the advanced grammar book finally arrived? If so, what is your impression of it?

It's finally arrived! I haven't worked with it yet, but it looks pretty similar to the intermediate book. For each pattern there's a dialogue to introduce the pattern. They opted for one dialogue which is a bit longer this time (maybe due to the complexity of the patterns). Then they explain the grammar forms and their usage (문법을 알아볼까요?) and again use the sentence building exercise (이런 때는 어떻게 말할까요?), this time giving you a specific context for all the sentences. The last section again has exercises (연습해 볼까요?), but they seem more varied in the advanced book. There are exercises where you have to match two parts of a sentence, exercises where you have to make complete sentences and exercises where you have to fill in part of a sentence.

The patterns themselves range from useful (meaning I've met them fairly often in my reading or listening) to obscure (meaning I can't remember having come across them yet). They say that they used a lot of the grammar from TOPIK advanced. If you take all three books together they really seem to offer quite a comprehensive overview of Korean grammar.

With the grammar book, I also got the young adult book 늑대소년 (Wolf Boy) that was recently made into a movie. The descriptive passages are a bit challenging, but there's a fair amount of dialogue. Seems like a good choice for my current level as there's a fair amount of dialogue. I'll write more about it when I'm reading it, so far I've only looked at the first few pages.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6348 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 262 of 344
06 May 2014 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the review. It sounds like I will be getting it in the future.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 263 of 344
11 May 2014 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
2014년 5월 11일. Week 19.

Podcasts: 27
-----
News Items: 6 (read) 13 (watched)
Written: 15
Conversations: 6

Over the past two week I marathoned the drama Miss Korea, which was a nice watch. Sometimes annoying side characters stay annoying throughout the drama, but in this one they actually became funny and even managed to elicit my sympathy. While I didn't much miss watching KDramas, I noticed that they are extremely effective for getting me into Korean mode.

I'm probably going to Korea in July/August! I'm signing up for Sogang university's 5 week immersion program, just for speaking practice and for the sake of having something to do :D So for the most part I'd stay in Seoul in a 하숙집 or 고시원, but after the program finishes I want to do a tour around some Islands in the yellow sea and just relax. It should all be finalised in the next two weeks. I'm excited! This will probably do a lot for my Korean and I'm excited to see how much more enjoyable this visit will be now that my language skills are worlds better than last time.

Edited by druckfehler on 19 May 2014 at 11:06pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 264 of 344
13 May 2014 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
I loved Miss Korea. Definitely one of my favorites of all time and easily the front
runner for best drama in 2014.

I'm glad to see that you're visiting Korea again. At your level, the only difficulty I
could see you having is simply needing to build up the mental endurance of using Korean
so much throughout your trip. Just make sure to try to befriend Koreans instead of just
speaking in English with the other foreigners after classes.

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version