United States
Joined 5240 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 145 of 344
17 January 2013 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to spell "felan" (means something like "for now" and can be used to
say goodbye)?

فعلا
If you have any questions about Persian spelling, please don't hesitate to post them in my log or PM me. I'm much
faster that way! I'm glad you are liking Chai and Conversation. I have not listened to much of it since it came out
after I'd already been studying Persian for quite a while. Maybe I will type up transcripts in the Persian alphabet this
year as a little project. :)

فعلا خداحافظ
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean

Message 146 of 344
17 January 2013 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
!مرسی
I don't think I would ever have figured out how to spell فعلا on my own. Looks very different from how it sounds. Next time I'll make sure to PM or post on your log :)

1 person has voted this message useful

Élan
United States
Joined 5240 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 147 of 344
17 January 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
خواهش می کنم
That kind of invisible "n" sound is called tanvin.
Here is some
information on tanvin.   :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 148 of 344
19 January 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
2013년 1월 19일. 2013年1月19日. دی ۳۰ ۱۳۹۱.

Korean 한국어

Last Saturday I met my new Korean tandem partner and she's great! We have lots to talk about and I'm glad she's a little older than me and I can call her 언니 (big sister) :) She's also not an exchange student but has been living in Germany for a couple of years. When we met for the first time we immediately started talking Korean, which was great. I was really surprised that I'm now able to carry on a normal conversation in Korean, although I still run into problems with abstract topics, my language is very simple, sometimes I forget words or speak very slowly and I overuse certain grammatical patterns while not using others at all. We've met twice so far and already spent 6 hours talking, half the time in Korean and half in German. Our favourite topics are food, culture and traveling.

I also read quite a bit this week. I'm about to finish a bilingual Manhwa about Korean medieval history, read a horror story for kids and started on another bilingual book about a fight against ants that have invaded an apartment (개미의 탑). Reading bilingual books is quite relaxing compared to my kamikaze method of semi-intensive reading with dictionary look-ups. I read the Korean text first and try to figure out as much as I can, check with the English translation and lastly figure out the meaning of some of the unknown words.

Persian فارسی

I didn't actually study anything this week, but I met my Iranian and Afghan students and was glad to understand some words they used. I understood that they were talking about
...زندگی ما
When I asked we ended up talking about Asylum for a while which was really unsettling. I just can't imagine how hard it must be to live in constant fear of a rejection, which may mean constant fear for one's life. I already worry about what in comparison are totally insignificant things... Anyway, I'm getting side-tracked.

I want to start an audio-sentence deck for Persian, because I realised how useful that is for drilling vocabulary in context. I just need to find some time and motivation to get started. Before the challenge started I also looked through the Children's Library and selected a couple of books that seemed understandable. It was fun to figure out some words, so I want to get back to those books. The only definite disadvantage in Persian is that I might learn a new word by reading and still not quite know how it's pronounced. But I noticed that I already know a couple of words by pronunciation only from songs, so I'm sure reading will be productive.

Mandarin 中文

I regained some real motivation for Chinese this week! I didn't do any actual study, but I've been listening to some Jay Chou and watched 3 episodes of "Love Actually" (爱的蜜方), a mainland drama. The drama itself isn't very interesting, but I'll watch almost anything for Joe Cheng :D I've noticed that there's an advantage to boring dramas: I'm following the text closely and try to match the subtitles with the little spoken Chinese I understand or recognize from similar Korean words. It's fun to do for half an hour.

Right now I feel motivated to learn some basic verbs, but I want to start by looking closely at the pronunciation. From my Korean studies I feel that it's a good idea to read a couple of phonetic descriptions and know what to listen out for. For the past year or so I've collected several good articles about tones etc. that I want to read through systematically and note down what I find important. I'll share those articles once I start working on them.

Edited by druckfehler on 19 January 2013 at 9:54pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 149 of 344
26 January 2013 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
2013년 1월 26일. بهمن ۷ ۱۳۹۱.

Korean 한국어

This week I finally got back to the TOPIK vocabulary list and make Anki cards for 31 new items. I'm no longer as patient with reviews as I used to be, but I found that listening to Gugak (Korean traditional music) is a great way to get through them and get some enjoyment out of it. There's a lot of music available for free on this site. Check out Kim Soo Chul ("Best Music for Films" and "Festival"), Ihm Jae Won ("DaeKum") and JEONG for different kinds of instrumental music.

Once again I did quite a bit of reading. Whenever I take a bus or train I read in Korean, which is proving to be a good routine. First I finished the comic about Korean medieval history, which made me curious to learn about it more in-depth. Once I have awesome Korean skills I'll certainly read some history books. I'm almost done with the bilingual short story/novella "Tower of Ants" and also read another scary children's story about a ghost ship. I seem to be assimilating more words based on reading now. Low effort extensive reading seems to be within my grasp.

Persian فارسی

Yesterday I was invited to an Afghan meal of Kabuli Palao with a couple of friends.
غذا خیلی خوشمزه بود
I learned a few new words which I'm afraid I promptly forgot and totally failed at eating with my hands... Later we watched a movie, which was quite an experience. It struck me as a combination of Bollywood (song & dance), a Korean drama (plot of first love as children, objection by parents and deathly cancer) and a home movie. Interestingly it had English subtitles, which were sometimes understandable and sometimes not. I understood a couple of words, which was nice.

I'm doing well with immersion with native speakers and music, but I know that what I'm lacking to progress is structured study. That's why I decided to sign up for the 6WC with Persian. I should be able to carve out at least 30 minutes per day.

Edited by druckfehler on 26 January 2013 at 10:55pm

Élan
United States
Joined 5240 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 150 of 344
27 January 2013 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:

Yesterday I was invited to an Afghan meal of Kabuli Palao with a couple of friends.
غذا خیلی خوشمزه بود

خوشحالم که از غذا لذت بردی
khoshhalam keh az ghaza lezat bordi
I'm glad you enjoyed the food

-or-

خوشحالم که غذا را دوست داشتی
khoshhalam keh ghaza ro doost dashti
I'm glad you liked the food

I'm glad you enjoyed the food--sounds like a great way to practice Persian! I'm also anxious to read your
updates once you start the 6WC and kick your studying into high gear. I am going to register too although I have
not decided what language yet. Maybe Somali. :)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 151 of 344
29 January 2013 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
I'm always happy to read your comments, Élan! ِEverytime I learn something new :)

So far I only knew the word/expression سر حال for "happy, in a good mood". Are there more words with that ending like خوشحال and سر حال?

I'm looking forward to reading about your Somali studies! Are you deciding between Somali and Arabic for the 6WC?

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 152 of 344
31 January 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
My Wish List for the 6 Week Challenge

I've been thinking about my goals for the 6WC, but as I'm not sure how much time I will really have, I'm calling it my wish list. If I get all of the listed things done I'll be very satisfied - if not, no big deal. I'll still know more Persian than I do right now.

Spoken and Colloquial Persian:
  • listen up to "Chai and Conversation" lesson 20 and put the sentences into Anki
  • look through the "Farsiyadbegirim" videos on youtube
  • do "Culture & Video" lessons 1-4 of "Persian Online" (University of Texas)

Language Courses:
  • work through lessons 1-4 of "Sprachkurs Persisch" and put sentences into Anki
  • work through lessons 1-4 of "DLI Basic Dari"

Other:
  • practice my spelling and handwriting
  • learn words through song lyrics
  • write a text to introduce myself
  • watch a movie in Persian

Instead of trying to barrel through one course from beginning to end I've chosen to focus on the basics and get as much variety and practice in them as possible. With the mentioned resources I'll cover colloquial Farsi, Dari and formal Persian. It's important for me to get a footing in all of them, because I want to both be aware of the rules in formal Persian as well as be able to understand actual speech. I'm curious whether focusing on Farsi and Dari at the same time will confuse me or be helpful for identifying the differences.

I think the different lessons will nicely reinforce and supplement each other. Besides focusing on different areas of the language, they all follow different teaching concepts. "Chai and Conversation" and "Farsiyadbegirim" move at a very comfortable slow pace and teach the basics without much focus on grammar. "Sprachkurs Persisch" moves at a fast pace and focuses on the grammar, as well as on fairly random texts, but also provides some good speaking exercises for new words and grammar. I'm most excited about "DLI Basic Dari", because that course follows the strategy of task-based language learning and therefore will probably be very useful for actual communication. I like the layout and focus on culture as well. "Persian Online" will hopefully prepare me for the speed of a real conversation.

Edited by druckfehler on 02 February 2013 at 11:11pm

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version