Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4428 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 225 of 344
26 December 2013 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Gosh, everytime I see you talk about korean, I really think I've got a long way to go
before even ("just") your level! (the "just" is like this because by no means it's
already quite the accomplishment!).

I'll be looking forward to your full detailed summary!
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 226 of 344
27 December 2013 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
TAC 2013 YEAR-END REVIEW

FAILED:

durckfehler wrote:
Persian Goals:

I feel that this will be my main "study language" for now - and maybe for the whole of 2013. I would like to be able do the things people can usually do at level A2, like having basic conversations. I'd also like to learn more about the culture of Iran and Afghanistan.

durckfehler wrote:
Mandarin Goals:

There are no milestones I want to reach with Mandarin this year. If I do study Mandarin, I want to be motivated by an inherent passion for the language instead of ambition. Basically, my goal is to resurrect that passion and see where that takes me - and if no real passion for Mandarin shows up this year, I will leave the language for later.

While I started out with three TAC languages, Chinese never really got going and I dropped out of the Middle-Eastern Team quite early. I only really made any progress with Persian during the latter half of the year, when my boyfriend taught me some new words and expressions. I would say I'm around a low level A1. Persian basically got postponed for a year - I'm determined to make solid progress in 2014. But I have opened a separate log for that.

PARTIAL SUCCESS:

durckfehler wrote:
Korean Goals:

One definite goal I have for Korean is a leftover from last year. I want to pass TOPIK level 4 (high intermediate) in April. I also hope to have regular meetings with a tandem partner to improve my speaking skills. And I'm determined to complete all team challenges of the Asian team.

• I passed level 4 of the TOPIK Intermediate exam with a comfortable margin of 80.5%.

• I only completed 5 of the 8 Asian team challenges.

• I found a tandem partner and met up about 10 times with her for a couple of hours each. I got a lot out of it, but we lost contact over the summer. I also participated in a number of Korean-German meetings and got to practice Korean with several different people at different politeness levels. I made an effort to speak Korean whenever possible and even resorted to sort-of-stalking a random Ahjussi at a supermarket…

Other Improvements

Listening: I listened to many podcasts this year which drastically improved my listening skills. I also watched a couple of unsubbed dramas. I was able to pick up some new words this way, but most importantly I can now follow fast speech a lot better than at the beginning of the year. Depending on the topic and speaker, I can sometimes understand almost every word in podcasts, the general trajectory and then some in dramas and also understood most of a TED talk I listened to. In newscasts, I usually understand the topic and a couple of details. The last time I tried natural conversation between native speakers was still very difficult to follow, but I can usually glean at least the topic and the basic direction.

Reading: I read seven books throughout the year: one comic, three children's books, two bilingual novellas and a novel. I also started a non-fiction book a couple of days ago. I made noticeable improvements in reading fluency and word recognition and although it's hard to quantify I think I learned between 500-1000 new words through reading. Most of my reading was intensive, but I read Pippi Longstocking and half of the novel extensively. Extensive reading even with gaps in understanding was very beneficial, especially as regards understanding complex grammatical structures. I'm now able to process them a lot faster and need at most one re-reading to get it.

The more Korean I learn, the more I become aware of how much I have yet to learn. Although I passed the high intermediate TOPIK, I'm still hesitant to claim a B2 level in any skill. I think my speaking and writing are at a solid B1 level, although I need to be immersed to some degree to really make the most of them. Reading and listening are probably approaching B2, but it might take me another year to truly feel comfortable enough to label them as such.

Edited by druckfehler on 27 December 2013 at 3:27am

5 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 227 of 344
01 January 2014 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
2014년 1월 1일.

이제 새로운 해가 시작된다. 또다시 한국어 공부를 열심히 할 목적이다. 이번 해에는 이 공부기록을 가끔씩 한국말로 쓰기로 한다... 잘 될 건가?

12월에 결정한 대로 여러 가지 팟캐스트 100개의 에피소드를 듣고 Goldlist 50장 쓰고 또 책 10권 읽으려고 한다. 팟캐스트부터 시작할 작정이다. "전진희의 음악일기"와 "장기하의 대단한 라디오" 몇몇의 에피소드를 엠피 쓰리에 올렸다.

이 로그에서 일요일마다 내 공부소식을 기록할 거다.

lang-8 correction wrote:
이제 새로운 해가 시작된다. 올해도 한국어 공부를 열심히 할 생각이다. 이번 해에는 가끔씩 한국어로 글을 남기겠다... 잘 할 수 있을까?

12월에 결정한 대로 여러 가지 팟캐스트 100개의 에피소드를 듣고 Goldlist 50장을 쓰고 책 10권을 읽으려고 한다. 팟캐스트부터 시작할 작정이다. "전진희의 음악일기"와 "장기하의 대단한 라디오" 몇몇 에피소드를 엠피 쓰리에 넣었다.

일요일마다 여기에 글을 남길 것이다.

---------------------

Because I now feel fairly comfortable doing it, this year I will try to sometimes write my updates in Korean. Corrections and Korean comments are very welcome! Of course, English comments are just as welcome, in case you were wondering ;)

Edited by druckfehler on 01 January 2014 at 8:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5331 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 228 of 344
01 January 2014 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
In case you aren't already aware of the reason for the 한국말 to 한국어 correction you
received, 한국말 is generally only used to refer to the spoken language. 한국어 refers to the
language in general and is also the more formal of the two terms (for those scenarios where
both words would work).

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 229 of 344
01 January 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! Now that you mention it, it makes sense that 한국말 only refers to speaking. I never thought about it before, I was only aware of the difference in formality.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 230 of 344
05 January 2014 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
2014년 1월 5일. Week 1.

Goldlists: 0
Podcasts: 0
Books: 0
-----
News Items: 0 (read) 1 (watched)
Written: 2
Conversations: 0
Grammar Practice: 0

지금 "본드걸 미미양의 모험"이라는 책을 읽고 있는 중이다. 재미있고 그다지 어렵지도 않다. 읽을수록 새로운 단어들을 점차 알게 된다. 이 소설과 함께 Inside Korea라는 책도 계속해서 읽고 있다. 전혀 다른 내용의 책 두세 권을 동시에 읽는 것은 좋은 공부 방법인 것 같다.

I always seem to confuse 주제 with 제목. While I had originally written "다른 제목의 책", I used the suggestion of 내용, because it seems more idiomatic than 주제.

--------------------------------------

I started reading a new novel in Korean, which is called "Bond Girl Mimi's Adventure(s)". It's humorous and not all too difficult. I think I can learn some new expressions through extensive reading. Interestingly, I often find that I understand much more when I reread a passage. Already knowing an approximation of its meaning maybe makes it easier to focus on analysing unknown words.

I've decided to once again keep track of my study activities in my log, like I did in 2012. The first three categories are my official goals for TAC 2014, the rest are miscellaneous activities which I plan to do to in some capacity throughout the year.

Edited by druckfehler on 05 January 2014 at 2:33pm

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4926 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 231 of 344
05 January 2014 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Goldlists: 0
Podcasts: 0
Books: 0
-----
News Items: 0 (read) 1 (watched)
Written: 2
Conversations: 0
Grammar Practice: 0

What are the units you measure progress in?

Good luck with Korean this year!

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 232 of 344
05 January 2014 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for stopping by!

My measuring system is not very sophisticated.

Books are measured per title, regardless of the number of pages (I think variety is more important than sheer volume).

Podcasts are measured by episodes (also regardless of length).

I'm measuring goldlists by the number of first distillations I make, which are my first entries into a book I use for these vocabulary lists. I do the initial list in another booklet, because I do them in a more disorganised fashion.

News items are either short reports on a specific topic (of 3-5 minutes each) or articles, counted by number.

I'm also counting writing by frequency and not by volume. That's because I want to encourage myself to simply write more often, regardless of length. I probably won't count anything less than 4 or 5 sentences, though it depends on how challenging they are.

Conversations are the same - I'm counting frequency, regardless of length.

Grammar Practice refers to the number of new grammar patterns I study and do exercises for. It looks like I'll mostly count completed lessons from "Intermediate Korean Grammar in Use".

Edited by druckfehler on 08 January 2014 at 11:18pm

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version