United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5331 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 241 of 344
16 February 2014 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
I'm starting to feel the same way about the later episodes of Let's Speak Korean. They'll
introduce a concept I already know well then explain it in such a confusing way that it makes
me glad I already know it or I'd have no idea what they were talking about. In fact, I'm
tempted to drop LSK out of my TAC 2014 goals completely and just dive into some other
sources.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 242 of 344
16 February 2014 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
I'm really mystified how Advanced Korean could mess up, for example, the logical order of simple relative clauses, but I think they have English speakers double check whether the translations sound natural and that's how it happens.

Who is LSK produced by? Native Koreans or Native English speakers fluent in Korean? Or an unholy union of both and neither are truly proficient in both languages? It's so hard to find people who know Korean really well (those are usually only Koreans, except for some great examples from HTLAL - Leurre, TheRealCZ, KoreaninKuwait - Wow!) and can actually explain the language in a way that makes sense. Looking into other materials sounds like a good idea in any case, I think. At your level, I don't think you truly need all the second language instruction stuff anymore and native materials are so much more fun.

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4926 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 243 of 344
16 February 2014 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
I'm very proud of myself for not doing anything much in Korean this week :D There just isn't time and brain space. I read one article from Advanced Korean but every time I double-check with their translation the slight mistakes they make, which sometimes change the meaning, irritate me to no end. Either my Korean sucks or their Korean sucks. I strongly suspect that their grasp on Korean grammar needs some work...

Have you ever thought about using native materials to study Korean? I'm thinking of Korean schoolbooks or tutoring materials. I'm sure there's stuff on the web.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5331 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 244 of 344
16 February 2014 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
The main teacher in LSK (in the seasons I've been watching anyway, since the season
prior featured a middle-aged Korean lady) is Stephen Revere. He is from the US and had
been studying Korean for 8 years or so at that point (which he mentions in one of the
earlier episodes). His co-host is Lisa Kelley who is also a US native (neither are ethnic
Korean, nor are the students they have in each episode) but both have been living in
South Korea for several years. Most of the crew of the show appears to be Korean
though (based on the credits at the end) and the show aired on South Korean TV (Arirang
TV to be precise), so I would assume he had at least some native Koreans assisting him
with proofing things.

I'm thinking about switching my focus back to TTMIK for a while since I never really got
that far through their lessons. I finished level 1 and started level 2, but most of the
content in those was more review than anything by the time I started them. However
from what I've read here about the content of some of the later levels, I think it would
still be a useful resource for me at this stage (where I absorb plenty of native content
and have for a few years now, but need to refocus on grammar to help clarify things).

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 245 of 344
16 February 2014 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
Have you ever thought about using native materials to study Korean? I'm thinking of Korean schoolbooks or tutoring materials. I'm sure there's stuff on the web.

I use native materials all the time, but usually not the kind of things you mean. Even Advanced Korean uses native newspaper articles, but try to make them more palatable for learners (well, less palatable for me, it seems). The closest I came to it was a book of poems geared at primary and middle school kids which worked extremely well. I read quite a few children's books when I started to read extensively.

I must say when you posted an image from your Thai schoolbook, it looked like fun. It would probably be great for vocabulary and cultural understanding. I'm not sure where to find these things on the net, though. Children's books or videos are easy to find, but real school books... no idea. Right now, I'd rather read things like Anne Frank's Diary or even a novel than material aimed at kids (it's all expensive, so I'd rather get more difficult things :D). While I'm definitely not at 98% understanding of novels, it still works very well. I can tolerate some ambiguity and still learn a lot of words. I really need to investigate Korean libraries, though... I think I might be lucky and find one around here and if they have some schoolbooks that look fun I'll try your method.

Edited by druckfehler on 17 February 2014 at 10:38pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 246 of 344
17 February 2014 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
I'm thinking about switching my focus back to TTMIK for a while since I never really got that far through their lessons. I finished level 1 and started level 2, but most of the content in those was more review than anything by the time I started them. However from what I've read here about the content of some of the later levels, I think it would still be a useful resource for me at this stage (where I absorb plenty of native content and have for a few years now, but need to refocus on grammar to help clarify things).

True, the later lessons from TTMIK seem really promising, especially as regards production. They also seem to explain some of the grammar patterns where explanations are hard to come by. I've used them occasionally to clarify things and liked what I saw. But I have to say that the sheer wealth of resources on their site sort of overwhelms me. Kind of sad :)

I also need to catch up on grammar, especially as regards active skills. I'm still waiting for my tandem to give me a life sign (she said she'll be back from vacation this week). If we manage to meet again semi-regularly I think it would be the perfect opportunity to practice grammar patterns and I'm planning to use "Korean Grammar in Use" to read up on explanations and usage and to do a couple of exercises.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 247 of 344
23 February 2014 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
2014년 2월 23일. Week 8.

Goldlists: 1
Podcasts: 15
Books: 1
-----
News Items: 6 (read) 11 (watched)
Written: 8
Conversations: 1
Grammar Practice: 1

This week I went through two GLOSS lessons, something which I hadn't done for a while. I tried level 2+, which is supposed to correspond with B2, this time. One article I read was about a strike by Vietnamese workers, one was about female job seekers and inequalities in the application process. The first article was very difficult to read, the second one a little easier. I learned quite a few new useful words, such as 인종차별 (racial discrimination), 성차별 (gender discrimination), 구직자 (job seeker), 채용과정 (hiring/application process). I'm reminded of how much of a boost GLOSS can give - nowadays I still profit from GLOSS lessons I did two years ago when I try to read reports. Maybe GLOSS is the shortest road to a solid B2 and to understanding the news. But GLOSS lessons are slightly painful (=really challenging) and take quite a bit of time to get through...

Another thing I did was to transcribe an entire 전진희 podcast. This dictation activity has two advantages: I become a lot more aware of the structures used and I become aware of all unknown words and can look them up. Found a couple of useful ones this way as well: 천둥번개 (thunder and lightning), 규범 (standard, norms), 구절 (line, passage, paragraph), 인용하다 (quote, cite), 파악하다 (comprehend, figure out), 정의하다 (define), 상충되다 (contradict, conflict with)...

It looks like I'll finally meet my tandem this week; plus I got an email by another prospective tandem. I'm looking forward to speaking Korean - or trying to speak Korean - even though I already know that I will think I suck. While my speaking skills have pretty much stayed the same since last summer and have probably slightly regressed, my listening skills improved quite a bit, so I'll probably be frustrated about all the things I can understand but not express. But I know I need practice to overcome this problem and there is some joy in the process as well.

Edited by druckfehler on 23 February 2014 at 11:16am

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6348 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 248 of 344
23 February 2014 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with the speaking practice. And by the way, I like that you write out the new words you encountered, it gives me a chance to see what's ahead for me. I recently added "discrimination" to my Anki deck but otherwise the words didn't seem familiar.

druckfehler wrote:
True, the later lessons from TTMIK seem really promising, especially as regards production. They also seem to explain some of the grammar patterns where explanations are hard to come by. I've used them occasionally to clarify things and liked what I saw. But I have to say that the sheer wealth of resources on their site sort of overwhelms me. Kind of sad :)

Well, for a beginner it's easy to tell what to do - just go to the grammar lessons and start learning. But for an intermediate learner like you I would suggest going to More Lessons -> Video Lessons and explore each type starting with "Ask Hyojin". I would also recommend starting with the oldest ones, not the newest ones. But it doesn't matter a lot because even though they are called "Video lessons" they're mostly just videos talking about a particular expression or something related to the Korean culture.

What I long for the most is for them to add Level 8 and Level 9 to the Curriculum page but it doesn't seem like they will ever get around to that.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version