Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 249 of 344
23 February 2014 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! The only TTMIK resource I've used regularly so far are the Iyagi lessons and they are great. I thought I'd probably check out the more advanced grammar lessons, but there's just so much stuff :D Also, I bought "Korean Grammar in Use Intermediate", which I like a lot and is probably enough grammar training for now. As far as I remember, even the more advanced grammar lessons are mostly in English... Or maybe I didn't get to the really advanced ones?

I hadn't thought about TTMIKs video lessons at all, thanks for the suggestion! Some of the titles of "Ask Hyojin" sound quite interesting, but I'm put off by the fact that most of it is in English. TTMIK Talk and the Advanced Korean lessons seem like what I'm looking for, though.

You might recognize the components of 구직자 from 구하다 (to look for, seek), 직장 (workplace) and -자 (person). I love words that are easily taken apart like this, makes remembering them so easy.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6348 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 250 of 344
23 February 2014 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Thanks! The only TTMIK resource I've used regularly so far are the Iyagi lessons and they are great. I thought I'd probably check out the more advanced grammar lessons, but there's just so much stuff :D Also, I bought "Korean Grammar in Use Intermediate", which I like a lot and is probably enough grammar training for now. As far as I remember, even the more advanced grammar lessons are mostly in English... Or maybe I didn't get to the really advanced ones?

No, they are all basically in English but the later levels have more and more Korean banter. I wouldn't want them to suddenly start explaining everything in Korean because I wouldn't understand it. I think they're going to keep the explanations in English for all ten levels.

I haven't systematically gone through level 9 yet but the most advanced grammar point in level 8 was -ㄹ 따름이다, I think.

Quote:
I hadn't thought about TTMIKs video lessons at all, thanks for the suggestion! Some of the titles of "Ask Hyojin" sound quite interesting, but I'm put off by the fact that most of it is in English. TTMIK Talk and the Advanced Korean lessons seem like what I'm looking for, though.

Yes, most of the videos are in English but most of them are also quite short (less than 5 minutes I think) so I think it's worth checking out if you see a subject that interests you.

Quote:
You might recognize the components of 구직자 from 구하다 (to look for, seek), 직장 (workplace) and -자 (person). I love words that are easily taken apart like this, makes remembering them so easy.

I did recognize all three components, I just meant that I hadn't seen the word before :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5331 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 251 of 344
23 February 2014 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Like druckfehler, the Iyagi lessons are the only ones I've really used all that much. I need to
get back to going through the main course and also trying out some of their Youtube videos
(I've been subscribed to their YT channel forever, I have just never taken the time to watch
any of them). Especially since (as I posted in my log today) I didn't do any LSK lessons this
past week, so if I'm going to stop doing one then I need to pick up the other to take its
place.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 252 of 344
01 March 2014 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
2014년 3월 1일. Week 9.

Goldlists: 1
Podcasts: 18
Books: 1
-----
News Items: 6 (read) 11 (watched)
Written: 10
Conversations: 2
Grammar Practice: 1

I did meet my tandem this week. It's been a long time, so we had lots to talk about. We've decided to meet once a week again, like we did a year ago. As expected, my spoken Korean sucks and it annoys me. But it was great to have the opportunity to actually speak Korean again and to see what needs work. I'm thinking about making an inventory of idiomatic phrases and grammatical constructions. It might help me to memorise the Korean equivalents to English and German phrases and constructions I often use. Maybe I really have to map them out like this. I also want to work through "Korean Grammar in Use - Intermediate" and write more. But before my exams, I won't do much repair work on my spoken Korean, so the next few meetings will probably be like this week's. Depending on what my life looks like after graduation, I might look for a second tandem. I would love to dive into speaking Korean to make some solid progress.

Korean podcasts are still my no. 1 go-to when I'm stressed (excepting yoga). Focusing on the language helps me to relax, which is really a great side-effect of language study.

Edited by druckfehler on 01 March 2014 at 2:38pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 253 of 344
09 March 2014 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
2014년 3월 9일. Week 10.

Goldlists: 2
Podcasts: 18
-----
Written: 11
Conversations: 2

I haven't really spent much thought on Korean this week. Seeing as I've basically done nothing, I did the first distillation of a goldlist that had been waiting for a while. It wasn't easy. While I remembered about 5 out of the 25 words quite well, I had a hard time choosing the remaining three. For the first time I decided to eliminate a word because it's not easy to remember and not that important either. Interestingly, I seem to be remembering it more after the decision - does that confirm the mechanism of throwing words out to make them stick better? 1st and 2nd distillations are sometimes difficult, the third is usually easy - often to the point where I want to throw out more words than required. It depends a bit on the makeup of the list, though.

So far, I've been a bit lousy with the goldlists this year. I've been making some distillations from last year's 10 lists, but haven't been adding new lists continually. I'm not sure yet how I'll make sure I achieve my goal of 50 lists this year, but maybe I'll feel more compelled to focus on vocab later in the year.

Edited by druckfehler on 09 March 2014 at 8:53pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 254 of 344
16 March 2014 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
2014년 3월 16일. Week 11.

No study, no immersion this week. I ordered some more books, though. It's high time I started working on more advanced grammar, so I ordered the brand-new Korean Grammar in Use - Advanced. I want to work through intermediate and advanced at the same time, going by topic. That way it might be easier to distinguish all the different usages. I also ordered the book version of 늑대소년 (A Werewolf Boy). It's young adult fiction and looks like it will be a nice read. I'm looking forward to the delivery - looks like heyeonni is cheaper than the German option, but their choice of books is also rather limited.
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 255 of 344
01 April 2014 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
2014년 3월 31일. Week 13.

Goldlists: 2
Podcasts: 21
-----
Written: 12
Conversations: 3

지난 수요일에 마직막 구술시험을 봤더니 이제 막 졸업생이 됐어요! ^^ 조만간 구직 활동을 시작해야 해도 한두 주간 그냥 편하게 살아서 그동안 하고 싶던 일들이 다 하려고 해요. 이젠 억지로 공부해야 할 게 하나도 없어서 한국어 독학에 잘 집중할 수 있을 것 같아요.

요즘은 한국어로 번역된 Anne Frank's Diary인 "안네의 일기"를 읽고 있어요. 이 책을 청소년때 벌써 독일어로 읽었지만 내용이 많이 기억나지 않아요. 거의 영어로 쓴 것처럼 쉽게 읽을 수 있는 구절도 있지만 잘 이해하지 못하는 구절도 있어요. 읽을수록 독해력이 나아지겠죠.

그럼 안녕. druckfehler로부터. (안네가 항상 이렇게 써요.)

lang-8 correction wrote:
지난 수요일에 마직막 구술시험을 보고난 뒤 이제 막 졸업생이 됐어요! ^^ 조만간 구직 활동을 시작해야되지만 한 두 주간 그냥 편하게 지낼 수 있어서 그동안 하고 싶던 일들 다 하려고 해요. 이젠 억지로 공부해야 할 게 하나도 없어서 한국어 공부에 더욱 잘 집중할 수 있을 것 같아요.

요즘은 한국어로 번역된 인 "안네의 일기"를 읽고 있어요. 이 책 청소년때 벌써 독일어로 읽었지만 내용이 많이 기억나지 않아요. 거의 영어로 쓴 것처럼 쉽게 읽을 수 있는 구절도 있지만 잘 이해하기 힘든 구절도 있어요. 읽을수록 독해력이 나아지겠죠.

그럼 안녕. druckfehler로부터. (안네가 항상 이렇게 써요.)

Seems like I made a decent amount of mistakes :)

Edited by druckfehler on 01 April 2014 at 3:23pm

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4428 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 256 of 344
01 April 2014 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
읽으면 읽으도록 진짜 한국어 잘 한다 보내요. 이 작은 글에서 벌써 몰르는 마리를 생각보다 많았어요
(그렇게 많지 않았는데 생각보다 조금 더 있었다는 말이에요). 그래도 요지를 아는데 안 찾아면 세부
사항을 못 알아먹었어요.

암튼, 대학 드디오 끝났군요. 축하해요~! ㅎㅎ 구직 활동은 화이팅! 저도 12월에 졸업 할테니까 준비
해야돼죠. ㅋㅋ 구할 일은 한국어를 쓸 수 있는 일인가? 아니면 상관 없어요?

그럼 안녕. 유학고로부터 (그런가? ㅎㅎ )

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version