Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4474 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 73 of 344
19 August 2012 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Ah! Reading your log makes me wonder why I stopped learning Korean. Hopefully I'll get back to it soon to prepare for April's TOPIK. Your log is truly useful in that regard, and I look forward to hearing from how well you fare with your Anki deck.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 74 of 344
26 August 2012 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Sunday, 26th of August - 31st week

new vocabulary from list: ---
lessons studied: ---
Hanja studied: 13
writing: a lot of text chatting
reading: 1 "chapter" of 파페포포 투게더
listening: 4 episodes of 신의
speaking: ---

So, this week has seen a major innovation: I decided that I should tackle Hanja for real. Mostly I decided to do that in order to start studying Mandarin while not actually starting to study Mandarin. I'm not sure if I would want to study Hanja if I didn't have plans for Chinese. I've found that knowing the meaning of certain syllables is enough help for understanding and learning new vocabulary. Knowing the most common meanings of those syllables is important, but knowing how the characters are written doesn't really matter in terms of vocabulary acquisition.

For Hanja study I'm going to use all the resources I can get. My main text will be KLEAR's "Korean Reader for Chinese Characters" published by the University of Hawaii. This book introduces around 500 most common Hanjas with text and exercises. To learn the characters I'm going to use the excellent German site Täglich Chinesisch and the equally wonderful Chinese-Characters.org. To reinforce my knowledge I downloaded the Anki deck "The 1800 Hancha (Hanja )". I'll learn the characters in the order in which my textbook introduces them, supplement the vocabulary cards with information from the two websites and make up my own mnemonics when needed. I thought I'd do RTH, but it doesn't seem necessary. So far I can easily come up with good ways to memorize characters - ways that make sense to me instead of someone else's (often extremely random) stories.

Concerning text chatting, I got the "한국분인줄은 몰랐네요" (I didn't know you're Korean) reaction for the second time and am feeling a little proud of myself :D Shared Talk got too stressful - there would be requests popping up all the time and a good percentage of those were from weirdos, while many other conversations never really got past introductions. The crazy ranges from horny guys who have mediocre German skills but excel in dirty talk to marriage proposals to obsessions with mixed-race babies... Speaking of which, what's up with "Kid Uljjangs" (Uljjang is a Korean term for people with a pretty face who get popular on the internet and beyond because of their appearance)? Anyone else find that totally creepy? (Well, I guess American kid beauty contests are no different.)

I'm now trying my luck with InterPals. It seems like all the random creepers from ICQ and Skype migrated there, but that's inconsequential. There are also many people who are genuinely looking for penpals and language exchange and I'm liking the experience so far. I also found out that there are semi-regular meetings for Koreans in Germany and Germans interested in Korea near the place I live. I hope I can go to their next meeting - they usually seem to meet at a Korean BBQ place, which is a bonus.

Edited by druckfehler on 27 August 2012 at 1:40am

2 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4474 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 75 of 344
26 August 2012 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
I decided that I should tackle Hanja for real.

I'm very happy to read that! I'm definitely expecting to read about your experience with that textbook, as it will surely be on my bookshelf when I get back to Korean in a few months. So don't hesitate to post about it!

druckfehler wrote:
Concerning text chatting, I got the "한국분인줄은 몰랐네요" (I didn't know you're Korean) reaction for the second time and am feeling a little proud of myself

You can be proud! That sounds really amazing, and I wish I was clever enough to make the choice to stick to Korean for the whole year, but eh, that's perhaps for next year. Anyway, congrats on that, and I look forward to the day some Koreans praise your German skills, because that day you'll be one of them! ("wow, never seen a Korean speaking so good German!")

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 76 of 344
26 August 2012 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
That sounds really amazing, and I wish I was clever enough to make the choice to stick to Korean for the whole year, but eh, that's perhaps for next year.

...says the person doing the awesome Assimil experiment. :) I'm amazed you have so much motivation for multiple language study. Though I do look forward to the time when you get back to Korean - the more the merrier.
vermillon wrote:
Anyway, congrats on that, and I look forward to the day some Koreans praise your German skills, because that day you'll be one of them! ("wow, never seen a Korean speaking so good German!")

In that case I'd have to pretend to be Korean in the first place, I guess. Someday that might be possible over the net, but will be a tad more difficult in person :D

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4323 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 77 of 344
27 August 2012 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
Ahhh that is so awesome that you're studying the Hanja now!

In case you're interested in learning the 214 radicals, you can find a list of them on wikipedia called the 214 kangxi radicals. In the main list, it doesn't show you the Korean pronunciation, however if you click on the radical itself, it takes you to a page with the native Korean reading and Sino-Korean reading.

Anyways, GOOD LUCK!!!!! I'm sure you won't need much though! ^_^

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5331 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 78 of 344
27 August 2012 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
So, this week has seen a major innovation: I decided that I should tackle Hanja for real.

좋다! 漢字 萬歲! (한자 만세!)

Quote:
I thought I'd do RTH, but it doesn't seem necessary. So far I can easily come up with good ways to memorize characters - ways that make sense to me instead of someone else's (often extremely random) stories.

In my experience, some characters stick easily on their own (especially the ones you still see frequently on TV), but others need mnemonics to finally stick. I had considered using RTK or RTTH, but found that for many characters I was making up my own stories anyway, so I didn't really need that aspect of it. The keyword thing could be useful (especially for those characters that have vague or multiple definitions), though. Also, keep in mind the RTK/RTH is designed for active recall of the characters from the keyword. All the cards I have are passive cards instead, where I produce the reading(s) and meaning(s) from seeing the character. At one point I was adding Kanji Damage keywords to my cards, but only a few of them have it (since I stopped doing that fairly soon after starting). For those that do, I consider the keyword an acceptable replacement for the meaning when I'm answering the card.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 79 of 344
27 August 2012 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
Nice to see all the enthusiasm about Hanja :)

vermillon wrote:
I'm definitely expecting to read about your experience with that textbook, as it will surely be on my bookshelf when I get back to Korean in a few months. So don't hesitate to post about it!

I'm really liking it so far. My level seems about right to understand the texts effortlessly (although there are some words I have to look up) and I like to read them before looking at the list of new Hanja. So far (in lesson 1&2) much can be figured out from context. The only thing I dislike is that there are no explanations of how the Hanja work in combination. I hope this doesn't become a problem further along...

I have yet to figure out what 三三五五 is supposed to mean, for example. 3355 (as in threethousand...)? or 3-3-5-5? Also, what does a dot in the middle , as in 六 · 二五 mean? Is it a date (June 25)?

ZombieKing wrote:
In case you're interested in learning the 214 radicals, you can find a list of them on wikipedia called the 214 kangxi radicals. In the main list, it doesn't show you the Korean pronunciation, however if you click on the radical itself, it takes you to a page with the native Korean reading and Sino-Korean reading.

Thanks for the tip! I decided that I'll learn the radicals as they come up instead of the original plan of first studying all radicals - I don't yet know whether that's a wise decision, but I wanted to get going right away with the Hanja reader.

Warp3 wrote:
In my experience, some characters stick easily on their own (especially the ones you still see frequently on TV), but others need mnemonics to finally stick. I had considered using RTK or RTTH, but found that for many characters I was making up my own stories anyway, so I didn't really need that aspect of it. The keyword thing could be useful (especially for those characters that have vague or multiple definitions), though. Also, keep in mind the RTK/RTH is designed for active recall of the characters from the keyword.

To be honest, I think I only know about 15 Hanja passively from seeing them in Korea and the media... Maybe I should watch more entertainment programs or sageuk dramas? Because my ultimate goal are traditional Hanzi, I'm studying both for passive and active recall. Active recall is definitely the tricky part and so far the mnemonics I made seem useful for that.

Edited by druckfehler on 27 August 2012 at 11:27am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5331 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 80 of 344
28 August 2012 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
To be honest, I think I only know about 15 Hanja passively from seeing them in Korea and the media... Maybe I should watch more entertainment programs or sageuk dramas?

Most of the ones I've seen were on variety shows (mostly because they have tons of on-screen text, unlike sitcoms and dramas). Characters like 男, 女, 大, 王, and 美 in particular show up very frequently on-screen on Korean TV (and I've seen 忍 a surprising number of times as well). If you've picked up 15 or so Hanja from Korean media, though, you've probably already got most of the ones they use regularly.

Edited by Warp3 on 28 August 2012 at 1:15am

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version