1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 169 of 344
29 April 2013 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
2013년 4월 28일.

Korean 한국어

I've been spending my Korean time as usual, mostly reading and listening to radio shows. I think this is a great combination of activities, as I usually learn new things through reading and my listening time works very well to reinforce them.

I'm now on page 60 of the postmodern novel 어떤 작위의 세계 (A World of Artificiality), which is still fun to read. The whole novel seems to consist of a string of random thoughts, so it's always interesting what comes next. The sentences are long and the grammar advanced, so it's definitely challenging. I'm reading intensively, looking up all unknown words, because I want to understand the details and know that it's great for learning vocabulary. I like the repetitive style of the author, which works like a built-in SRS for me. I also started reading 덕혜 옹주 (Princess Deokhye) extensively. It's a young adult novel about the last princess of the Joseon dynasty during Japanese occupation. I'm glad I can pretty much enjoy the book without a dictionary now and follow the plot well. I'll be reading this when I'm not at home.

Drama-wise, I'm currently watching "You're the Best, Lee Sun-Shin", which is not at all challenging to understand. The only character I consistently have trouble with is the grandmother, who speaks dialect.

I really enjoyed reading 덕혜 옹주. I read it twice last year (at the beginning of the year and again at the end of the year). The first time I had trouble with it, but the second time was fairly easy. It was a nice change of pace from the usual work set in the Japanese occupation era where some Korean is out to get revenge upon the Japanese.
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 170 of 344
05 May 2013 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
2013년 5월 5일.

Korean 한국어

The Real CZ wrote:
I really enjoyed reading 덕혜 옹주. I read it twice last year (at the beginning of the year and again at the end of the year). The first time I had trouble with it, but the second time was fairly easy. It was a nice change of pace from the usual work set in the Japanese occupation era where some Korean is out to get revenge upon the Japanese.

It looks like there are several versions out there. Which one did you read? I'm reading a young adult novel (덕혜 옹주: 조선의 마지막 꽃 by 류탁희), which is probably easier to understand than the other ones. It's still kind of frustrating to read extensively, though. I feel like I'm missing too much to really enjoy it. Most of that political and royal vocabulary goes right over my head.

I'm continuing as usual, mainly just casually consuming native materials. I've found two new podcasts/radio shows I want to listen to occasionally:

이동진의 꿈꾸는 다락방: This show has already ended, but the old episodes are still available. I've decided to look at the Saturday episodes first, because they have a section called 세계로 가는 기차, where the presenter takes his listeners on imaginary trips to different countries. So far I've listened to one episode.

라디오 독서실: This show basically works like an audio book, which is a very nice change from spontaneous (or scripted) radio talk. I've listened to one episode, which had a short story about a woman who is fed up with her single office girl life and tries magic to get a husband (옥상에서 만나요 by 정세랑). The being that does arrive on her rooftop eats people's disappointments, so she starts to take disappointed people to her "husband" and he eats away all their sorrows. It was fun and I was surprised that I could enjoy the story, although of course I didn't understand everything.

I think it's a good idea to shake things up a bit with the podcasts now that I'm pretty much used to the ones I usually listen to. I mostly pick out a favorite section or day to listen to and don't even try to follow all the episodes. By now I understand them so well that it's easy to figure out which sections I like more and which I like less.

I've decided to learn grammar for the May challenge, something which I've been neglecting for a long time. I'm looking forward to improving this area and think it will definitely boost my speaking skills if I manage to activate the new patterns I learn.

Edited by druckfehler on 05 May 2013 at 10:29pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 171 of 344
06 May 2013 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
I read this one. I didn't even know there were other versions haha.

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5994 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 172 of 344
06 May 2013 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
They must be very popular--I've seen both those versions very often while browsing in stores around here.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 173 of 344
06 May 2013 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Haksaeng wrote:
They must be very popular--I've seen both those versions very often while browsing in stores around here.

I suppose Dok-Hye's biography has everything a good Korean story needs: national pride, lots of tears and desperation, anti-Japanese sentiments, an incurable illness possibly involving memory loss... ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 174 of 344
12 May 2013 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
2013년 5월 12일.

Korean 한국어

I've decided that it's high time to return to structured study. Enjoying native materials is great and it does help a lot, but to give my active skills a boost I need more organised active practice.

I think that stagnating in Korean grammar while trying to learn to speak is a rather bad idea. If I want to improve my speaking skills instead of ingraining silly mistakes, I need more grammar and vocabulary. I feel like I don't have that much influence on the vocabulary I'll be able to use actively. To help it along a bit I have started a new Anki deck for words that strike me as immediately useful - for gaps of knowledge I really want to close right now.

However, I think I have far more influence over grammar and also find that it's more important to root out grammatical mistakes. The vocabulary will take care of itself with practice and exposure. For grammar it seems most beneficial to read some clear, detailed and contrastive explanations with examples and then to construct a lot of sentences, so that's what I'm doing.

I've started working through the online version of Intermediate College Korean, mainly for the structure it provides. As the grammar explanations aren't very detailed, I supplement them with other sources like TTMIK. I read the texts, do the exercises and add the occasional word as well, but so far the lessons feel very leisurely and most of it is just repetition. But repetition is also beneficial and I'm enjoying my return to structured textbook learning. I'm sure there will be more new grammar in the later lessons.

I got my first bunch of sentences corrected by my Korean tandem partner and it cleared up some of the confusions I had about the (으)니까 pattern. I hope I'll now be able to use it in speech when needed.

1. 일요일에는 시간이 없으니까 금요일이나 토요일에 만나자.
2. 김치라면은 정말 맛있으니까 한번 먹어볼래?
3. 지금 재미있는 영화가 상영되고 있다 하니까 같이 극장으로 갈래?
4. 편의점에 갈 거니까 쇼핑목록은 나한테 맡겨줘.
5. 우리가 보통 잘 가던 식당이 너무 비싸졌으니까 다른 데서 먹을까?

I actually wrote 11 sentences in total, trying to follow the grammatical rules I read, but these 5 were the only ones my tandem partner told me sounded really natural. In the others, she replaced -(으)니까 with -어서/아서, -은/는데 and -는 것이. Using the pattern in sentences that address someone directly seems to be foolproof, though.

She also told me it's often used in connection with -은/는데, like this:
아침에는 커피를 마셨는데 지금은 마시지 못 하니까 피곤하다.

I'm looking forward to writing more practice sentences, it was both useful and fun and I was surprised at some of the words and expressions I thought of.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 175 of 344
07 June 2013 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
2013년 6월 7일.

Korean 한국어

I'm busily writing my thesis now that I seem to be over the eternal writers' block I've been suffering from. It's great, but rather unfortunate for my Korean study. I haven't felt like studying a lot the past month, so I've just been reading a couple of children's poems, listened to a few radio and TV shows and met with my tandem. My speaking skills are still fluctuating drastically: sometimes I happily think in Korean and sometimes I have trouble expressing everyday stuff. Still, it's fun sitting in a cafe talking Korean. My Korean knowledge was also very helpful to correct a German presentation my tandem partner had to do. When I didn't understand her German sentence she could just tell me in Korean and I'd translate it for her, which was pretty cool.

I'm also very happy to report that I passed TOPIK level 4! I'm really happy and proud of myself. There is still a lot to learn, but at least I'm well on my way to proficiency and now it's certified, too:

My score:
Reading: 77
Writing: 73
Grammar & Expressions: 81
Listening: 91
Average: 80.5

Edited by druckfehler on 07 June 2013 at 5:38pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5994 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 176 of 344
07 June 2013 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Good for you! Congratulations on passing Level 4!

I'm curious, did you think the vocab was hard? I'm not taking the TOPIK, but I use a test prep book to study and some of the vocab really surprised me--words I had never even seen before. Also, did the listening seem sort of slow? The questions based on the recordings seemed challenging but the recordings provided by my book sounded unusually slow, to me.

These were my impressions from my test prep book but I don't know how faithful my book is to the actual test.

Congratulations again...it seems like you passed by a comfortable margin, too. I think you only need about a 70 average to pass, if I remember correctly.

Do you read Hangukdrama, the blog? Shanna writes about self-studying Korean. She just passed Level 6 but she has been writing the blog for years and has written about each level of the test as she took it.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version