Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 289 of 344
02 November 2014 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm so glad you've experienced this feeling as well, gbod and yuhakko. It's good to read that I'm not the only one :) Maybe it's especially the case with people learning more 'exotic' languages.

g-bod wrote:
I very rarely watch English TV shows and movies any more, and I find that leaves me with a bit less common ground to share with English speaking friends and colleagues.

Absolutely, I think that's a substantial part of it. I rarely know the TV shows others are talking about. It's gotten less of a problem recently, because I started spending more time with people who don't watch these popular series either. Not talking about TV shows at all is quite refreshing, too.

g-bod wrote:
Part of the challenge was just to see how far I could get. I have revised my expectations, so for speaking I would just like to maintain my B1+ skills. However, when it comes to reading there is still a lot more I could do, so I just have to keep going!

I can see myself revising my expectations as well in the future. Once I actually pass the highest level of TOPIK, I'll probably no longer be very motivated to study. Other languages are wating for me and even now I'd much rather just read and watch TV or listen to the radio in Korean. So I don't think my active skills will ever get as good as I once used to envision. If I was in Korea, maybe, but here in Germany anything between my current B1+ and a solid B2 would be great.

tristano wrote:
You know, I discovered the existence of http://www.viki.com/ and I would really like to be able to watch the series in Korean :) But question, how much time is needed to reach the level needed for this activity (completely overlooking written and oral production)?

Hi tristano, good to read from you! Hmm... to enjoy watching dramas without subtitles it took me about 3 years of study, but my understanding was still quite incomplete at that time. Even now I don't understand everything when watching TV in Korean, but it really doesn't bother me when some minor details elude me. Basically, to understand TV Korean you'll have to be at least at a B1 level with very good listening skills. It doesn't give you much of a discount if you're only learning Korean for that purpose... But then Viki has subtitles in lots of languages, so you could just enjoy your series without learning that much Korean ;) I'm glad you're interested in Korean media! There's lots of good quality stuff and a whole culture to be discovered...
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 290 of 344
02 November 2014 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
2014년 11월 2일. Week 44.

Goldlists: 2
Podcasts: 43
Books: 8
-----
News Items: 11 (read) 14 (watched)
Written: 30
Conversations: 17 (in Germany) + immersion in Korea
Grammar Practice: 6

Now for an update... I started and finished another novel since my last regular post. This time I read 소년이 온다 (Here Comes the Boy) by 한강. It was on the bestseller list when I was in Korea and also deals with the Gwangju massacre, just like the last novel I read. After a very slow start I forced myself not to look up words (I still looked some up when I felt my understanding of a passage was impaired, but really got away from the mindset of looking up everything). It was the right choice. I had seen a lot of words related to the city and the massacre in the last novel, where I looked up everything unknown. A lot of other words I could figure out from context or just by thinking about them a bit more and trying to dissect them into their roots. It's a lot more motivating to finish a 200 page novel in about a week and not go to the trouble of looking up that many words. It also helps with reading speed and overall understanding of texts. I need to keep this in mind. While I now find most words I encounter important enough to try to memorise them, it's just as important not to take them so much to heart sometimes.

Recently I started thinking about my TAC goals and practice strategies for TOPIK. I've totally abandoned goldlists. I think they do work fairly well in combination with exposure to new materials, but I just can't seem get around to writing them. It's much easier to do a couple of Anki reviews on the bus. The most value I get out of the smartphone I bought in Korea are the Anki app and an offline Korean-English dictionary. It's much better than always needing my notebook to use those things. So the goals I have left to complete are books and podcasts. I'm determined to finish the book goal and would like to finish the podcast goal as well. I could just about get to 100 podcasts if I listen to one per day. I'll try to make it my sleep routine again. But I want to focus on news podcasts and the like. Basically anything that is more challenging for me now than Yoo Inna and might help with the TOPIK listening section. If I start now, I might be able to slowly build up a fairly good understanding of news broadcasts by April.

For TOPIK-relevant vocabulary I've picked up my bilingual introduction to Korean society, gepgraphy, politics, you-name-it called "Inside Korea" again. I last tried reading it about a year ago and judging from the unknown words I underlined my vocabulary knowledge and reading fluency have really improved a lot in the past year. It's very motivating to see. As the words are so useful and cover lots of different topics, I'm entering many of the unknowns into Anki. It slows reading down a lot, but it's truly worth it with this book. It's perfect for closing the gaps.
4 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 291 of 344
10 November 2014 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
2014년 11월 10일. Week 46.

Podcasts: 48
-----
Conversations: 17 (in Germany) + immersion in Korea

I've been working full-time for a week now. It's been interesting to see what that does to my study habits. I can certainly say that I studied more regularly this week than I usually do. I use my fairly long commute to slowly read my way through "Inside Korea" and I use Anki for the new words I encounter. It's very useful. I'm also semi-regularly listening to podcasts to fall asleep to. Fortunately I think that's enough TOPIK preparation for now, because I can't imagine doing much more... Time is becoming precious. So far I'm just tired and unproductive in the evenings and on the weekend I was glad to spend some time really lazing around and getting out of the house, meeting friends. Not in the mood for studying. I'm curious how that will develop over the months...

Edited by druckfehler on 10 November 2014 at 11:00pm

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4474 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 292 of 344
11 November 2014 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
Everyone is different, but something experience has taught me is that studying while having a job means getting up early. Several reasons:
-Morning is the moment your brain works the best, so that's when you want to study.
-You rarely have any sort of social life in the morning: regularity is important and too often you'll want to go out, hang out with friend (or feel too tired..). You can't fight those and studying in the morning is the best solution.
-Regularity is important (bis): studying in the morning while having the constraint of getting to work puts a natural constraint on your time and you end up studying about the exact same amount of time every morning.

A job indeed forces you to be regular. :) Good luck!
3 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 293 of 344
11 November 2014 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
I'm making the same observation that the brain works best in the morning - my morning commute really is the best time to study. I don't get much done on my evening commute, but that's okay. I have about an hour in the morning, so that's enough - especially for an activity like reading. At the moment I can't fathom getting up earlier to study... I already get up at 6 and if I were to get up at 5 I probably wouldn't get enough sleep. Going to bed at 9 just seems unrealistic... If I feel like I need more than an hour of study time I might rethink that :)

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6348 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 294 of 344
12 November 2014 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Belated congratulations on your new job! What is it that you do exactly, if you don't mind my asking?

vermillon, my experience is quite the opposite, I do almost all of my studying at night (or during the day at work). Getting up early just to study (as a hobby)... My brain doesn't compute that :p

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 295 of 344
18 November 2014 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Evita! I'm working for a company that provides services to libraries and my job is partly customer service, partly bookkeeping and documentation.

2014년 11월 18일. Week 47.

Podcasts: 48
-----
Conversations: 18 (in Germany) + immersion in Korea

For a quick update: I'm nearing the finish line of the geography section of "Inside Korea". I also started reading a book my language exchange partner lent me. It's a translation and it's about Dewey, a library cat in Iowa. Seems to have been a bestseller a couple of years ago. I really like seeing synergy effects when I'm studying with different materials, so I was happy to suddenly see a lot of the geography-section words I added to Anki in the landscape descriptions of "Dewey".

I also read 20 pages of 나는 나를 파괴할 권리가 있다 as part of the reading project with yuhakko. Even now some passages are difficult, but it's so much clearer than 2 years ago and I hardly even use a dictionary this time (partly out of laziness). Seeing these improvements is what keeps me motivated.

There is not much time to do anything else... I've been wanting to start watching one of the current dramas, maybe 미생 or Liar Game or 내일도 칸타빌레, but I can't seem to find any time in the evenings in between meeting friends, trying to exercise at least semi-regularly and organising things with my volunteer group. By now work and the commute no longer drain me of my energy, but they just don't leave a lot of time.

Edited by druckfehler on 23 November 2014 at 6:44pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 296 of 344
04 December 2014 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
2014년 12월 4일. Week 49.

Podcasts: 50
Books: 9
-----
News Items: 11 (read) 15 (watched)
Conversations: 18 (in Germany) + immersion in Korea

I caught a severe cold, so I'm drinking gallons of tea and sleeping a lot instead of going to work. And in
between sleeping I'm finally finding some time to update my log :)

The past weeks I've been using my commute to read in Korean. It's pretty much been the only time I spent
doing anything with Korean. Well, I also did meet my tandem twice and finally started watching 미생, which
I like a lot. The series fits well with my current situation of being a 신입원. My commute is very long - all in
all about 2 1/2 hours per day. It kind of sucks to spend that much time in public transport, but when it's
quiet enough it's a good place to read. I finished the 331 pages of 듀이 (Dewey, the small-town library cat
who touched the world) pretty fast, reading about 100 pages per week (at probably around 1 1/2 hours per
day).

It looks like I will definitely reach my reading goal for this year, but there's not much hope for the podcast
section and no hope for goldlists, which I decided not to do anymore. It doesn't matter much because I did
a lot of things with Korean which I wasn't planning to do at the beginning of the year and I made very
noticeable progress. For the rest of the year I'll just continue reading and I'll start worrying about TOPIK
preparation in January.

Edited by druckfehler on 08 December 2014 at 8:48pm

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version