Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 177 of 559
28 August 2012 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that I didn't get the Anki review count down to 300, in fact, it was about 600 yesterday. The good news is that I'm still determined to do them all and keep using Anki. I reviewed about 200 words yesterday but today the number jumped up to 560 again. I had hoped the number of new reviews would go down since I have hardly added any new cards lately but apparently that's not the case so I'll have to try harder.

Yesterday I also listened to the TTMIK lesson about making adjectives. It was long overdue if you ask me, it should have been in level 1 because by now I had already learned about it myself. The best thing in that lesson was that I finally understood what it was the female host keeps saying often during the lessons. I thought it was something like '저x 생각해요' (I think) but now I'm pretty sure it's '좋은 생각이에요' (it's a good idea).

I also started a bit on lesson 4 of TY Finnish. Just to slowly get back into the rhythm.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 178 of 559
30 August 2012 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
Other things keep coming up and not letting me focus on language learning properly. My Anki backlog is still 400-500 cards although I do try to work on it. Oh well, at least it's not growing bigger. In fact, I didn't want to post an update today because I haven't studied much but then I saw this picture from TTMIK lesson 3x13 that I did the other day:

I'm posting this because it's the female host and she's saying '좋은 생각이에요', the same phrase I wrote in my previous post. I swear I hadn't noticed this picture before. Now it makes me feel all good inside that I figured out the phrase and spelled it correctly. It's little things like this that keep me going.

I've been watching Gumiho too, just 10-20 minute bits now and then. I do try to use it as a learning resource, which means that if I think I hear something familiar I pause and rewind. If I see an English translation that I think I should know the Korean word for, I pause and rewind to try to see if I can catch the Korean word. Often I can't catch it because the Korean word is simply not there but that's fine, the times I do catch something I know are worth it. And finally, sometimes I pause to look up words in my English-Korean dictionary. If I find the correct Korean word that was used I often add it to Anki. Examples of such words are: fox, tail, disappear, slowly.
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 179 of 559
30 August 2012 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
And finally, sometimes I pause to look up words in my English-Korean dictionary. If I find the correct Korean word that was used I often add it to Anki. Examples of such words are: fox, tail, disappear, slowly.

좋은 생각이에요 ;)

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 180 of 559
31 August 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Yesterday was a comparatively good studying day, I reviewed more than 200 Anki cards. I also started to review the first unit of my Korean textbook. I know that reviewing grammar is essential, the problem is that it's an e-book so it's more difficult to switch between units and find something worth reviewing. I think I'll benefit a lot from repeating it all, especially the 3 dialogues of each unit. Currently most of my reading practice comes from reading Anki cards so rereading the dialogues will be useful. The dialogues are the most difficult thing in this book.

I also did TTMIK lesson 3x14 which explained how to make adjectives out of action verbs (adding -는 and such). This was a difficult lesson because it introduces a completely different way of making sentences than I'm used to. For example, if you combine the words "book" and "to like" you get "the book that someone likes". The most difficult thing is that you can create long adjective-like phrases this way. For example, if you translate the phrase "the food that you eat often" to Korean, the subordinate clause turns into an adjective phrase and it needs to come before the word "food". So it's all kind of backwards. These totally different sentence structures are one of the most difficult things for me in Korean.

I spent a little time on Finnish too, besides doing the Anki reviews. I read a couple of the dialogues from TY lesson 4 (this lesson deals with walking around the city, where the post office is, etc.). It was nice and easy because I already learned all this from my textbook.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 181 of 559
01 September 2012 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
The Anki review pile is getting smaller little by little, only 405 cards due this morning. I think I could do them all today (seeing as it's Saturday) but I don't want to because then I'll have review spikes in the next few days. I've already mentioned before that I like Anki to be as predictable as possible so I'm doing everything slowly (over a period of time). I think I'm also finally seeing the effect of not adding new cards, the number of new reviews each day is getting smaller. I'm looking forward to learning more new words again because otherwise there's no feeling of progress, just the same old cards again and again.

I finished reviewing unit 1 of my Korean textbook and I also repeated a couple of TTMIK lessons. One of them was about connecting sentences with -서 and I think it's time I practice writing some Korean again. The following sentences are not necessarily true, my goal is for them to be grammatically correct.

방이 어두워서 책을 못 봐요. The room is dark so I can't see the book.
돈이 많이 있어서 큰 집을 샀어요. I had a lot of money so I bought a big house.
제 방을 청소해서 영화를 볼 거예요. I'll clean up my room and then I'll watch a movie.
한국에 가서 친구를 만날 거예요. I'm going to Korea to meet a friend.

Edited by Evita on 01 September 2012 at 11:03am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 182 of 559
01 September 2012 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
I've got these ingrained forever in my head.
Stockmannin tavaratalo on Mannerheimintien ja Aleksanterinkadun kulmassa. Entä Akateeminen Kirjakauppa? Se on (myös) Pohjoisesplanadilla, Stockmannin takana. :))) My key places to visit whenever I'm in Helsinki, even for a few hours:)

The ironic thing is that this doesn't necessarily mean I can find them easily. Mum tells me to ask a passer-by but it feels ridiculous when you know these dialogues by heart! :D The problem is of course that I don't always know how to get to Aleksi or Mannerheimintie or Esplanadi from where we are:)

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 183 of 559
04 September 2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
That's funny, Serpent. I don't think I will listen to the dialogues enough times to memorize them. But who knows.

Does the lack of corrections for my Korean sentences mean that they are all correct? I don't dare to hope so. I'm especially curious about the last sentence because of how I used the future tense there. I don't think TTMIK had an example quite like that.

Speaking of what I have done in the last few days, it almost seems as if the universe is conspiring to prevent me from studying languages. A colleague of mine asked me to check the English translation of the summary of his doctoral thesis (50 pages) so... That took up most of my free time. I finished it yesterday morning so I thought I would study a bit last night but I was too tired from editing the thesis during the night (to meet the deadline).

No more excuses though. I can feel my Finnish and Korean slowly slipping away because of how I've neglected them recently, and that's not acceptable. To motivate myself a little more, I made some goals to achieve by the end of Friday:

1) Catch up with the Anki reviews,
2) Review units 2 & 3 of My Korean
3) Do two new TTMIK lessons
4) Repeat 8 TTMIK lessons
5) Finish lesson 4 of TY Finnish and do lesson 5.

That's a lot of stuff to do in 4 days but I'll try my best. I'll be happy if I finish at least 80% of these goals.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 184 of 559
05 September 2012 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Yesterday I did some of the easier stuff from my list - Anki reviews and TTMIK lessons. The new lesson was super easy, it explained how to use the word 그럼 (그러면) (if so, then). Seeing as I've known this word for quite some time from watching dramas, it feels like I didn't learn anything new, except perhaps for the fact that the -면 in 그러면 is the same as the ending in "if" sentences.

I usually listen to the TTMIK lessons first and read the PDF later (sometimes much later, like a day or two later). The lessons always have sample sentences at the end. Sometimes the hosts say the Korean sentence first, sometimes they say the English version first. If they say the Korean version first, I try to figure out what it means in English but usually I can't do it before they provide the translation. I have been noticing an improvement in this area though. I think it's because I've been trying to listen actively a lot (to the dialogues in dramas and to the TTMIK lessons).

I've also noticed that I can review the cards in my Korean Anki deck quicker. I think it's a combination of being able to read Korean and type in Korean faster. Some time ago I wrote that I was planning to ditch the typing of Korean words during reviews but I've changed my mind about that (for now). I think it's helping me, and I will be able to appreciate it even more when I start to write texts in Korean and don't have to look up the spelling for every second word.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version