Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 353 of 559
23 January 2013 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
I have finished watching Secret Garden. I think 4 days is my personal record for a drama. That's good news because now I can finally focus on proper studying. Dramas are fun but I'm going to avoid starting new ones for a while, I've had too many distractions.

The only thing I've done for Finnish in the last two days is doing Anki reviews, and that's disappointing although maybe not surprising. I'll try to do better starting from today.

I have to say that TTMIK lesson 6x11 was one of the most interesting and useful ones recently. I had no idea that "그러니까" can mean "I mean" and that it should be followed by a verb with the quoting ending.

I have kept up with reading a bit of Iyagi every day. If I'm too tired to properly study the Subways transcript then I just pick a different one and read it from the beginning. I'm not trying to understand everything, it's just reading practice. I think it's helping.

On a different subject, my Russian seems to be getting better and better. Today I asked something in Latvian to a Russian colleague of mine and she explained it to me and I didn't even realize that she was doing it in Russian instead of Latvian, it just felt natural. My production of Russian is still weak but it's getting better slowly. I know I could force it, I have 4 Russian colleagues sitting next to me and I could try speaking to them in Russian all the time... But somehow that doesn't seem the right thing to do at work because they speak Latvian or English better than I speak Russian. Still, I hear Russian all the time when they talk among themselves so it's inevitable that I'll get more comfortable with it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 354 of 559
23 January 2013 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
Yay about Russian and good luck getting back on track with Finnish :)

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4303 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 355 of 559
23 January 2013 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Hello teammate. I'm just catching up with everyone's log, and wanted to just say hello.
I'm excited to follow your progress this year with Korean. Looks like you do a great job
with keeping up on your log! Nicely done. Good luck on your goals!

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 356 of 559
24 January 2013 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Nice to see you here, billyshears66! Good luck with your Mandarin too!

So far this week I've been feeling like I'm trying to catch up all the time - on sleep and on Anki reviews. It's a vicious circle: since I'm tired, I can't retain the words well so I'm failing more cards than usually. And since I have many Anki cards to review, it takes a lot of time and keeps me up late. The fact that I'm doing Finnish reviews as well doesn't help. Work is keeping me busy as well and I can't seem to dedicate more than 40-50 minutes per day for Anki. Maybe I'll be able to catch up on everything during the weekend.

I mentioned before that I'm working from the client site 3 times a week, it takes me at least 50 minutes to get there. I'm using this time to listen to Iyagi lessons. It may not be intensive listening but it's better than nothing. This week I'm listening to lessons 91-100. One of them (#96) is about age and I decided to read the transcript for a bit yesterday because a lot of the vocabulary seemed familiar. I didn't know that Korean children are already one year old when they are born.

Surprisingly reading the Iyagi transcripts has become one of my favorite learning activities. I think it's because it's at just the right level of difficulty for me and I can learn a lot from them, both vocabulary and grammar-wise. Of course, then I enter new words into Anki so I have even more words to review. Heh. Maybe it's not the smartest thing to do but I'm doing it anyway because I want to learn those words.

Speaking of which, how many words do Koreans need to say "very" or "very much"? So far I've encountered 아주, 참, 굉장히, 매우, and 되게, and I'm sure they're not the only ones.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 357 of 559
26 January 2013 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
Yesterday was a good day, I was finally able to squeeze in some real studying of Finnish. I read a news article, added some words to Anki and listened to the Finnish radio for more than half an hour. It's all still above my level but I enjoy these activities more than textbook studying so I figure that's what I should stick with.

I did some Korean, too. The Anki reviews, as usual, also some reading. I'm also close to finishing unit 10 of My Korean. To be fair, it's not difficult to go through this book when I know almost everything anyway and I'm skipping the exercises.

I also finally started some real work on my sentence deck. I will gather sentences from all my resources in it so it should be worth the time and effort in the end.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 358 of 559
27 January 2013 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
I've been rewatching segments of Secret Garden since I finished it on Tuesday. Just 20 minutes here, 30 minutes there. I find it very rewatchable, almost on the same level as Coffee Prince. It's got a nice story, good comedy and very good actors. I didn't write much about it after I finished it but I did enjoy it immensely. It made me cry too towards the end. I don't remember crying while watching Nice Guy which is a bit surprising considering the kind of drama it was.

Anyway, yesterday I downloaded the OST of Secret Garden and kept listening to That Woman (lyrics translated here). It's such a beautiful, sad song.

Speaking of songs, I'm practically finished with 되돌리다, the one I was learning the lyrics for. I'm not sure how much it helped my Korean but it sure is nice to be able to sing along in Korean.

That Secret Garden pack I downloaded yesterday also contained a special. I don't have the English subtitles for it but there are Korean subtitles on the screen when the actors are speaking. I'm going to have fun trying to figure them out.

I also found the Secret Garden script. I don't know yet whether I will read it but I like knowing I have the option.

I finished My Korean 1 yesterday. Yay, I finally finished a textbook. My Korean 2 is next.

I worked a lot on Anki yesterday, did 280 repetitions in total. My Korean reviews are finally under control again but the Finnish ones are not there yet. I'll keep my limit of 5 new Korean words a day until I've caught up with the Finnish reviews; after that I'll go back to 9.

I had plans to study Finnish yesterday but it didn't really work out. I felt guilty about that so I at least read part of a news article to get some new words for Anki.

I saw this link for Spanish grammar while browsing one of the team threads, and I've done the first 4 lessons. I might continue doing them because they are exactly what I need to reactivate my knowledge of Spanish. I don't intend to study it seriously, it's just something I'll have on the side for when I feel like doing some Spanish.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 359 of 559
27 January 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
I just recently started watching Secret Garden myself (4 episodes down, 16 to go). So far it is much more interesting than I expected from the various clips they constantly play on variety shows. Of course, you almost need to watch this series at some point, just to get a grounding for all the in-jokes about it on variety TV (same with the movie 엽기적인 그녀 (i.e. My Sassy Girl) which is also a popular reference for in-jokes).

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 360 of 559
28 January 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
I'll put that movie on my to-watch list. So far I haven't watched any Korean movies.

So today is Monday and that means it's time to look at the goals I set for myself last week and see how much of that I accomplished:

- get rid of my Finnish Anki backlog and enter some new cards - NOT COMPLETED
- listen to Finnish radio, read news articles and do one Teach Yourself Finnish lesson - NOT COMPLETED
- complete the January TAC challenge for Korean - NOT COMPLETED
- complete the Iyagi transcript about subways (currently about 40% done). - NOT COMPLETED

It looks quite sad, doesn't it? Nevertheless, I got a lot done last week and especially during the weekend. I think my goals were simply too high considering I have a full time job. I set the first two goals to motivate myself to work on Finnish again and I did it, I even spent some time with Teach Yourself Finnish yesterday. I hadn't looked at it for several months and it was like seeing an old friend again. I read some dialogues and I was happy to see that all my Finnish is still there, I haven't forgotten much. I copied the audio files for the first 6 lessons to my phone so I'll be able to listen to them. It's a bit different than listening to Iyagi podcasts because the Finnish dialogues are short and require intensive listening, I can't just randomize them and listen 30 minutes in a row.

In short, I'm happy with my Finnish and happy with my Korean progress as well. I've been reading more than before, I spent almost half an hour on the Subways transcript yesterday. I learned the -이나 construction (either - or) and the -며/면서 construction (while). Can you believe TTMIK hasn't mentioned them at all? That's why I can't wait for my grammar books to arrive at the end of March.

Speaking of TTMIK, I listened to 3 new lessons on my way to work today. One of them was about the -겠 suffix. Finally! And another one was about -거든요. I saw this ending for the first time in My Korean but then I forgot about it. Then I remembered it again because it came up on the Iyagi lessons. Also I tried to pay attention to the various endings while watching Secret Garden and I was really surprised at how often I heard -거든요 because I had never noticed it in the other dramas. I've seen that some people are quite skeptical about this ending, saying it's a "girly" ending, hehe. Well, I'm a girl so I guess I can safely use it.

One last thing. I've decided to start improving my Korean production skills. Repeating sentences from my Anki audio deck will be one thing I'll start doing, and registering on HaruKorean.com will help me start writing. I plan to register on February 1st.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version