forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 281 of 559
25 November 2012 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I haven't watched any drama since I finished SS (beyond trying out a few and not enjoying them much) and that was weeks ago. And even if I watched one episode a day I still wouldn't call that immersion. Maybe music would be a solution but I have no idea which Korean artists I might like. Besides, wouldn't I have to gather hundreds of songs so that playing them all the time wouldn't be repetitive? It seems like such a huge task. I'm not a big music listener anyway, I mean I prefer listening to the radio instead of an mp3 collection because keeping a collection up to date requires too much effort from me. I've tried to find online Korean radios and I've found a couple but they had terrible streaming quality so the listening was not very enjoyable.

If you aren't a big music listener then my strategy of getting hooked on the music may not be the one for you. The important thing is to find something you *do* find yourself doing all the time and find some way to do it in your target language instead.

For example, I frequently watch Call of Duty (a first-person shooter game) gameplay videos on Youtube. I tried searching for Korean versions of these in the past and had very little luck (I think this is partly because the first-person shooter genre isn't nearly as big in South Korea as other genres such as real-time strategy games). However, I recently happened upon a channel by a user who posts his CoD gameplay videos and commentates them in Spanish. I subscribed and now watch his videos very regularly. Most of the time I don't really get the gist of what he is saying, but it's a type of medium where that doesn't particularly matter as I still enjoy watching the gameplay. The same thing is true with music. You don't really have to understand the lyrics to enjoy listening to music which makes it a great immersion medium.

Quote:
I've finished episode 3 of Coffee House now. The president of the publishing company is my favorite character for now, I admired how she resolved the awkward situations (the girl in the suitcase and the surprise birthday party).

That actress is 박시연. The only other show I've personally seen her in was the later episodes of 패밀리가 떴다 (a variety/reality show) where she was a regular for a while. The "girl in the suitcase" (i.e. the secretary) would be 함은정 from K-pop girl group T-ara. On a related note, the role of the action school owner's daughter from 내 여자친구는 구미호 was played by 효민 from the same girl group.

Edited by Warp3 on 25 November 2012 at 10:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 282 of 559
26 November 2012 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
So I was coming home from work today, walking through the Old Town. I decided to go into the supermarket. And do you know who I saw there? Three Korean guys - right in front of me! They were walking ahead of me so I couldn't hear them very well, much less understand them but I definitely recognized the language as Korean. I was so shocked at hearing it, completely unexpected! For a while I just followed them like a creepy stalker, I couldn't think of anything else to do LOL. Then they went into the same supermarket and I didn't want to linger suspiciously around them so I had to make a decision. I had never spoken with a Korean before (I think) and I didn't want to let this opportunity pass even if it was in the supermarket of all places. So we had a short conversation. I said I was happy to meet them and they said they were students here (although they looked a bit old to be students, around 35 years maybe). Basically that was it. I didn't say a word to them in Korean, not even 안녕하세요 (hi). I don't know what they thought of me, claiming to study Korean but not even trying to speak it. I was just completely unprepared. Now that I think about it, maybe I should have talked to them more, maybe get some contact details, but I just wasn't sure they would welcome it so I left them. Oh well.

Speaking of commuting to and from work, I may try to use that time to do the Anki reviews. AnkiDroid 2 still hasn't been officially released but I got the Beta and it's working quite well. No problems with synching at all.

Quote:
The important thing is to find something you *do* find yourself doing all the time and find some way to do it in your target language instead.

I've seen this advice many times on this forum and that's what I'm doing with regard to TV shows. I don't think there's anything else I can switch this way except radio. If anyone knows any Korean radio stations with good streaming quality I'd be very grateful.

As for Coffee House, that is one strange drama. At times it feels more like a parody or a farce. After episode 4 I went to Dramabeans to read their review because I wasn't sure who the female romantic lead was supposed to be and I was afraid it would turn out to be the secretary. Fortunately the review reassured me that was not the case so I kept on watching happily. They were right to call the drama unpredictable. It's quite refreshing. I've just finished episode 6.

I've even found time to listen to a new TTMIK lesson, this time about -(으)려고 하다 (about to do something). This expression itself isn't anything too difficult but the lesson was quite difficult because they kept using various other constructions in places where this expression is used more in the written language. I'm glad they did it, it's valuable review for me but maybe I was just too tired to decode everything they were throwing at us.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 283 of 559
27 November 2012 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
If anyone knows any Korean radio stations with good streaming quality I'd be very grateful.

In the past I looked for this and I found a decent site called RadioPing (http://www.radioping.com/) which had some decent K-pop stations but they seem to be undergoing maintenance at the moment.

Quote:
After episode 4 I went to Dramabeans to read their review because I wasn't sure who the female romantic lead was supposed to be and I was afraid it would turn out to be the secretary.

Not to give too much away, but:
Actually that aspect gets much more gray as the drama goes on, not more defined. It's not until near the very end that they really start to clarify the relationships. Before that point, it's never completely obvious who will end up with whom in the end. Hopefully reading that review didn't spoil anything for you.

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4755 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 284 of 559
27 November 2012 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
I don't listen to Korean radio channels on my computer, but you could just google 라디오.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 285 of 559
29 November 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Ojorolla wrote:
I don't listen to Korean radio channels on my computer, but you could just google 라디오.

Thanks. YTN Radio is nice, it has livestreaming right on the first page.

As for my studies, I haven't had much time but I did a couple of TTMIK lesson repeats and a new one about -다가. I've also tried to keep up with Anki. I still have a bit of a backlog but I'm working on it every day, including the Finnish deck. I'll have to do some Finnish studying soon because my basic goal was to have 1000 Anki cards by the end of the year and I'm still 30 or so cards short.

I've been watching Coffee House every day, I'm on episode 10 now I think. The writer has moved out of the studio. I'll probably finish it this week.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 286 of 559
01 December 2012 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
I feel like my Korean is progressing nicely. I haven't formally studied it much lately but watching Coffee House gives me a chance to assess how much I know and it always gives me a good feeling when I recognize an expression. For example, at one point I heard 'ta' and the subtitle said "get in". I paused the video and tried to remember whether I know this word or not and I realized that I do know 타다. I try to do this kind of thing as much as possible in order to make the most out of watching the drama.

I have caught up with all my Korean Anki reviews. I've been adding lots of new words too, my current word count is 781. Some of them came from TTMIK or dramas but most of them are from this list. I figured that since I'm making the deck public I owe it to all its future users to make sure that none of the beginner vocabulary is missing. I probably should have done it sooner. Of course, I always check the words in my dictionary before adding them to Anki, I don't rely on the translations posted on that list.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 287 of 559
02 December 2012 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
I spent most of yesterday on Korean. I finished Coffee House and did various other activities. About CH:

Quote:
Actually that aspect gets much more gray as the drama goes on, not more defined. It's not until near the very end that they really start to clarify the relationships. Before that point, it's never completely obvious who will end up with whom in the end.

Hmm, I have to disagree with this. The first confirmation for me that the writer will end up with the president was the old photo that she folded so that his wife would be invisible and that he later found (was that episode 5? Or 6?). After their first kiss there were no doubts at all. Even though the secretary later had to pretend to be his girlfriend, there just wasn't any chance of them ending up together. Which I was fine with. After watching it all, I think that the secretary was the female lead after all and it's very rare that the female lead doesn't end up with the male lead whom she liked (at least I would imagine so). The creators of this drama were very clever regarding that. Actually they were very clever about a lot of things. I loved the fake copyright infringement threat, for example. I think this ranks as my no.3 favorite drama at the moment.

TTMIK level 5 has been really difficult so far. Maybe it just seems that way because I haven't reviewed as much as I should have. Anyway I'll take a few days to go over the first 11 lessons again and the last ones from level 4, I really need it.

I resumed studying with the My Korean textbook. I did an exercise on inserting either 안 or 못 in a sentence but there's no answer key unfortunately.

Anki is still going great. The learning mode is very useful. My current limits are 8 new cards a day on the passive deck and 4 new cards on the active deck.

That radio station, YTN, is good for listening to spoken Korean but not so much for music. They seem to play old songs a lot and I'd rather get acquainted with the current music. But I haven't found anything better yet so I was listening to it yesterday and suddenly I thought "hey, I know this song!" It was the one that Han Gyul sings in the last episode over the phone. It was a bit difficult to recognize it at first because I had only heard the a capella version from the drama before. Once I did recognize it I was very happy about it because I'm still very knew to everything Korean-related and I rarely see/hear something familiar.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 288 of 559
02 December 2012 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Hmm, I have to disagree with this. The first confirmation for me that the writer will end up with the president was the old photo that she folded so that his wife would be invisible and that he later found (was that episode 5? Or 6?). After their first kiss there were no doubts at all. Even though the secretary later had to pretend to be his girlfriend, there just wasn't any chance of them ending up together. Which I was fine with. After watching it all, I think that the secretary was the female lead after all and it's very rare that the female lead doesn't end up with the male lead whom she liked (at least I would imagine so). The creators of this drama were very clever regarding that. Actually they were very clever about a lot of things. I loved the fake copyright infringement threat, for example. I think this ranks as my no.3 favorite drama at the moment.

I agree that the chances of the writer and secretary being matched up at the end were unlikely given the overall story, but they still hinted heavily at the possibility of such a scenario (from both sides) in the second half of the series. Regardless, I agree that it wasn't very hard to predict the most likely outcome.

I did pick up a few words from that series (mostly from written notes or banners that appeared on screen), but I was particularly proud of picking up the sentence starter "혹시 알아요..." (exclaimed by 함은정's character, which is the rough equivalent of "who knows..." or "you never know..." in English) by listening only. The literal meaning of that phrase ("do you perhaps know") was obvious (and is the correct meaning when used in question forms), but that was the first time I'd seen it used with that alternate meaning.

By the way, if you plan to mine words from the written items in that series like I did, keep in mind that one of the words in the note the secretary's grandmother wrote (early in the series) is apparently a misspelling of 점잖은 (since the way she spelled it simply doesn't exist as a word but that word would suit the context perfectly).

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version