Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 377 of 559
17 February 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Recently I've been working more with HaruKorean and less with Iyagi. Some of the HaruKorean lessons have only 5-10 sentences but some of the older ones have hundreds of them! For example, I wrote a sentence of my own for lesson 1x21 (about negation) and then I was able to browse through more than 600 sentences and corrections. I read and analyzed almost 50 of them and I can go back and read more anytime I want. I love it.

TTMIK lesson 6x26 introduced the construction in this sentence: 비가 올 줄 알았어요. The interesting thing is that it can mean both "I knew it was going to rain" (and it's raining) and "I thought it was going to rain" (but it's not raining). The meaning is determined based on context and intonation. How fun. It reminds me of "어디 가?" which can also have two meanings: "Where are you going?" and "Are you going somewhere?" The intonation is key here and I certainly haven't mastered it yet.

Anki is going well. Even though I still haven't caught up with my Finnish deck, I'm getting close so I increased the number of new Korean words per day back to 8. I think I can handle it. The total number of my Korean notes is 1322 at the moment.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 378 of 559
20 February 2013 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
I'm getting a bit tired of my chaotic Korean studies so I may go back to textbooks for a while. What frustrates me is the fact that I have to read more of the Iyagi transcripts to find new words for Anki because I already know many words the teachers like to use. You'd think it'd be good news but no, the frustration comes from not being able to understand the sentences even when I know all of the vocabulary, and when I do understand them sometimes I'm not sure why a particular grammatical construction was used. I'm sure my two grammar books will fix that when I finally get them. Until then, 참아야 돼요.

It's not all bad news though. Usually when I listen to the Iyagi podcasts in the bus I can't focus on them 100% for long periods of time, but when I do I'm able to recognize more than half the words in a sentence and sometimes I even get the meaning of it. Yesterday I was listening to the one about pets and I hadn't read the transcript at all but I could understand that at one point they were talking about cats and how cats were not common as pets earlier but they are becoming more common now. At least that's how I understood it. Maybe I'm totally wrong.

I spent several hours in the last few days investigating the possibility of getting the audio for Anki cards directly from Korean dramas. I was hopeful at first but it seems it can't be done after all. The problem is removing the background music and other background noises from the audio track, I couldn't find a way to do it.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 379 of 559
24 February 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
This week was busy with work and personal stuff, I didn't get enough sleep and my studies suffered as a result. Still, I managed to do this and that in the last 4 days.

It turns out that -ㄹ 줄 알다, in addition to the two meanings I already mentioned, also has a third meaning - to know how to do something. What a versatile expression. The good news is that I understand the difference between this one and -ㄹ 수 있다 pretty well because we have different verbs for them in Latvian - varēt and prast.

I got through unit 11 of My Korean. I was lazy and didn't do the exercises, I only read everything there was to read including the grammar explanations. There weren't a lot of them, most of the grammar was about using -서. There was nothing new for me so it took me less than an hour.

It's been difficult but I've managed to stay (almost) on top of my Korean Anki reviews. The Finnish reviews suffered a bit but I'll try to fix that today. I slept well last night and I have nothing important planned for today so I hope I can get in some quality study time.

I forgot to mention that I finished The Greatest Love. I already said everything there was to say about it in a previous post so I won't repeat it. It was mildly entertaining but not something I would suggest for others to watch.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 380 of 559
24 February 2013 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
As for the February challenge to learn a song, I've been listening to my song a lot and I'm almost done learning the lyrics by heart (or at least well enough to sing along). This song is actually two songs - That Woman and That Man. They are practically the same, only all the occurences of the word "woman" have been replaced by "man" in the second version. I've been listening to both of them so that it doesn't get too boring, and I've even been listening to a recording of That Man by a different artist. I love all three versions.

Anyway, the lyrics and the translation is available here. I would appreciate if someone with better Korean than me went through it all and confirmed that the translation is indeed correct. The Korean lyrics contain a few typos (I compared them to on-screen lyrics of a video on youtube) so I fixed them and I'll post them here:

백지영 - 그 여자

한 여자가 그대를 사랑합니다
그 여자는 열심히 사랑합니다
매일 그림자처럼 그대를 따라다니며
그 여자는 웃으며 울고있어요

얼마나 얼마나 더 너를
이렇게 바라만 보며 혼자
이 바람 같은 사랑 이 거지 같은 사랑
계속해야 네가 나를 사랑하겠니

조금만 가까이 와 조금만
한 발 다가가면 두 발 도망가는
널 사랑하는 난 지금도 옆에 있어
그 여잔 웁니다
------------------
그 여자는 성격이 소심합니다
그래서 웃는 법을 배웠답니다
친한 친구에게도 못하는 얘기가 많은
그 여자의 마음은 눈물투성이

그래서 그 여자는 그댈
널 사랑했데요 똑같아서
또 하나 같은 바보 또 하나 같은 바보
한번 나를 안아주고 가면 안 돼요

난 사랑받고 싶어 그대여
매일 속으로만 가슴 속으로만
소리를 지르며 그 여자는 오늘도
그 옆에 있대요
--------------------
그 여자가 나라는 걸 아나요
알면서도 이러는 건 아니죠
모를 거야 그댄 바보니까

얼마나 얼마나 더 너를
이렇게 바라만 보며 혼자
이 바보 같은 사랑 이 거지 같은 사랑
계속해야 니가 나를 사랑하겠니

조금만 가까이 와 조금만
한발 다가가면 두 발 도망가는
널 사랑하는 난 지금도 옆에 있어
그 여잔 웁니다

I can't even attempt to understand everything in this song, it's quite above the beginner level but there are a couple of things I feel I should understand but I don't:

1) "친한 친구에게도 못하는 얘기가 많 그 여자의 마음은 눈물투성이" Why is it 많은 and not 많아요? It seems like this is the adjective form but I can't find the noun it goes with.

2) "한번 나를 안아주고 가면 안 돼요" The translation says this line means "Please give me a hug before you leave me" and I don't get it, to me it seems more like "It's not okay to give me a hug and then go". Am I missing something here?

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 381 of 559
25 February 2013 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
1) "친한 친구에게도 못하는 얘기가 많 그 여자의 마음은 눈물투성이" Why is it 많은 and not 많아요? It seems like this is the adjective form but I can't find the noun it goes with.

It appears to be an adjectival phrase that modifies 여자 (along with 그 which also modifies 여자). So roughly: "The heart of that woman, who says bad things even to her close friends, is covered with tears."
EDIT: See a few posts later for my modified version of this which seems to fit better.

Quote:
2) "한번 나를 안아주고 가면 안 돼요" The translation says this line means "Please give me a hug before you leave me" and I don't get it, to me it seems more like "It's not okay to give me a hug and then go". Am I missing something here?

When used as a question, the 면 안 돼요 form is actually more similar to the 도 돼요 form in meaning, rather than the 면 돼요 form. The English translation would be more like: "Can't you hug me once before you go?".

Edited by Warp3 on 26 February 2013 at 12:06am

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 382 of 559
25 February 2013 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
When used as a question, the 면 안 돼요 form is actually more similar to the 도 돼요 form in meaning, rather than the 면 돼요 form. The English translation would be more like: "Can't you hug me once before you go?".

I think TTMIK covered this in level 4 but it's been a while since I've listened to that particular lesson. Still - how do you know it's a question? That thought never entered my mind, I was very very surprised when I read your explanation.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 383 of 559
26 February 2013 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Warp3 wrote:

I think TTMIK covered this in level 4 but it's been a while since I've listened to that particular lesson. Still - how do you know it's a question? That thought never entered my mind, I was very very surprised when I read your explanation.

I don't really know whether it is used a question form in the song, I was merely noting that as an explanation which would make it match the translation that was given. In fact I just now read the context of the lyrics you posted and I'm still not quite sure whether that line is supposed to be a statement or a question.

Also on second thought, I'm no longer sure I like my translation of the first line you noted either. The translation given in your link which is closer to "with many things she can't tell even close friends" makes much more sense than what I put.

Edited by Warp3 on 26 February 2013 at 12:04am

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 384 of 559
27 February 2013 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
I've finished level 6 on TTMIK. Yay! Now I can start it all over again LOL. No really, I haven't reviewed the lessons much and I have enormous problems with their sentence drill lessons, which is a clear indicator I should spend some more time on this level, and on level 5 as well.

I've been spending less time on studying recently as there are other things needing my attention. Doing the Anki reviews has been a problem. I've discovered that the best way for me to do the reviews is on my phone while walking around outside. The problem is that it's winter, it's cold and my fingers get cold. But my brain works very well in these conditions.

A random Korean thing: curious how 정부 means 'government' and 부정 means 'corruption'.

As for Finnish, I still listen to radio Sun several times a week and I'm still doing the Anki reviews. The backlog is down to 140 cards which is very little but I can't seem to be able to get rid of it because doing the Korean reviews has a higher priority for me. I did read an article about the Italian elections on YLE Easy News and added some new words to Anki.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version