Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 329 of 559
05 January 2013 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
Thanks for that explanation, CZ, that's actually very useful. Now that I think about it, TTMIK introduced the 주다 construction back in level 2 as an imperative expression, for example 말해 주세요. It hadn't occurred to me it could be used in other tenses too. Good to know.

I've done the first 3 lessons of TTMIK level 6 and they've been quite interesting. They mentioned the 이게 contraction for the first time although they've used it before. They also talked about -의 for the first time (not in much detail) and how to pronounce it. I found it interesting that Koreans didn't have an expression corresponding to "one of the most..." before and only recently started using 가장 ~ 중의 하나 as an influence from English.

Here's one of the example sentences from lesson 6x03:

여기가 제가 제일 자주 오는 카페 중(의) 하나예요.

Do you know what I find the most confusing about it? The two subject particles. How can there be two subjects in a sentence? I do sort of get it (because it would be two clauses in English or in Latvian and each clause has its own subject) but I still can't get used to it. I guess it'll keep baffling me until I start reading more and get more exposure.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4755 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 330 of 559
05 January 2013 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I found it interesting that Koreans didn't have an expression corresponding to "one of the most..." before and only recently started using 가장 ~ 중의 하나 as an influence from English.

It doesn't make sense to me. I don't speak like that.

Evita wrote:

Do you know what I find the most confusing about it? The two subject particles. How can there be two subjects in a sentence?

There are two verbs (오다, 이다), so it's only natural that there are two subjects. Why do you think there aren't two clauses in Korean... 오는 is clearly a relative clause.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 331 of 559
05 January 2013 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
Ojorolla wrote:
There are two verbs (오다, 이다), so it's only natural that there are two subjects. Why do you think there aren't two clauses in Korean... 오는 is clearly a relative clause.

Of course you are right, I simply haven't studied various types of sentence clauses in Korean so I can't recognize them well. Not to mention the fact that the subject often gets omitted so to have two of them right next to each other is mildly disconcerting. For me. No doubt I'll get used to it eventually.

I should write something about Faith as I finally finished watching it today. Overall it was disappointing. The politics felt like it was going round and round, nothing really changing except people getting killed left and right. The romance was kind of sweet but I had expected more from that too. The ending felt rushed. I guess this one goes to the bottom of my list of the dramas that I have finished.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 332 of 559
05 January 2013 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I should write something about Faith as I finally finished watching it today. Overall it was disappointing. The politics felt like it was going round and round, nothing really changing except people getting killed left and right. The romance was kind of sweet but I had expected more from that too. The ending felt rushed. I guess this one goes to the bottom of my list of the dramas that I have finished.

Good to know that I didn't miss anything... I stopped somewhere in the middle because I just couldn't get really interested in the drama. I have a new suggestion for you: King of Dramas has been quite fun to watch, although some developments in the later episodes are less than optimal.

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5988 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 333 of 559
05 January 2013 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
I've never liked any Korean dramas. I see random episodes on TV and none of them interest me at all.

But I watched Queen of Housewives and it was great! I was shocked. All the characters are older and married, that's probably why I liked it. No young love or fatal diseases, absolutely NO cringingly cute characters. It's free on youtube with very good English subtitles that capture the humor and mood. Anyway it's worth a look if you want something that's really different. It centers on the employees of a Korean food company, and their career and relationship entanglements.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 334 of 559
06 January 2013 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
Haksaeng: Thanks, I'll check it out sometime.

Druckfehler: that's not a new suggestion at all, you've mentioned it a few times ;) It's still on my list, just like I Miss You, City Hunter, Secret Garden and a few others. But right now I'm watching Nice Guy (started it yesterday) and wow, it's good. Love, betrayal, revenge, greed... The synopsis said there would be amnesia involved too. So delicious. I have a feeling I'll finish this one fast. It doesn't hurt that the main guy is so good looking hehe. 송중기. I remember him from SS, of course.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 335 of 559
07 January 2013 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
I overdosed a bit on Nice Guy yesterday, I think I watched 8 episodes. That was a lot of misery for one day. I was all excited after watching the first few eps and I didn't realize how oppressing it would be to watch characters fight dirty and hurt each other all the time. It even messed with my sleep last night, I woke up at random times after dreaming about the characters (and they were not very pleasant dreams).

It's a good drama overall. The actors are all good. In Faith, I thought the queen and the woman who burned people to death were not good enough. In Nice Guy, they're all good enough. I like how they're portraying Eungi; her love and her expression of it is about the only uplifting story this drama has.

There are some things I don't like though. At first I thought it was clever how they would interrupt a scene and not show the other half until some time later as someone's memory. But then I grew tired of it. Not showing the car accident at all? None of them in the hospital? I understand they may not have had enough money to fake a realistic car crash but what's the excuse for the hospital thing? And I don't get the car crash. It seems like Eungi wanted to commit suicide but did she really have to take another person with her? That's so wrong. And Maru - why didn't he try to avoid the crash? Don't tell me if they explain it later in the series but I just don't get it. It seems like it happened for no reason other than the writers wrote it.

If you have seen the drama, maybe you remember Eungi had lots of simple cards on the wall when she was trying to learn how to read and write again. I paused and read them too. I understood most of them.

I've also noticed an improvement in what I can understand when they talk. It's not much yet but I keep catching more and more phrases. Working on the vocabulary really pays off.

By the way, I'm quite proud of myself for doing all my Anki reviews yesterday (or all the Korean reviews anyway). I tend to neglect Anki when I'm hooked on a drama. And also by the way, when I say "all my Korean reviews" I mean that I reviewed all the cards that were in my review pile, not my learning pile. In 90% cases, I have some learning cards left over for the next day because I have 40 and 80 minute intervals and it just goes into the night. It's actually not bad, it means that I get to review the same card three days in a row. I can learn it well that way.

On a different subject, I still haven't gotten any reply from the publisher of "Korean Grammar in Use". I'm afraid I won't and it sucks, I really wanted those books as my grammar reference. Hmm, maybe I can ask my colleague to buy them when she's in Korea. But I don't know, I don't want to ask too much of her. Maybe these books aren't easy to find.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 336 of 559
09 January 2013 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
I've been quite busy so I haven't watched Nice Guy much. What I've done instead is listened to two new TTMIK lessons and lots of Iyagi podcasts. Lately I've been choosing Iyagi over lesson repeats when commuting so I take it as a sign that I'm ready to start seriously working with Iyagi. I recognize lots of words and phrases when I'm listening to the podcasts but I can't quite follow the conversation yet. My first task will be to read and analyze a complete transcript of one podcast, I think it should help me tremendously. I've tried to do it before but I always get stuck half a page or so in because the podcasts are long and I'm going very slowly and then I forget where I was and I don't want to read it all again (because reading is hard) so I move on to the next podcast. I think the solution is to divide one podcast into 10 or so manageable pieces, both audio and text. I will make it my personal January challenge to finish one podcast.

One grammar construction I've already learned (a bit) from Iyagi is -ㄹ 때 (when). It's one more thing they should have explained in the lessons but didn't.

I know I should finish the SNU lessons first, I only have 6 left. It's a bit crazy I'm starting to work on intermediate level stuff without finishing the most basic course. But what can you do, Iyagi just seems more interesting and challenging.

I actually have something to report regarding Finnish as well. (Yay!) It's nothing big, just that I remembered my plan to read some news in easy Finnish so I did that yesterday. I also worked on my Finnish Anki deck. The review pile is still as big as ever though. Reviewing 30 words every other day is not enough to make the pile disappear. It's all I can do though.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version