Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 185 of 559
06 September 2012 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Yesterday I was able to study both at work and at home so the total time I spent on languages was at least 4 hours I think. Maybe even 5-6 hours. I don't know, I don't track time, I'm just estimating. Most of that time was spent on Korean, Finnish got maybe an hour and a half.

Most of my Korean time was spent reviewing things - three TTMIK lessons, the textbook, also SNU. SNU is not included in that list I made for myself but I felt like doing it anyway. I reviewed the dialogue and texts from unit 5 and worked on unit 6 for a bit. One thing I've noticed is that the SNU lessons use the subject marking particles much more often than the TTMIK lessons. I know that they are usually not mandatory so I like it that I can compare these two approaches and start to develop my own feeling of when to use them.

Unit 2 of My Korean deals with the Korean alphabet so it was easy to review it. The most useful for me was the part about sound shifts even though I'd read it already twice before. I also read the first dialogue of unit 3. It's great to note my much improved reading speed and comprehension compared to when I did this unit for the first time.

One of the TTMIK lessons I repeated was about the -로 particle. It has so many different uses that I decided to see what the rest of the internet had to say about it, and I found this page. Now, this seems like a great site on the first view but aren't there two mistakes in the example sentences? First, it should be 연필로, not 연필으로, and second, a car is 자동차, not 차동자. It's pretty bad to have such mistakes on a grammar site so I'm not sure how trustworthy the other pages of that site are.

As for Finnish, I spent my time reading and listening to the 'show me the way' dialogues of lesson 4. Even though I knew most of the vocabulary already, I still found it useful to go over each dialogue several times.

I worked on Anki as well. Not much to say about it, I'll be very glad if I manage to do all the reviews by tomorrow night. I should have a lot of time for studying today as well so I'll try to use it productively.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 186 of 559
07 September 2012 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
I didn't study yesterday as much as the day before but still a solid amount. I repeated one TTMIK lesson, continued a bit with unit 3 of My Korean, and finished unit 6 on SNU. The texts in this unit seemed much easier than the earlier texts, I could understand about 80% from listening to them once. I don't know if it's due to me getting better at listening or just the vocabulary being more familiar than usually.

For Finnish, I finished lesson 4 on TY. I didn't do all the exercises though.

I also spent a lot of time doing Anki reviews. I have to review 289 cards today if I want to catch up with everything, and I hope I can do it.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 187 of 559
08 September 2012 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
I finished all the reviews in my Korean Anki deck yesterday! Wow, I hadn't seen the Congratulations window for so long I had forgotten about its existence.

I had 50 cards left in my Finnish deck last night, and this morning it's 93. Wow, 43 reviews in a day is way less than I'm used to. For Korean, I have 84 reviews due today.

By the way, my total card count is 912 for Finnish and 1024 for Korean.

I listened to TTMIK lesson 3x17 which introduced 위해. This was an interesting but rather incomplete lesson. They said that this expression is used rarely in the spoken language (mostly it's for the written language) and they said they had difficulty finding appropriate sample sentences but they did manage to find some. What was missing from the lesson was an explanation as to why those sentences were okay for the spoken language and others were not.

I worked on unit 3 of my Korean textbook but I didn't finish it. And I didn't even start lesson 5 of TYF. So overall if we look at the goals I set for myself for this week, I'd rate my work on Korean very well but on Finnish... barely satisfactory. I have more enjoyable Korean materials to work on (compared to my Finnish materials) so I'm more eager to study them.

On a different note, I found another word that's practically the same in Finnish and in Latvian: an interpreter - tulkki - tulks.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6946 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 188 of 559
08 September 2012 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I worked on unit 3 of my Korean textbook but I didn't finish it. And I didn't even start lesson 5 of TYF. So overall if we look at the goals I set for myself for this week, I'd rate my work on Korean very well but on Finnish... barely satisfactory. I have more enjoyable Korean materials to work on (compared to my Finnish materials) so I'm more eager to study them.

My current Finnish course, Kuulostaa hyvältä, can get a little dry when I do the exercises. To keep away the occasional boredom associated with the learning process, I watch an episode or two of Pasila (usually with subtitles since my brain wants to take a break). I've found this helpful.

Here's my favourite episode of Pasila (with subtitles in English).

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4755 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 189 of 559
09 September 2012 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I listened to TTMIK lesson 3x17 which introduced 위해. This was an interesting but rather incomplete lesson. They said that this expression is used rarely in the spoken language (mostly it's for the written language) and they said they had difficulty finding appropriate sample sentences but they did manage to find some. What was missing from the lesson was an explanation as to why those sentences were okay for the spoken language and others were not.

The border line between the written and spoken languages - Wouldn't it be difficult to describe it in general?

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 190 of 559
09 September 2012 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
Chung: Thanks for that reminder. Pasila is not something I would watch for entertainment (I don't care for animated shows, never watched The Simpsons or anything similar) but it seems to be the only Finnish show available with English subtitles so I'll be using that.

Ojorolla: I'm the wrong person to ask this question to, lol. But if the line is difficult to describe in general, they could have mentioned at least three examples where this expression is not used in the spoken language, just to give the listeners an idea about it all.

As for yesterday, I think I did only two language studying-related things - the Anki reviews and lesson 5 of TYF. This lesson is about traveling - finding out train schedules and buying tickets and going on vacation. These lessons are starting to get more difficult with more new vocabulary for me. It's good. Also, this lesson contains a lot of numbers (times when trains arrive or depart and so on) so I'm using the audio dialogues to practice recognizing the numbers quickly.

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4755 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 191 of 559
09 September 2012 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
I'll give you just 2:
구청에 다니려고 오토바이를 샀어. - Spoken
구청에 다니기 위해 오토바이를 샀다. - Written
시험 공부 하려고 교재를 샀어. - Spoken
시험 공부 하기 위해 교재를 샀다. - Written

Bonus:
너를 위해서 이러는 거야. - Okay as Spoken
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 192 of 559
09 September 2012 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
Okay... I haven't learned -려고 yet, TTMIK introduces it in lesson 8 of level 5 so it's still a while ahead. By the way, TTMIK has an overview page that lists all their lessons and their topics. It's been invaluable to me, I check this list almost every day to look up which lesson has the topic that I want to review.

P.S. That Bonus sentence goes right over my head, I haven't learned that grammar yet, sorry.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version