Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 537 of 559
02 December 2013 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
I can't muster any will to study German from textbooks. Whenever I glance at the book I borrowed from my colleague, my next thought is that I'd rather spend that time on Korean. Maybe it's foolish, after all I need German for work, but I think I'm just waiting to find out exactly how much German I will really need. If I need to read software documentation in German then that will be enough practice in and of itself. If I need to write a lot... I don't like writing with mistakes so I'll need to google every phrase I'm not sure about. And if I need to speak, that would be the biggest problem but maybe my nice pronunciation will keep them from noticing my stuttering :)

As for Korean, I finished another Iyagi lesson, this time it was no.50 about milk. I definitely spent more time on it than on the first one, probably because I was reading just the Korean text at first and only consulting the English translation if I couldn't figure out the meaning by myself. It happened more than a few times, to be honest, the biggest stumbling block being the part where they talked about milk duty at school. I looked up the word 'duty' on Naver but I thought it was milk drinking duty, not milk getting duty, so I couldn't make any sense of it. The good news is that there were not more than 10 words I didn't know (like 'bone', 'duty', 'nutrient'). The bad news is that even in such a situation I still have trouble figuring out the meaning of the sentence often. But that's what the other Iyagi's are for.

My Anki backlog is down to some 300 cards and I want to work at it seriously this week and get rid of it. I have about 50 new words already entered into Anki and I'm itching to learn them. I've also been working on my sentence deck recently, I've added sentences up to TTMIK 4x18 now, as well as more than one third of the first grammar book. I want to keep doing it this week, focus on grammar and textbooks and Anki and not on native materials. If I read Iyagi or drama scripts, I get more new words for Anki but I don't want that now.

I think I'm going to keep this log going until the end of the year and start a new one in January. By the way, I plan to get back to Finnish in the second half of the next year. I figure my Korean shouldn't need as much work by then so I should be able to focus on another language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mareike
Germany
Joined 6014 days ago

267 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Swedish

Message 538 of 559
02 December 2013 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
What we want to learn and what we have to learn don’t always match together. It’s hard to concentrate or learn fields in which you are not really into.

According to the job advertisement for my current job, I have to know English. I work there for three years and I have never used English.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 539 of 559
04 December 2013 at 7:35am | IP Logged 
There was a bit of Hanja discussion on Warp3's log (thanks, by the way) and I started looking for internet resources regarding this topic and I found The Floating Lantern. I love it! It looks like the project is inactive at the moment, there have been no new hanjas since summer, but what there is is the best hanja introduction to beginners. If you know some Korean but have been avoiding hanja because you didn't know where to start - well, this is the place to start.

In the links section, I found this app. I haven't tried it yet but I will as soon as I buy a new phone. I will never practice writing hanja on paper but doing it on my phone sounds much better.

I also found the Everyday Hanja blog. Its link section also contains many useful links. The more I looked at the various sites, the more I started wanting to learn hanja. The characters look so pretty and seem so mysterious. I think I will spend a few more months mulling it over and gathering resources and then I'll start creating my own hanja Anki deck.
5 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 540 of 559
04 December 2013 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Those sites look awesome! Makes me want to learn some Hanja as well :D

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 541 of 559
05 December 2013 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
I am quite mad at myself - and to a lesser extent, at the Anki creator. All this time I've been so proud of my shared Korean decks but yesterday I learned that new cards in these decks are not presented in the order I want them to.

There are two problems. One is that sometime in summer I reordered all the cards in both of my decks (and by "reordered" I mean I changed the "Created" date with the help of an add-on). I thought this "Created" date was used to determine the order in which new cards are displayed (the description of the add-on said so) but it turns out that it was true only in Anki 1. So my supposed reordering didn't actually change anything. Gah! I'm so mad about it. Yes, maybe I should have downloaded my own deck and checked how it worked, that's why I'm so mad at myself.

But the second problem is not my fault. I did download my own vocabulary deck last night and guess which card was shown as the very first card in the deck? One I added a couple of weeks ago. That didn't make any sense, it should have been either the one I added first in May 2012 or the one I reordered to be the first one, but certainly not one from November 23rd. So I made a post about it on the Anki support site and the author of Anki said it was because that card from November 23rd was the first New card in my deck while all the older ones had already been previously reviewed. What??? I have no idea why it would work that way and I'm going to appeal to him to change it but for now I guess the easiest way to fix it is not share my deck if it has any new cards at the moment. This doesn't happen very often (right now my deck has 50 new cards, for example) so I'll have to think some more about how to handle it in the future.

The first problem is not so easy to fix though. If my cards were all new then I could use the Reposition command in the browser to change the Due field and that would accomplish what I need. As it is though, this method doesn't work for cards that have already been reviewed. It sucks. In the worst case, I will end up with two decks - one for sharing and one for studying, and it will be a mess. I can't believe there's no way to reorder not-new cards. How is it possible? Maybe the Anki support staff will suggest something.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 542 of 559
09 December 2013 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
I figured out a workaround for the problem described in the previous post. I put my deck on two different computers, then rescheduled all cards as new on one computer, reordered them, shared them, and then restored everything back to how it was by synchronizing from my second computer. It's a bit of a headache but I won't be doing it too often.

So that's how I spent my Sunday. Saturday, on the other hand, had a lot of German in it. As the date grows nearer, so grows my urgency to study German. I did several chapters from Schritte International 2. It's a book designed for level A1 but it was useful for me anyway. I read all the texts out loud and on Sunday morning I realized I was mumbling something in German to myself. Too bad I have to give the books back. But I found them in electronic format, maybe I'll use that. One useful thing I got out of the book is that you don't use an article when you say what your profession is in German. Things like this, things that are different from English is what I will have to be the most careful about.

Speaking of electronic books, I found this site for Korean books. I rarely venture into the Russian part of the internet so I don't know whether there are more sites like this.

It's been a while since I've talked about Korean dramas. I'm still watching Heirs even though it's so boring and I can't connect with the romance at all, I keep thinking "don't stick together if it's too much trouble, you're just 17, wait till you grow up and grow independent and then love whoever you want". Yeah, so... I'm just watching out of stubbornness and can't wait for it to end. On the positive side, I just started Empress Ki because I had heard so many positive reviews about it and so far it hasn't disappointed. I didn't even know it had a "girl-pretends-to-be-boy" storyline even though I should have figured it out when I heard Ha Ji Won's character described as "badass".

druckfehler, if you're reading this, maybe we can do a Skype chat in German sometime this week? I'd really appreciate it.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4637 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 543 of 559
11 December 2013 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
I guess Anki is not picture perfect yet. :)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 544 of 559
11 December 2013 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
Evita, I'm not sure about internet access this week. When is your interview? Thursday/Friday evening (depending on when I get home) or Sunday morning might be possible.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version