Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 257 of 559
13 November 2012 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
I plan to read the Coffee Prince novel someday if I can get my hands on it so I'd prefer to get the comic book of a different drama. Just to keep things interesting.

Speaking of keeping things interesting, I decided to start with Iyagi #40 because it has my favorite TTMIK hosts - Kyeongeun and Hyeonu. So I started reading the transcript and I could understand the first few lines with the help of a dictionary but the first longer sentence stumped me. Here it is:

그런데 제가 옆에서 보면 서점에 가기 싫어서 인터넷으로 책을 배달시키잖아요.

This is like a puzzle for me. I think I have all the individual pieces but I can't make any sense of it. Here's what I figure:

그런데 - but
제가 - I
옆에서 - next to
보면 - if I see/if you see
서점에 - in the book shop
가기 - 가다 in the noun form?
싫어서 - because you don't like
인터넷으로 - via the internet
책을 - a book
배달시키잖아요 - order delivery

I've tried to figure this out but I can't. I even tried google but that didn't make any sense either (But I did not want to go to a bookstore to look at next book as the Internet delivery got him.) I'm guessing it should say something like "Kyeongeun is lazy because she orders books on the internet instead of going to the bookstore" but that's just a guess.

I did two more TTMIK lessons yesterday. 4x26 was about past tense noun groups (very similar to the previous lesson) and 4x27 was about how to say "I think ..." using the 것 같다 form. They had already introduced it in lesson 3x09 so I'm not sure why they felt the need to do another lesson on it. It was welcome practice, sure, but...

Anyway, I went over lesson 4x25 again and I noticed something interesting. One of their example sentences included the phrase "할 일이" (work that I will do). If I hadn't had any audio I would have pronounced it as "hariri" but in fact it is pronounced as "halliri". They didn't explain it in the lesson but I guess it's because 일 is a noun and nouns usually don't merge together with the previous word.

I also finished unit 11 on SNU. One of the exercises was to type verbs in the future tense and I thought it was easy until I got to 듣다. That was my only mistake. I thought about it and decided it must be 들 거예요 but in fact it's 들을 거예요.

I also spent 15 minutes on unit 6 of My Korean, listened to some audio exercises about setting up meeting time. That went well. I think I'm finally getting comfortable with hours. But minutes - not yet.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 258 of 559
13 November 2012 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
To be honest, I can't make complete sense of the sentence you posted either.
This part makes sense: 서점에 가기 싫어서 인터넷으로 책을 배달시키잖아요.
Because I hate going to the bookstore, I order books through the internet.
You're right, 가기 is 가다 in the noun form. -기 좋아하다/싫어하다 means "to like/hate to do something". -으로 here signifies a means by which something is done.

제가 보면 can mean something like "as I see it". I just don't know what the "옆에서" is supposed to refer to. Maybe it makes more sense in the context?

Edited by druckfehler on 13 November 2012 at 10:12am

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5988 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 259 of 559
13 November 2012 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
옆에서 보다 literally translates as looking from the side. So maybe 제가 옆에서 보면 could be an expression similar to when we say in English, "as an outside observer" or "looking on from the sidelines," and he's just using it that way to preface his comments on her purchasing habits.

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4755 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 260 of 559
13 November 2012 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
I can't think of the exact counterpart of the word "옆에서" in English. I would be glad if someone could provide a relevant translation.

To me, the sentence means:
'If you are by my side and you watch me it looks like I order ...' (but in reality it could be otherwise)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 261 of 559
13 November 2012 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the help everyone. Here's the context (copied from the PDF):

경은: 안녕하세요. 현우 씨.
현우: 안녕하세요. 경은 씨. 경은 씨, 평소에 경은 씨 좀 게으르죠?
경은: 저요? (네) 아니에요.
현우: 아니에요?
경은: 굉장히 부지런해요.
현우: 그래요? 그런데 제가 옆에서 보면 서점에 가기 싫어서 인터넷으로 책을 배달시키잖아요.
경은: 그거는 게을러서 그런 게 아니라요, 인터넷으로 배달시키면 더 싸요.
현우: 그래요?
경은: 네.

The good news is that TTMIK sell full translations of the transcripts for just $2 per 10 lessons. I'm going to buy the 31-40 package tonight and I'll let you know in my next post what the correct translation was.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 262 of 559
14 November 2012 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
Apparently the price has gone up since the translations were first published. Still I bought the package and here's what it says about our sentence:

But I see you [at your side] that you have books delivered by internet because you don’t like to go to bookstores.

As for what I did yesterday, I finally finished reviewing unit 6 of My Korean. Unit 7 was where I left off last time so I'm glad I can keep studying it now.

TTMIK lesson 4x28 introduced the -아/어/여지다 construction. I was surprised there is no space in the middle like in most constructions.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 263 of 559
15 November 2012 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
TTMIK lesson 4x29 introduced the 하게 되다 construction - to get to do something. It's been a while since I've found a new concept to be this difficult. Or to be more precise, it's the usage I find difficult. It's very specific and honestly I think maybe it should have been left for a higher level. But they do explain it very well.

The Korean Anki reviews are going well. My total card count is 1384. A couple of days ago I had 100 reviews for a single day but today I have just 81. My Finnish deck still has a backlog of 150 cards, I'm working on it little by little every day. It's fine because I don't add any new cards so I don't have many new reviews.

You may have noticed that I don't do any writing or speaking or even shadowing practice. Well, almost none. Sometimes (rarely) I repeat a word of phrase while listening to TTMIK, and sometimes I read and repeat words aloud from Anki in order to remember them better. I've found that it helps. But outside of that, I don't do any active language production in Korean. Now that I think about it, I should probably repeat things more often with TTMIK, I've noticed that when I try to say something in Korean my sentence doesn't have the right intonation. But I also think that listening and watching dramas a lot will help with that.

As for writing, I'm leaving that for next year. Constructing correct sentences will be my biggest challenge. Once I feel that I know enough grammar and vocabulary to start doing this, I will register on HaruKorean and write there so I can get corrections.

Once I'm able to produce correct sentences in writing, it will be a piece of cake to do the same when speaking. At least that was my experience with English. So that's my plan for the next two years for Korean :)

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 264 of 559
16 November 2012 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
This log is such a great motivational tool for me. Sometimes I'm tired or I just don't feel like studying much but then I think I should do something otherwise I'll have nothing to write about. So thank you all for reading it and posting the occasional comment.

A couple of TTMIK lessons ago I heard the funniest Korean word - 따뜻하다 (ttatteuttada, to be warm). I just couldn't believe it was a real word when they said it, it seemed like stuttering or something.

Unit 7 of My Korean seems very easy so far. It basically deals with the past tense so it's no problem for me. The audio exercises are easy too. The only things I really pay attention to are the formal verb endings because TTMIK almost never mentions them.

Speaking of TTMIK, there's only one lesson left in level 4 and it's the second sentence Building Drill lesson. I didn't feel like doing exercises or drills yesterday so I'll do it today.

I think I'm finally getting comfortable with the adjective forms of Korean action verbs. I mean sentences like "the book that I'm reading" or "the cafe that I go to often" or "the movie that you told me about", it's not easy to switch my brain around so that these subordinate clauses become adjective phrases. But I'm finally getting there.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version