Triglot
Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 409 of 559
03 April 2013 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the SBS tip! Will be checking that out.

I also really like Moon Chae Won. I don't remember whether you watch any historical dramas, but if you do The Princess' Man (공주의 남자) might be worth a try. I loved both the actress and her character in that drama.

1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 410 of 559
07 April 2013 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
I think I have seen only two historical dramas but Princess' Man might be indeed worth a try, I've seen some good reviews. But for now I'll be watching 최고다 이순신 (You're the best, Lee Soon Shin). I realized that the best way to ensure that I don't abandon my studies in order to watch TV is to watch something that is still airing (duh!). It's supposed to have 50 episodes so it should last me a good long while. To be honest, so far I've found it more boring than expected but that's not a big problem. It's nice and relaxing as there are no real villains. The subtitles for episodes 9 and 10 haven't come out yet so I watched episode 9 without subtitles today. It was definitely a better experience than my previous time last autumn when I tried an episode of I Miss You. I don't know how many details I missed, probably many because there were whole conversations where I couldn't understand almost anything, but the visual clues helped me understand the big storylines. I'm curious though why the main characters went to the mountain. I'm guessing maybe the president wanted to test Sun Shin's endurance? I'll watch the episode again when the subtitles are out and report my findings here.

Working with Anki is so much easier and more fun now that I have only one deck left, it's amazing. I've caught up with my backlog and I've been adding new cards all the time. My current word count is 1590. A good chunk of the new words came from the GLOSS lesson, by the way. Some others came from Iyagi lessons.

Today I spent several hours on my Anki sentence deck and added more than 50 cards. I can't really count it as studying but it's just something I enjoy doing. I've added sentences up to TTMIK lesson 2x16 and Click Korean Unit 7.

As for Finnish, I've been doing the same things - listening to the radio and reading the occasional article. Usually I copy the whole article into Google Translate and then try to make sense of it and figure out why the endings are as they are. It saves time because then I don't have to look up every word on Wikipedia.

I also found another song I like - Pimeä onni. Usually I need to hear a song several times on the radio before I decide that I want to try to look up the lyrics and find the song but this time I just listened carefully to the announcer after the song ended and I caught the name of the song just like that! So it was easy this time. Then I tried to study the lyrics but the English translation wasn't very good or maybe the words were too poetic, it was quite difficult.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 411 of 559
12 April 2013 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
I got both "Korean Grammar in Use" books yesterday! I've been waiting for them for months so I'm very happy. I said I wouldn't set any goals anymore regarding finishing particular textbooks or online materials but I'm making an exception for these books. Their setup is quite similar to the TTMIK lessons, they both focus almost exclusively on grammar looking at one construction per lesson. I like this approach, that's why I bought them in the first place.

So my goal is to get through the first book by the end of June and to finish the second book by the end of December. I am quite generous with these deadlines, actually I hope it won't take me that long, especially the first book. Like I expected, I'm already familiar with most grammar topics it covers so it will be just a matter of reading it all, doing the exercises and perhaps learning more nuances regarding usage. I'm especially looking forward to those lessons that cover topics that have been mentioned on TTMIK but haven't had their separate lessons, like -의, -ㄹ 때, -면서, 동안, -아/어 있다 (I remember seeing this one in an Iyagi lesson and asking about it here), etc.

I still love the tfsRadio application. Yesterday on my way home I felt like trying something new so I found a German radio (Antenne). I listened to it this morning as well but I don't know how much more I can take it, they're talking about spring and the weather all the time. It's a nice change of pace though - to listen to a radio I can understand. Maybe I'll make it a habit in order to try to reactivate my German skills.

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5988 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 412 of 559
12 April 2013 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
I used the Korean Grammar in Use Intermediate book and I loved it! I refer to it constantly when I want to review any grammar that I"ve forgotten. I especially like the way it uses tables and chargs to highlight the similarities and differences between related grammatical constructions. All the grammar explanations are quite thorough and really helped me to better understand how some of the grammar should be used. The CD is also excellent.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 413 of 559
14 April 2013 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
I looked through the Intermediate book and it contains more Korean and less English than the Beginning book. It is intimidating but it should be very helpful once I start studying it seriously.

For now I will focus on the first book. The most useful thing I've gotten out of it so far is the explanation about '도'. TTMIK said it means 'also' or 'even' when used with nouns but I've noticed in dramas that they seem to use it in situations when it's not used in English. The book explained that it's also used for listing things and gave some examples. The strange thing is that I can't find this explanation anymore, I don't remember where I saw it. It's not in the 'N도' chapter where I thought it would be. Hmm.

(15 minutes later) Found it! It's in the -고 chapter:

"The form 'N도 Vst고 N도 V' is used when combining two or more facts about the same subject."

Example: 형은 수영도 잘하고 농구도 잘해요.

------------------------

About Anki. I've been studying 8 new words per day for the last week and it's been doable so far. It's more than I did before and I also have to review learning cards more because of the additional step I added. The reviewing takes about half an hour every day so it's not too much. A bigger challenge is to come up with 8 new words every day.

About dramas. I finished watching Answer me 1997. I have to agree with others that it was pretty good even though I didn't get any of the references (except Eminem and 8 Mile lol, oh and I think they mentioned Micky Yoochun as well). I pretty much loved the ending, didn't see the second child coming at all. It's nice to be surprised like that. But my Korean didn't get much out of this drama because of the Busan dialect.

I had to wait a long time for the subtitles for the new episodes of You're The Best, Lee Soon Shin to come out. I think it was 5 days. Anyway, I watched both of those episodes with subtitles and I saw what I had missed without them. As expected, the storyline I had the most problems with had to do with the birth secret because when you talk about past events there are very few visual clues to help catch what's going on. I had figured out that the mother tried to find out more information about the woman in the picture and that she was lied to but not more than that.

Episode 11 came out yesterday and I watched it without subtitles again. I think I'll keep doing that, it's good practice for me and I get so happy every time I understand what's going on. For example, in yesterday's episode there was a scene where Soon-shin and the president were sitting in a cafeteria. At one point he said she had to keep going to the gym and she asked whether they'd be going to the mountain again and he said no, he's busy so she can go by herself (but really he just didn't want to go because she was so much better at hiking than him, hehe). This is not trivial conversation so I was very happy I understood it. Well, I'm not 100% sure I understood it correctly but I hope so. I'll see when the subtitles come out.

A random thing: I recently entered the word 짓 into Anki and I'm kind of surprised I didn't come across it sooner. I recognized it immediately from dramas where I've heard it used in sentences like 무슨 짓이야? quite a lot.

About TTMIK. I'm up to lesson 7x14 and I'll stay there for a while. My main priority now is to go through the first grammar book. I've been reviewing old lessons though, I started at level 4 a while ago and now I'm at lesson 5x14. I'm also reviewing level 2 as I add it to my sentence deck. Overall it seems like this is a time for reviewing grammar and not pushing ahead.

About Finnish. Not much to report, only one new song that I looked up. It's called "Hän tanssi kanssa enkeleiden" by Suvi Teräsniska.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 414 of 559
14 April 2013 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
It seems like she recorded some sort of a cover CD of the wonderful band Yö. Both Hän tanssi kanssa enkeleiden and Rakkaus on lumivalkoinen (I got the link on the right) are theirs originally. Check them out! I find the same songs sung by different artists very useful!
let me know if you need any help finding info about her or their albums (levyt).

Edited by Serpent on 14 April 2013 at 3:49pm

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 415 of 559
17 April 2013 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
I think I like the newer version of the song better, it's probably because I heard it first :) And speaking of Finnish, I keep thinking it would be very useful to record a minute or even less of radio talk and try to transcribe it and analyze it. Unfortunately I haven't found time for it so far. At least I learned a new word today - kilpailu. I kept hearing it on the radio and I finally remembered to look it up. (It means 'contest'.)

On Monday, I went to the only Korean restaurant in Riga. As expected, I had no opportunities to practice Korean except for listening to Korean music. I recognized one song that was played but I didn't remember which drama it was from. I looked it up later, it was What should I do from You're Beautiful. So I found the whole OST and I've been listening to the songs, and it makes me want to rewatch the drama. It's been more than half a year since I saw it so I'm sure it would be fun to realize how much more I can understand now.

As for my new grammar book, I'm discovering that I don't have the time (or inclination) to properly study it every day. Doing the Anki reviews and finding new words for Anki takes up a lot of time, and vocabulary is still my priority. So I'm thinking I should assign 1 hour on Saturday and 1 hour on Sunday for intensive studying of the grammar book. I'll try it out this week and see how it goes.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 416 of 559
17 April 2013 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
On Monday, I went to the only Korean restaurant in Riga. As expected, I had no opportunities to practice Korean except for listening to Korean music.

Cool! Did you like the food? Too bad there was no opportunity to practice... I guess I'm really lucky to live in an area with lots of Koreans where restaurant staff sometimes even find it a little difficult to speak German :)

The grammar book you're using sounds good, maybe I should look for something like that. I'd be very bored with a traditional textbook now, but doing grammar exercises would be a very good idea.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version