Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 369 of 559
07 February 2013 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
I don't have much to write about these days, everything's as usual. My daily activity number one is Anki, I just checked that I've been doing 190 reviews a day on average for the last month, about 35 of those have been for Finnish. The Finnish review number seems very small but it's been enough to slowly chip away at my backlog because I'm not adding any new cards. For Korean, I'm adding 6 new cards a day. I'm aware that vocabulary acquisition is the most time-consuming task in any language and I want to learn to understand Korean dramas as soon as possible so I need to learn as many new words as I can. My current Korean note count is 1256.

My other studying activities are as chaotic as ever. Listening or reading the Iyagi lessons, repeating some TTMIK lessons, browsing HaruKorean, listening to the Finnish radio or reading Finnish news. I just do whatever I feel like. Sometimes I'm so tired after work (or have other commitments) that I don't do any of these activities.

Overall I feel like I'm in a good place studying-wise, and it will be even better once I get rid of my Finnish backlog in Anki. Anki seems to be the main indicator of how my studying is going.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 370 of 559
08 February 2013 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
The Android radio app also has a recording capability which is very useful. I had recorded a part of one song and was trying to make out some words in order to find the lyrics on the internet, and I was successful this time. It's Säännöt rakkaudelle. Maybe it's time for me to learn the lyrics to a Finnish song for a change.

HaruKorean has a section on idiomatic Korean expressions and I learned about "bright ears" yesterday (meaning ears that can hear very well). For practice, I wanted to write "I didn't know my friend has good ears" and I was quite stunned when I realized I didn't know how to make such a basic sentence. I wrote something anyway and got these corrections:

제 친구가 귀가 밝은 걸 몰랐어요.
제 친구가 귀가 밝다는 걸 몰랐어요.

At first I was sure I didn't recognize this construction, I was going to ask someone here for help. But I kept thinking about it and it suddenly hit me on the way to work that 걸 was actually 것+을. And when I modified the English sentence to "I didn't know the fact that my friend has good ears" I recognized the use of -는 것. This example illustrates very well how unused to the Korean way of making sentences I still am. No worries though, I'll get better.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 371 of 559
10 February 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
Good news - I've finished the Subways transcript. By "finished" I mean reading and mining the text for new vocabulary, not understanding it completely. Having the English translation certainly helped so I'm going to choose another one from the 31-40 bunch next.

I also watched my first Korean movie, it was "My girlfriend is an agent". I didn't know 강지환 was going to be there so that was a nice surprise. I recognized him right away by his voice.

I also read through the lyrics of my first Finnish song, the same one from the previous post. Added 14 new cards to my Finnish Anki deck. The translation for the lyrics was much harder to find than for Korean songs but I finally managed to hunt it down here. I think learning Finnish songs by heart will be more useful for me than learning Korean songs because Finnish has more grammar I can internalize this way. Of course, Korean has a lot of grammar as well but songs don't help me with it much.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 372 of 559
10 February 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
But I kept thinking about it and it suddenly hit me on the way to work that 걸 was actually 것+을.

Contracted endings can be confusing, especially when they match up to another real word. For example, 걸 is also used as a loan word for "girl" and sometimes in K-pop songs it isn't immediately obvious which one they mean as both could fit the context. Other examples of this are 날 (나를) which can also mean "day" and 전 (저는) which can also mean "ago" or "pancake" (as in 파전, "onion pancake").

Evita wrote:
I also watched my first Korean movie, it was "My girlfriend is an agent". I didn't know 강지환 was going to be there so that was a nice surprise. I recognized him right away by his voice.

I've got that movie, but can never seem to get around to watching it. It looks like it would be an interesting movie.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 373 of 559
10 February 2013 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
For example, 걸 is also used as a loan word for "girl"

In this case I didn't confuse 걸 with a different word, I kept thinking it had something to do with the future tense (because of the ㄹ) and I couldn't figure it out. At first.

Quote:
I've got that movie, but can never seem to get around to watching it. It looks like it would be an interesting movie.

The movie was okay, I guess, it had some funny moments. I found the whole setup pretty unbelievable but that didn't bother me much. The fact that I watched it till the end speaks for itself because it doesn't happen that often. Though there was one thing that made me want to :facepalm: again and again, it was Russian. Almost all the baddies in the movie were supposed to be Russian and they spoke Russian quite a lot. One or two people were pretty good at it but the rest were awful, hilariously awful. I had to laugh at it.

This weekend I started watching a new drama called The Greatest Love. It's not really new, it's from 2011 but you know what I mean. So far it doesn't promise to become one of my favorites, it's a little too over-the-top for my taste but it's nice enough to enjoy at least once. Some of the hilarity is hilarious, some of it makes me cringe. One of the things I enjoy most is how I am already able to recognize several actors and references. The grandpa and the boy wore the tracksuits from Secret Garden! I laughed so much. And I recognized the roommate from SG as well, I was a bit surprised because I didn't think she was that good in SG but maybe that was just her role. I also recognized the woman from Coffee House and Nice Guy but not at first. She was on that dating show and she was playing herself and I didn't recognize her name, I only started thinking she looked familiar when she was about to receive (or not receive) her rose.

That's enough rambling, I think. This week was really busy for me so I haven't been in the mood for much active studying this weekend. I do try to catch some dialogue from dramas whenever I can, I try to listen actively. Today I learned how to say "I don't want to know", for example. If I remember correctly it's 알고 싶지 않아요. So I'm just picking up useful bits here and there. Maybe I'll start reading the SG script soon, I'm thinking it might actually be easier than reading the Iyagi transcripts because people often don't make ideal sentence constructions when they speak. Reading the script even for one episode is such a huge task though, it's hard to convince myself to begin.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 374 of 559
12 February 2013 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Yesterday I listened to TTMIK lesson 6x23 (part 2 of passive voice) and wow, that was such an eye opener. They should have done it much sooner. I kept puzzling over why the verb 되다 didn't have meanings "to be done, to be possible" listed in the dictionary and now I finally get it - it's because it's the passive form of 하다. Now many other expressions involving the verb 되다 make so much more sense. It would have been so useful to know this sooner!

The way Koreans use the passive voice is very interesting. In addition to the same way as English, they also use it to form expressions such as "I can't see it", "I can't do it", "I can't understand it" etc. I was watching The Greatest Love after doing the TTMIK lesson and I noticed at one point the subtitles said "I can't hear it" and indeed the passive voice was used in Korean. I mean really, the passive voice is used so often they should have introduced it in level 3 or 4. It's also quite irregular so it would have been better to start learning which verb takes which form sooner rather than later.

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4755 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 375 of 559
12 February 2013 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
It's also quite irregular so it would have been better to start learning which verb takes which form sooner rather than later.

You'll have to learn them all by heart:) Their forms & meanings are just ireegular, so even a native speaker like myself don't know them all, unless I have seen them before. I think they might be as annoying as English phrasal verbs from time to time.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 376 of 559
14 February 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
So far I've written only 5 sentences for HaruKorean, two of them for the -라고 lesson. All of them were corrected. Every day I keep thinking I should write some more sentences but somehow I don't get around to it often. As I wrote before, I want to really work on my sentences so it takes a bit of time.

I've been doing the same activities as always - listening to TTMIK stuff, reading a bit, watching dramas. I'm in episode 12 (out of 16) of The Greatest Love and it's been a bit disappointing. I didn't like the way the plot developed much and the main actress is not very good, her bad acting often takes me out of the story. It reminds me of Gumiho where the same thing happened. In contrast, something like this never happened to me when I was watching Secret Garden, it was just great all around. I keep listening to the SG OST and rewatching bits and pieces, I still love it. It's my next Coffee Prince.

Speaking of songs, I decided to go with That Woman for the February challenge and started working on the lyrics yesterday. Learned 그대. I think it's funny how none of the TTMIK lessons have mentioned 처럼 so far but both Korean songs I've worked on include this word. It's a particle so it should be mentioned as part of the Korean grammar, right? Hmm.

My Finnish studies these days consist of listening to the radio occasionally, doing the Anki reviews and listening to that song, Rules of Love. I want to learn those lyrics by heart as well.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version