Sweden
Joined 4370 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Croatian

Message 49 of 559
21 May 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Hi!

If you want to have feedback/corrections to your Finnish exercises I recommend posting them here: http://lang-8.com/ . It's really great in my opinion for practising writing.

Suosittelen, että postitat tehtäväsi tarkastettavaksi Lang-8 -sivustolle. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4755 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 50 of 559
21 May 2012 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I also found something in Korean that's exactly the same in Latvian. Yay! But it's just a funny little thing. The sound you say when you knock on a door, 'knock, knock, knock', it's 'tuk, tuk, tuk' in Korean (so says TTMIK) and it's also 'tuk, tuk, tuk' in Latvian.

Actually, it's 똑똑 and not 뚝뚝. The latter is for water dripping. Good luck with your studying.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 51 of 559
21 May 2012 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
If you want to have feedback/corrections to your Finnish exercises I recommend posting them here: http://lang-8.com/ . It's really great in my opinion for practising writing.

Thank you. I know of the site but I have trouble trusting that some strangers will correct everything correctly. I'm sure most of them do but still, as long as there are helpful folks right here I probably won't go there.

Quote:
Actually, it's 똑똑 and not 뚝뚝. The latter is for water dripping.

Drat. We say 'pak, pak, pak' for dripping water. Oh well. *gets over the disappointment* Thank you for the correction anyway.

So tonight I was tired but I still did my Anki reviews and I even added a few words for both languages. I found another strange Latvian - Finnish connection: the word 'sulaa' (to melt) means 'in the juice' in Latvian. (Okay, we spell it 'sulā' but the pronunciation is the same so I'm counting it.)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 52 of 559
21 May 2012 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
You use this diacritic for long vowels then? That's like Latin, awwww.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 53 of 559
24 May 2012 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
I'm chugging along, still doing all my reviews every day but I fear this week won't be very productive. I work in software development so the first week of work is mostly learning about my new project, not really working. And after a full day of that I'm mentally tired and it's hard to concentrate on language studying. That said, I did manage to spend an hour on it yesterday. It should get better next week.

Finnish

I read the dialogs at the end of lesson 6. They are quite useful and I should reread them at least 5 times to solidify the knowledge but I don't know if I will. It's definitely more difficult than listening to the Korean audio lessons. But on the bright side, I practically didn't have to look up any vocabulary because I knew it from Anki. That's such a huge difference from when I studied Finnish four years ago.

Korean

I repeated TTMIK lessons 21 and 22. They were on loop on my Winamp and I was listening to them while lying down and resting. I think I fell asleep for a bit in the middle there, LOL, but that may not be a bad thing - letting my subconscious soak it all up.

Doing the Anki reviews is getting more difficult, I start encountering Korean words I don't recognize. It's probably a good thing, it means I'm learning something new.

I still don't have many reverse cards to do, most of them are delayed (per my Anki settings). I'm dreading the moment most of my reviews will require typing in Korean because it will slow me down a lot and I'll probably mess up the spelling of many words. I'm hoping the end result will be worth it.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 54 of 559
26 May 2012 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
This is a Finnish-only post. This doesn't mean I've neglected my Korean, just that I've got a lot to say about Finnish and I feel it deserves the whole post. I'll write about Korean tomorrow.

I've been evaluating my learning methods and approach to Finnish. Sometimes I read the other learning logs and everyone's studying Assimil or Pimsleur or some other ready-made course, but those are not available for Finnish, and I haven't seen anyone else who would use my method (a textbook + Anki). My main worries about my method are two: I learn single words, not phrases, and I don't have any listening comprehension or speaking practice. I was thinking about this the last few days and trying to decide how to proceed.

Speaking is the most difficult part of this. I can read the dialogs from the book aloud, of course, but I know that spoken Finnish is different from written Finnish and I don't want to focus on such reading if there is no one to correct me. So I figure I will wait until I have sufficient vocabulary to listen to the radio (and understand most of it) and then I'll get used to the spoken language that way. I expect it will improve my speaking skills tremendously.

I still believe that entering single words into Anki is the best approach for me but it does have its drawbacks, the biggest of which is that it's harder to memorize words without a context. Another issue is that words are not used in a vacuum, of course, they must go together with other words, and I'm not learning these relationships among words through Anki. I've been thinking about it and I decided I will rely on reading and listening to fill these gaps. For example, if I have to say "family member" I know both words but I have to think to put the word "family" in the correct case. If I had learned this as a phrase it would be easier. But - as I said, I hope enough exposure to Finnish will take care of that.

So all this thinking lead me to decide that I won't adjust my basic method but it might be a good idea to add something to it. I listened to the Finnish radio for a while today again and I was very happy about what I could understand. Or maybe "understand" is the wrong word here. I didn't recognize too many words but I felt I could often tell where one word ended and the next one started, and this makes me think that I could understand it all if only my vocabulary was bigger. I didn't have those issues that many beginners have when listening to native speaking - that the person is speaking too fast, that your brain can't keep up, or that it doesn't make any sense at all (I'm speaking about my Korean experience so far). I'm very happy about it and I think it has a lot to do with how similar Latvian and Finnish sound. Unless everyone finds listening to Finnish easy, then I guess Latvian doesn't play any special role.

To sum it up, listening to the radio confirmed for me that I'm heading in the right direction. It was very encouraging but I don't plan to make this a regular activity yet because my vocabulary is still to small and listening to the radio is not very useful for now.

By the way, I finally finished lesson 6 from my textbook and I already started on lesson 7. It deals with the Partitive case and numbers. Very useful stuff.

Anki still is my greatest help, I would be nowhere without it. The problem is that I've been doing reviews late at night. The reason for that is that I wanted to add new words before doing the daily reviews, which meant that I had to study first and do reviews later. The solution is to add the new words for the next day on the previous day, and I will try to do that. I changed the daily new cards limit from 10 to 8. It's still a lot if I learn 8 new words every day but I'm going to try it even if the review count goes up to 100 (which I hope it won't). 8 words a day means 240 words a month. I think cramming vocabulary this way will be very useful for me if my brain can handle it. We'll see.

I also have the old Linguaphone Finnish course. I didn't want to start it earlier because it uses all the noun cases from the start and the grammar explanations are pretty thin. But now that I have learned all the main cases I think the Linguaphone texts will prove to be a nice addition as a reading practice and vocabulary source. I also plan to start reading Finnish newspapers little by little and also to use those as a vocabulary source for Anki.

Finally, here are the stats for my Finnish Anki deck in case you are interested:

Card Maturity     
Mature cards: 265 (55,9%)     
Young cards: 205 (43,2%)     
Unseen cards: 4 (0,8%)     
Average interval: 34,2 days     

Correct Answers     
Mature cards: 95,0% (114 of 120)     
Young cards: 86,0% (1791 of 2083)     
First-seen cards: 60,5% (285 of 471)     

Recent Work     
In last week     451 reps/7 days
In last month     1424 reps/30 days
In last 3 months     2584 reps/67 days
In last 6 months     2584 reps/67 days
In last year     2674 reps/75 days
Deck life     2674 reps/75 days

Average Daily Reviews     
In last week     64,4 cards/day
In last month     47,5 cards/day
In last 3 months     28,1 cards/day

Edited by Evita on 26 May 2012 at 7:21pm

Pisces
Bilingual Pentaglot
Finland
Joined 4412 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 55 of 559
26 May 2012 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
The radio is mostly in the "written language" (kirjakieli), except for interviews.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 56 of 559
26 May 2012 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I haven't seen anyone else who would use my method (a textbook + Anki)
I used it for my first 6 months Finnish :) With a program that wasn't even as good as Anki.
There's no Pimsleur but there's Assimil and Teach Yourself. I've used both for shadowing, though I prefer Assimil because the audio is TL-only. I think Assimil can be useful even if you don't speak French - just translate the dialogues on your own, google, ask here if something remains unclear. Fine if you're already following another textbook :)

Also make sure to listen to Finnish music! I can recommend a lot if you want:P

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version