Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 1 of 338
09 August 2012 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Hallo alle sammen!

After so much doubt and hesitation, I've decided to finally resume Norwegian. I count
on the help of wonderful people from this forum. My learning will be much less
textbook-oriented than it is for Georgian, Chinese and even French, which I speak at a
higher level than Norwegian. I want to read a lot, write a lot and keep listening to
the music sung in that language that I have collected.

Norwegian is nothing but the language that made me fall in love with language learning.
After reading Sofies Verden in Portuguese, I decided I should learn some languages in
order to read great books like those in their originals. When I was in high school, I
could even talk to Norwegian exchange students. I started the learning with Colloquial
Norwegian but the book didn't fit me well. It consisted mostly of tourist gadgets like
telling the time, while I need something more text-intensive in order to take advantage
of the similarities with English and German. Then I switched to Hugo's Norwegian In
Three Months and learned a bit more. I dropped it in 2006 when I took a (rather long)
break in learning languages as a whole.

Now I decided to take up Assimil from scratch, even though I'm currently in a rather
upper-beginner level, due to some extra practice in chatroom. Pronunciation is far from
perfect, I have yet to correctly articulate y from u, for example. Since I'm already
studying three languages on a daily basis, Norwegian will be a less comitted time. I
will only study it from Assimil if I have time, provided that I've worked enough on
Georgian that day. It doesn't prevent me from writing daily in Norwegian, which I think
will be more useful anyway.

Så skal vi begynne!

Edited by Expugnator on 26 December 2012 at 6:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4661 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 2 of 338
09 August 2012 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Lykke til med norsklæringen!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 3 of 338
09 August 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Takk Bjorn! Jeg har glemt å spørre min første spørmål:

Are there any intermediate textbooks for Norwegian? I remember now that it's something I still don't have and it was somewhow preventing me from starting the language.

Intermediate textbooks where very useful when I resumed French in the beginning of the year, they drove me into conscious learning.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5127 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 338
10 August 2012 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Hi, happy to hear that you are studying my language, there seems to be quite a lot of interest in it these days.

For resources have a look at this thread, which has a lot of useful suggestions:

Nordic/scandinavian resources
3 persons have voted this message useful

Danac
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5141 days ago

162 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, Serbo-Croatian, French, Russian, Esperanto

Message 5 of 338
10 August 2012 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
I was just googling around a bit, and in Norway (Folkeuniversitetet) they use the
series På Vei (basic?), Stein På Stein (intermediate?) and
Her På Berget (upper intermediate?), although the levels I put next to them are just
guesses based on the courses they were used for.

More googling led to this:
Another Book

Two other books: Norsk Nordmenn og Norge

That's is from me... Held og lykke!

Edited by Danac on 10 August 2012 at 12:43am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 6 of 338
10 August 2012 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Thanks Solfrid Cristin and Danac!

I've already visited that thread, and I noticed I still haven't heard of an intermediate textbook like Living Language Advanced or Colloquial 2 or Teach Yourself Improve Your or Assimil Perfectionnement for Norwegian.

Regarding På Vei and Stein på stein, are the contents available through those sites or only the exercises?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 7 of 338
10 August 2012 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
Question answered, indeed it's just the exercises, but I decided to get Stein på stein anyway. I just wanted to be sure I'd have intermediate exercises as I followed my studies. I have the impression that if I start a language and have no intermediate exercises, I might invariably get stuck so I see little point in continuing only to stop later. Instead, if there are intermediate resources, one usually can proceed to authentic native resources after them, with some help here and there for difficult words and sentences.

I'm still at the introduction of Le norvégien sans peine (this is a book that definitely deserves a Brazilian edition, those guys from Assimil and partners would be surprised how it would sell compared to the five existing languages in Portuguese). Tomorrow I plan to do lesson 1 and maybe proceed if I notice I'm familiar with the vocabulary. I may also give a try on writing, all with the help of online translators for sure, but I think I'll slowly get used.

One question, as I'm not much familiar with that. Should I ask hereany questions that popped up in my studies? I did that with Georgian because it's not a commonly learned language so I supposed other people interested in Georgian would have no trouble following my log, but since there are a lot of people learning Norwegian, am I supposed to concentrate questions at another forum and leave this thread only for reports on my learning progress? I'd like to hear the opinions of more skilled forum users on this, if possible. What about language practice itself? Should I write in Norwegian only at the appropriate Skandinavisk & Nordisk forum?

Depending on the answers for those two questions, I'll have to change the purpose of this thread or either close it and just ask questions as they appear, because I don't have the urge for making daily updates and reviewing every bit of resource with Norwegian as I do with Georgian, so, I'm afraid this wouldn't work much less as a diary.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4621 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 8 of 338
10 August 2012 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Hi Expugnator,

I'm always interested to hear of people studying the Scandinavian languages.

You could try putting your questions here initially. That way you can easily keep track
of where they all are, and the answers to them, and if you aren't going to be updating
very often, at least the questions won't be lost in a "forest" of updates.

And its your log and it's up to you how you use it.

But if you don't seem to be getting responses to questions, you could always ask them
again in the "specific language" area, or "questions about your target language" area.

Enjoy your studies!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version