Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 193 of 338
08 February 2013 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
They are not at the same level. I usually overlook the first lessons (I read them quick actually)and from then on each course follows a path. For example, I no longer read grammar notes that look familiar at Colloquial Norwegian, I just browse through the dialogues. Then the old TY are basically grammar references with translation exercises, so that's killing two birds with one stone. They tend to be more consistent than Assimil's second wave, because they are graded, you get to do enough sentences for getting used to a grammar aspect and for seeing the same word more than just once.

As for Linguaphone, it consists mostly of monolingual texts with a glossary, which I plan to consult less and less often, to see if I'm ready for trying truly monolingual resources. Besides, it goes much further than the previous resources I've tried.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 194 of 338
08 February 2013 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Today I read lesson 4 of COlloquial Norwegian. It has already got a little more difficult! I forgot to bring the CDs and I don't have them digitally. Will make sure to bring them on thursday. (Btw, Carnival starts and I may not study before thursday, when I'm back to work).

Btw, how is the usage of the expression "Blås i det" nowaday? Is it formal, outdated? Would it be used nowadays by people in their late 20's/early 30's?

I still haven't forgotten about the challenges, I just need to leave some room for Anki and for French.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4666 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 195 of 338
08 February 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
It's more like "Just don't give a **** about it."
I don't find it that formal, but it's not that vulgar either. It is a good idea to
understand it at least.

It might be common in other areas, but I more often hear "gi faen" instead, but that
might be because I (normally) live in the rural parts of Trøndelag.

The best way to familiarise yourself with more colloquial expressions in about any
language is to read in and listen to it.

The reason for asking if the textbooks are all in the same level was because I kind of
wondered if going through them would mean a lot of wasted time. Luckily, there haven't
been too many (written) language reforms after the 40's.

Some info about spelling reforms:
http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norske_rettskrivninger#Endringe r_i_bokm.C3.A5l

Edited by stifa on 08 February 2013 at 7:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5127 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 196 of 338
08 February 2013 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
"Blås i det" is quite common in all age groups, and you can also occasionally hear "Gi faen i det", but you
should know that the latter is very rude, and doubly rude coming out of the mouth of a foreigner. You need
to be absolutely fluent in Norwegian, and be among young people with a very casual speech who you knew
very well to pull that off. I would go for "blås i det" or "gi blaffen i det".

I have heard "gi faen i det" used once in a work situation, and that guy lost my respect on the spot. Outside
the framework I already described, it us about as attractive as showing up for work or at a party without
brushing your teeth or with snot on your chin and spinach between your teeth.   

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 08 February 2013 at 8:12pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 197 of 338
13 February 2013 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Today I finished one lesson from Colloquial Norwegian which I had started a few days ago
at some spare time. Lessons are getting a bit difficult. This one was about modals,
always a tricky topic. I may have to stick to doing one lesson a day with Colloquial, so
it will take me the rest of the month to finish this book. Now I realize why I found
Colloquial so hard, it starts too soon to come up with untranslated texts and it covers
grammar in depth at early stages. So, I hope I will have more consistency when I finish
it.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 198 of 338
14 February 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Today I listened to the audio at Colloquial Norwegian for the first time. It was not that easy. Colloquial Norwegian isn't an easy book after all, lots of vocabulary. I'm also getting in contact with different ways of saying usual things. For example, gidder as a mildly polite imperative, 'would you mind':

Gidder du lukke døren? Would you mind shutting the door?

Again, I'd like to know about its usage. Is this imperative normally used among friends? How formal/informal?

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4314 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 199 of 338
14 February 2013 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I'm also getting in contact with different ways of saying usual things. For example, gidder as a mildly polite imperative, 'would you mind':

Gidder du lukke døren? Would you mind shutting the door?

Again, I'd like to know about its usage. Is this imperative normally used among friends? How formal/informal?

I'd like to know that too. I haven't heard it used though.
I associate this verb more with Danish than Norwegian. There, it often means just 'like'. 'Jeg gidder ikke.' = 'I don't want to.'; 'Gidder du komme med?' = 'Would you like to come along?'
2 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6022 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 200 of 338
15 February 2013 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
...it us about as attractive as showing up for work or at a party without
brushing your teeth or with snot on your chin and spinach between your teeth...   

What?!??!?
Is that frowned upon in Norway??

Looks like I'll have to brush up on my hygiene before coming to Norway...the above is the norm here in Oregon!
:-) LOL

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version