Joined 4666 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 297 of 338
19 August 2013 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Retting av italki-introteksten din. :)

"Jeg har begynt å lære norsk i fjor, akkurat ett år siden."
Tror du bør bruke preteritum istedet for perfektum her. Var det dette du prøvde å si:
- I dag er det akkurat ett år siden jeg begynte å lære norsk. ?

"Jeg har brukt mange lærebøker
igjen, og nå driver jeg med min siste lærebok, Her på Berget."
-Jeg har brukt mange lærebøker, og nå driver jeg med min siste (lærebok), [eller :] Her
på Berget.

"(...) og se på TV på norsk."
- og å se på TV.

"Jeg har nettopp leste boken (...)"
Perfektumsformen av "å lese" er "lest".

...ellers ganske bra. Det var sikkert noen andre feil der også, men å rette slikt er
mye vanskeligere enn man ofte tror, særlig når man snakker en dialekt som er svært ulik
"standardnorsk". :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 298 of 338
20 August 2013 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Mange takk =D It's always hard to tell simple past from present perfect no matter the
language.

I've found the songlist to the first season of Dag! At no surprise, most of the non-
English tunes are actually Swedish. I'm still taking my time to get them all, as long as
it is nice music it is welcome.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 299 of 338
27 August 2013 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
I thought I should write something here, even though there's not much now. I sense that
reaching B1 active/B2 passive Norwegian skills is a matter of time, though I have no
idea of how much time. I've got to a point at which I don't get desperate while looking
at a Norwegian text and not recognizing anything. I start to be able to get some
unknown words from context, as well as set out the confusion with prefixes that happens
when someone with a Romance background tries to learn something Germanic (or Slavic or
Georgian to a lesser extent).

As for Appelsinpiken, it really starts to speed up. Today I even felt about taking more
than 5 tracks and some 10 pages. I am far from being able to take as much Norwegian as
French, but it is getting closer.

I can't let go the subtitles from Dag yet. I found some subtitles that aren't synched
properly so I have the chance to hear the audio first before looking at the subtitles
and their translation, so, that's actually good news.

The lessons from the Advanced Audioblog are very neat, good-quality audio, relevant
subjects and an appropriate length. I may keep doing them for a while, which means I
will have to postpone my plans for actively learning German again.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 300 of 338
05 September 2013 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
I finished listening/reading the book Apoelsinpiken!! I think we may call this L/R,
because I had a) text in Norwegian b) matching audio c) translation from Portuguese. It
was SUCH an wonderful experience I will always have in mind. It is one of the biggest
achievements and one of the best experiences language learning brought to me. I like
the auhtor, as I said, and it was one book of his that opened my mind for learning
languages.

I liked Appelsinpiken way better than Kabalmysteriet. I don't think it was just the
fact it had audio. The whole story was more appealing, even though I strongly disagree
on the author that there is no afterlife! =D I'm going to read later Slottet i
Pyreneene which has a debate over a materialist and a spiritualist and I know the
author itself is materialist, yet I believe it will be fun. Unfortunately I only have
the Norwegian book, no audiobook or Portuguese translation. I have to buy the
Portuguese translation but I have no means of getting the audiobook.

That is to say, I'm still not comfortable to read a book in Norwegian without a
translation. I'd have to look up too many words and I'd still be lost without figuring
out the meaning of some idioms and more obscure syntax. I'm aware this number will
diminish after the 3rd or 4th book, as it happened with French. Well, maybe a bit later
than with French because after all French shares some obscure words with Portuguese as
they both come from Latin.

So, my current book is Framtidslandet. I shouldn't have checked its back page and
realize it was translated into Estonian and Sami! Now as I'm reading it I feel guilty
for not having saved it for when I study Estonian or Saami, which are rarer languages.
I mean, i don't have the slightlest idea if I'd be able to get the Estonian and Sami
books, but even so, I feel like saving the book/story for when I need it badly. Still a
collector's mania of saving up language resources and leaving the most common books for
being used only with the most obscure languages. Well, this time I found it a big
exaggerated. I'm going to read Framtidslandet in Norwegian and take the risk of having
to re-read it in either Estonian or Sami (or both). it is for children so I think I can
read a 2, 3 pages-story a day and look up some words in the dictionary. Pity that it
has no audio, I'm going to miss L/R-ing Norwegian for the time being.

It is all right with Dag, it's about to end anyway, season 3 episode 2. Far from being
able to get rid of subtitles, though; but then I need to look up the translation of the
subtitles less and less often.

The Norwegian podcast still accounts for my daily L/R, even though it is short, only 3
paragraphs. It is getting easier, btw.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6702 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 301 of 338
05 September 2013 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Wow, impressive! I'm not familiar with any of the books, but I know the feeling after having read a book in a target language.

WoofCreature
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4319 days ago

80 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 302 of 338
14 September 2013 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
It's really interesting reading about how someone else learns; we're quite different in how we begin a language, but it seems to have worked quite well for you. I have never used a textbook and stick mostly to native materials from the beginning, but I think I might just use one for my next language or even Norwegian.

Earlier in your log you mentioned some sites that you bought ebooks from. Have you found any others? Which sites would you recommend now? I've been trying to find some ebooks in Norwegian but my usual Canadian sites that have turned out to be surprisingly useful for Portuguese have failed with Norwegian and I haven't had much luck when googling for other sites.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 303 of 338
14 September 2013 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
Well I like textbooks as they help me focus on first things first and prevent me from spending too much time
on translations and dictionary look-up in the beginning. As for the e-books, I bought them from Norwegian
digital bookstores: digitalbok.no and ark.no , so it was some practice for me as well.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 304 of 338
27 September 2013 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Like I said at my Russian
log that I use as my main TAC thread
, I seem to have reached a plateau in terms of vocabulary
acquisition in Norwegian. Reading doesn't seem to have improved drastically after my first L/R experience.
I still feel insecure about reading without a translation. My current book, Framtidslandet, has short
stories and some of them have dialectal forms. Besides, there are the idioms and I'm not sure I'm going to
get it all right after translating words on my own. I'm doing much slower than with my previous book, I
acknowledge the fact that a side translation makes it all quicker. Well, I'm a bit impatient. Regarding
listening, I'm still doing the anki with audio, the Norwegian series episode (even though I pay more
attention in reading the subtitles in Norwegian alongside with the GTranslation than at the audio) and the
Norwegian advanced audioblog podcast which almost accounts for L/R. I think it's not that little input,
maybe it's just a matter of keeping working and hoping for the blanks to be filled in the next two months.
I really want to be comfortable with Norwegian as for being able to enjoy what I'm reading the way I'm
doing with French, and maybe I'm not aiming at the type of vocabulary I need the most. Who knows? I might
get to know it at my next novel which I still have to decide upon.

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version