Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
338 messages over 43 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 31 ... 42 43 Next >>
roberto7
Joined 4016 days ago

25 posts - 27 votes
Studies: English

Message 241 of 338
04 May 2013 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
I like all what you are doing to learn languages and especially this amazing Norwegian
log, I want to learn Norwegian "hopefully" someday, so I'll follow your log.

I wish you the best of luck:)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5140 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 242 of 338
06 May 2013 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Hej Expugnator!
It’s so nice to see that you’ve found a method you really enjoy! Reading your log for Russian it is so evident what a struggle using Assimil has become and it’s such a pity that most of the joy has gone from your studying Russian.

But with Norwegian the opposite seems true. Linguaphone sounds really good, and actually you make me curious to find one of their courses for a language I want to learn and have a go with it myself! Who knows, maybe their other courses are as good as your Norwegian one.

Don’t they have a Russian course? It sounds like you might find it much more pleasurable to do than pushing on with Assimil. But of course you’re the best judge of what may work for you, and availability of materials isn’t always a given.

Edited by Emme on 06 May 2013 at 8:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 243 of 338
06 May 2013 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
I believe they do. The thing with Linguaphone is that it came in handy for the current level I am in Norwegian: it may be still too early to move on for a monolingual textbook, but I don't need explanations in English anymore. I want to be able to understand the overall meaning of the text and look up 5-10 words at most. As for my Russian, it will take much longer till I reach this stage, so Linguaphone would be as much killing for Russian as Assimil is now. I do think it will fit your needs for some of your languages, Swedish for example. Remember that stage when you want to come back and fill in the blanks for more detailed words on daily usage objects? That's when Linguaphone comes for.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5140 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 244 of 338
07 May 2013 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
[...] I do think it will fit your needs for some of your languages, Swedish for example. Remember that stage when you want to come back and fill in the blanks for more detailed words on daily usage objects? That's when Linguaphone comes for.

Gosh! Please don’t tempt me with yet another Swedish textbook. You know how hard it is for me to resist!

;-)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 245 of 338
10 May 2013 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Linguaphone is at full speed! I have been doing two lessons a day, but from lesson 43 on, lessons start to take 4 pages instead of 2; the have først del and annen del. But today I could do lessons 43 and 44! That means I read and listened to 8 pages of Norwegian with no burnout! I did look up a few words, but the process wasn't that tiresome.

I want to keep the rythm if possible and finish the lessons next week. Then there's a supplementary booklet at the textbook and it's over.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 246 of 338
13 May 2013 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
I read lesson 45 of Linguaphone on Sunday (no listening and only a few words to look up at the handbook) and today I listened to lessons 46-48 That meant 12 pages of Norwegian audio! I did have to look up quite few Norwegian words, and that is so motivating! I want to finish Linguaphone with the supplements this week, and then start monolingual textbooks. I also need to write more, now that I'm getting more confident about reading.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 247 of 338
14 May 2013 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
I'm done with Linguaphone's lessons =D It is a nice, useful book. I still have 50 (now 42) supplementary paragraphs to read, then I'm going to start one of those textbooks published in Norway.

Here is what I had in mind:

- Ny i Norge
- Norsk for utledinger
- Norsk for utledinger 2
- På vei
- Stein på stein
- Bo i Norge
- Her på Berget

Now that I am flipping through them again, I'm considering Ny i Norge too easy, while, regarding Norsk for utledinger and På vei, half of them is too easy. Well, I'm here for the audio, so I'll try to listen to those tapes all in a hurry while all the vocabulary is still too easy, and only stop and read things when it gets a little more difficult. So, in fact, I'm going to start with En-to-tre and then head for the others. I don't want to spend a long time on simple dialogues, I just want to use them as a way of improving my listening skills.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 248 of 338
14 May 2013 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
So, I started with En-To-Tre before I finished the last texts at Linguaphone. I just listened to the dialogues and so far it's pretty easy. I'm skipping the exercises because they are meant for classroom use. I've listened up to lesson 3.

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version