Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 217 of 338
27 February 2013 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
The final lessons at Colloquial Norwegian have been very demanding, with loads of texts to read without a translation. Grammar topics deal mostly with syntax, though, which I always find easier and more interesting than morphology.

I learned the difference between 'ble + participle' and 'var+participle'. I also learned that Norwegian has no proper interrogative pronoun like 'whose' and you have to use a periphrase instead.

Looking forward to finishing the book this weekend, though.
1 person has voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4461 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 218 of 338
28 February 2013 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Hvem sin? = De quem? (current)
Hvis? = Cujo? (formal and/or obsolete)

http://www.riksmalsforbundet.no/Spr%C3%A5ktjenester/Spr%C3%A 5kspalten/Genitiv-og-eiendomspronomen.aspx?PID=321&M=NewsV2& Action=1&NewsId=409

Edited by Medulin on 28 February 2013 at 6:44pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 219 of 338
01 March 2013 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
I've finished Colloquial Norwegian!! I did two lessons today, in order to finish it in advance and to be able to start another book on Monday. The book just gets more and more interesting by the end, unlike most textbooks. I've had much contact with Norwegian texts and now I even feel I could go for some newspaper articles or short stories. Speaking of which, at the book they recommend the business newspaper Dagens Næringsliv. I lile to read about business sometimes, so maybe I can find interesting articles.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 220 of 338
04 March 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
I've started reading Teach Yourself Norwegian, the 1944 edition. Its chapter on phonology and pronunciation is so comprehensive! It would terrify a beginner, but after going through some books it's been quite interesting to read about the Norwegian pronunciation more in depth. It will serve me as a good reference item when I decide to write my own Norwegian course(s) =D I believe it won't take me much long to finish the book and I expect to learn a lot from the translation exercises, which are among my favorite learning tools.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 221 of 338
11 March 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
It's been a pleasant season with Teach Yourself Norwegian 1944 edition. These old-school textbooks with grammar then translation exercises are the 2nd best resources for me, after Assimil. In the case of Norwegian, whose Assimil I disliked, it's even better. I get a lot of practice of a grammar feature while I consolidate my vocabulary, To think I became able to read French after studying by myself from an ancient TY French adapted to Portuguese, that makes me wonder if I'll have reached basic reading fluency in Norwegian by the end of this book. That gives me the creeps! I'd be really happy if this happened. Fact is, exercises are not that hard, not as much as Assimil's active wave, which means I'm finally going somewhere.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 222 of 338
11 March 2013 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Today I came across the verb "å våge":

"Jeg pleide å spille fiolin en gang, men jeg har glemt det helt nå, og jeg våger ikke å prøve igjen."

Is this still the most natural way to render this sentence nowadays? Is this verb actually used? I'm not sure "tør" would fit in this case.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4432 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 223 of 338
12 March 2013 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
My Norwegian might be a bit "old-fashioned" due to the fact that I have lived abroad for many years, but to me the use of "våger" seems absolutely fine. However, you could also say "tør" in this case, To me, "våge" and "tørre" are synonyms and right now I cannot think of an example where you would use one but not the other.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 224 of 338
18 March 2013 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
I'm still using TY Norwegian 1944 edition. The problem with a grammar book with no strict, numbered chapters is that it's hard for me to keep track of how much I'm studying each day. Sometimes I study 4 pages, sometimes 5, sometimes 3. The exercises are very useful anyway.

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version