Joined 5140 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 265 of 338
14 June 2013 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
[...]

I wonder if I should insert a grammar in between, just for clearing things up? What other Scandilearners who approached a B1 level did at this stage? Reading a grammar of the ones I have is not much difficult and will provide me with good sample sentences.

[...]

I think it depends on your learning preferences and the kind of grammar books you have.

I agree with daegga: big, comprehensive grammars are best left for later, when they may be useful to clear up specific points. But I also find that going through a shorter, well-organised grammar of the kind that is often entitled “learner’s grammar” (with or without exercises) is a fantastic way to systematize all the information you get piecemeal from your various textbooks.

I’m not sure I can claim B1 level in Swedish yet (maybe for my passive skills, but certainly not for my active ones), but I think the book that has helped me the most so far is my Essentials of Swedish Grammar by Åke Viberg, Kerstin Ballardini, and Sune Stjärnlöf. It’s just over 150 pages long, but it’s exceptionally clear and accessible, and it gave me the right amount of information without overwhelming me with too much detail, but covering much more than my textbooks did. It’s by far the best grammar for any foreign language I’ve come across over the years (and I assure you that I have had the chance to study with many of them).

I don’t know if something similar exists for Norwegian, but if it did, I think that reading it would be time well-spent at this point in your studies.

EDIT: typo.

Edited by Emme on 15 June 2013 at 7:26pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 266 of 338
14 June 2013 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
I have the Norwegian equivalent. Well, I think I'm going to start reading one of these grammars on free time, they're not that difficult.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 267 of 338
24 June 2013 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
I'm done with Norsk for utlendinger 2! It's a great book. It covers all of the most important topics about life, culture, history, economic situation in Norway. It's both a language and culture course. I highly recommend it. I started it when I was taking more and more chunks of Norwegian each day, and now I don't have much trouble reading 3 pages in a row with a few visits to the dictionary. That's terrific, B1 is closer than never!

Too bad I don't have access to Norsk for utlendinger 3, not even to check on what it is about.

Now with the schedule:

- På vei (if I notice it's worth it).
- Stein på stein
- Bo i Norge
- Her på Berget

Then I'm done with textbooks. Will leave a slot to another language in my schedule ! (Probably will happen only by the end of the year. There will be holidays in September).

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 268 of 338
25 June 2013 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
So, I've started with På Vei! I'm on my way to finishing the textbook stage for Norwegian! It is a colorful, multimedia, up-to-date textbook (makes my Georgian-learning s(h)elf jealous). I jumped to lesson 8 and did lessons 8 and 9 today. If things go as planned, next week I'm done with it. Yeah, I know there will be a time when I'll have to stick longer to a lesson, as I get to more advanced textbooks. Still, I like the current stage. I can become familarized with the spoken language, yet I have few words to look up at each lesson. I don't think it's a waste of time, I'm rather working on aural and reading skills at once.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5140 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 269 of 338
25 June 2013 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Whow! You do move forward fast! And I say that with much envy and admiration: I’m a snail compared to you.

May I ask you one question? How much of what you encounter in a lesson can you internalize? Do words and expressions stick easily in your memory or do you aim to just learn to (passively) recognize most of them while truly assimilating only the core vocabulary that you keep meeting in text after text?

Whatever the case, hats off to you for your consistency and pace!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 270 of 338
25 June 2013 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
The latter ;) I do try to find a compromise, tho. The more I advance, the easier it is to actually try to internalize nearly everything. I think nowadays I can more or less do that for Norwegian. That is my strategy, after all. When it's too difficult, I avoid forcing my memory too much with nearly every word. I look them all up when they're not translated within the lesson, as is the case in monolingual textbooks, but that's it. I prefer to do reviewing by using one beginner's book after another. That seemed to work for Norwegian, now after 10 months I've finally started to find the monolingual textbooks easy.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5140 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 271 of 338
25 June 2013 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
[...] The more I advance, the easier it is to actually try to internalize nearly everything. I think nowadays I can more or less do that for Norwegian. [...] I prefer to do reviewing by using one beginner's book after another. That seemed to work for Norwegian, now after 10 months I've finally started to find the monolingual textbooks easy.

Yes, it seems to work for Nordic languages: I too find it rather easy to acquire quite a lot of vocabulary almost effortlessly in Swedish. In Russian, though, it’s a totally different story! :-(

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 272 of 338
25 June 2013 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Well, but given the abundance of resources for Russian, I still prefer to take the same approach, and that avoids a lot of headaches. I'm just reading through the lessons from Assimil, after being so disappointed with the first one. I'm starting to get the hang of it only now at the end of the third edition I used. But then there are several other textbooks coming along which I like better.

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version