Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 129 of 338
29 November 2012 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
It's the second day and I've nearly succeeded doing two lessons in a row. If all goes well and I manage to do at least two during the weekend, I plan to finish the book by Friday and start a new one on monday.

Lesson 90 covered specifically the tones. I can hear the tones in a rather distinguishable way, being used to Chinese. I just don't see a way to make them stick to my mind, as to which words go with which tone.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 130 of 338
30 November 2012 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Once again I could finish two lessons in a day. Hurrying up to finish Assimil. I'm trying to use Anki for some practice, thanks to vermillon.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 131 of 338
05 December 2012 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
I was planning on finishing Assimil today, but I had a busy day and could only listen to lesson 99. Anyway, I'll try to finish tomorrow, maybe also the grammatical appendix if there's enough time, I think it won't hurt. i'm eager about starting a new book.Ireally aim at passive fluency now, and I may take a break from textbooks once I'm able to read texts without a big effort (this may take 1 more year or even more, who knows?).

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 132 of 338
06 December 2012 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
When it's over, it's over. I got this book on July 2005, and as I opened it and flipped through its pages for the first time, I realized it wouldn't attain its goal of helping me learn Norwegian in a fun, graded way. It's full of less important words, to the extent that I can't understand their French translations, even though I speak French at a near B2. (I don't have this problem even at more advanced Assimils such as Using French itself). It adds loads and loads of vocabulary without the necessary reprise later, which happens in Le nouveau russe sans peine, for example.

I wouldn't say this is an unrecommended Assimil book, it's just that it presents you with loads of information at once, which goes a bit aside from Assimil's will. This time I thought I was prepared for this book because I was getting used to studying other languages on a daily basis, but believe me, I still wasn't. I bet even monolingual resources such as Her på Bergen and På Vei might present vocabulary on a more reasonable way. What happens at Le Norvégien sans Peine is that they've focused too much on specific words from a Norwegian cultural background BEFORE you could have mastered the universal, world-describing words. It also sounds like a book written for women: too much household vocabulary. And this time I'm not being sexist, I wouldn't want a book specific for men either with everything about car engines or so, just a more neutral one.

I'm not sure if I will be able to open this book again anytime soon and realize things became easier. All I know is that I'll continue my Norwegian studies the very next day, this time from a different source. I have the feeling that even tackling native material, like the ebook I bought, will present me with a much more reasonable amount of vocabulary that this Norvegién Sans Peine did.

Now I'm inclined towards Norwegian in Three Months: it has a layout that suits me well. Then maybe a quick look at Colloquial Norwegian (1 lesson a day), then the 90's TY Norwegian, the 40's/60's TY Norwegian (focusing on Grammar) and I may proceed to monolingual native textbooks like På Vei. Meanwhile, I will try to find a way to make the reading of a few novels fit into my schedule.

Once again I appreciate suggestions for contemporary authors (past 60's).

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 133 of 338
07 December 2012 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
I've just started with Hugo's Norwegian In Three Months. It's far from perfect but I'm glad I took a break from Assimil. Lessons are long with plenty of word lists, but it is still essential vocabulary as I can see from the English translations. Unfortunately, my audio doesn't seem to match the book, it worked only for lesson 1 :/ I have 1998's edition. Anyway, I'm almost sure it is a review. I might have been through the whole of this book a few years ago.Dialogues seem fairly more authentical and coherent than Assimil's.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4666 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 134 of 338
07 December 2012 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Kanskje det er på tide å slutte med lærebøker? Jeg trodde lærebøker var mer beregnet på
de som var nybegynnere...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 135 of 338
10 December 2012 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
Jeg tror at det er ikke enda på tide å slutte med lærebøker. Jeg er ikke akkurat en nybeginner men jeg vet ikke enda å skrive og lese, jeg trenger alltid en ordbok.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4666 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 136 of 338
10 December 2012 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Men behovet for ordbøker er ikke det samme som behovet for lærebøker.

Og hva slags «ubrukelige» ord fant du i Assimil?

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version