Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 281 of 338
18 July 2013 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
I just realized both Stein på Stein and Her på Berget have 14 lessons each, which means this is going to take shorter than expected. Surprisingly, Her på Bergets lessons are shorter in number of pages, even though they seem to have more text cramped up. Then I'll have to start gathering some films, even if I don't manage to get subtitles, because finding series will be harder. And I'm going to keep reading, of course.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 282 of 338
25 July 2013 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
One more monolingual textbook is over: Stein på Stein, the one in the middle of the series that starts with På Vei and ends with Her på Berget. I liked it a lot! Even though there's so much content within each lesson, I could still do one lesson a day, and I noticed my reading speed improved. This is also credited to the fact that, as the texts gets longer, they get more natural. Thus, not only I could benefit from the vocabulary I started to collect from the previous books (the ones that deal with Norway's history, culture, public policies) but I was also presented to texts with more natural word FREQUENCY. That is, it is not like &$$|m|L where you got one lesson with 15 sentences that deal with harvestry and thus all the harvestry-related vocabulary must be uttered within that interval, so that all the necessary words are introduced. That's not the case with Stein på Stein: words just appear in a natural, contextual way. I think this approach benefits my learning process much more than the "word throw up" we see in some beginner's textbooks and (unfortunately) further on in other levels.

Now I have only Her på Berget left. I suspect it may be easier than Stein på Stein, with shorter lessons. Besides, I'm already used to most of the vocabulary I'm likely to bump into at Her på Berget, having do do with life in Norway. I believe Anki and the book I'm reading, Kabalmysteriet, have created a good vocsbulary synergy. I still need more listening, though.

So, after I'm done with Her på Berget, I don't plan on taking another textbook. Maybe I'll just read some grammar, off-schedule. That means I will take Norwegian off from my schedule and do only learning through native materials, like books and films! That will also mean I'm going to have a free slot for another language I need to work on from textbook to post-textbook level, like Spanish, German or Italian.

I must admit my Norwegian is still a bit raw. I'm far from being able to read a novel without a dictionary and follow the plot likewise. I just want to slowly get rid of the translations. Still, I may need some audio. I just had a look at Hjellford. I only found 1 episode with English subtitles out of the 7 ones. I did find Norwgeian and English subtitles which may not sync, meaning: I'll have to look at them at a side window.Well, but then my TV/audio schedule is a bit constrained, as I currently do 40' French, 40' English, 15' Happy Chinese series, 15' Chinesepod101 and 10' Russianpod101. I'd have to decide to stop watching French after I finish the current series and replace it with Norwegian.
Anyway, there are many more films than series, so I'd end up picking Norwegian films one after another. But that's another stage at my learning process.

I'd be glad to have Team Viking fellows' advice on all this =D

Edited by Expugnator on 25 July 2013 at 9:49pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4314 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 283 of 338
30 July 2013 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
I would suggest to start with audiobooks instead of movies for your audio input. The language in movies can be quite hard to understand while in audiobooks everything is pronounced very clearly. If you are scared by the vocabulary, try audiobooks by Erlend Loe: Naiv.Super, Tatt av kvinnen and Kurt blir grusom (the latter is a children's book). Loe is known for his naive style.

How do you like Her på berget?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 284 of 338
30 July 2013 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Audiobooks do seem easy to find. Fact is I find them slow. If I don't have the text,
I'll get annoyed about not understanding enough, and if I do, I'll just read much
faster than the speech.

I may try native media with subtitles, like the series Hellfjord and the movies.

Her på Berget is ok, I repeat what I said: the longer and more detailed the texts get,
the more likely word frequency corresponds to reality. It's not like early textbooks
when they try to teach everything related to one vocabulary field at the same sentence.
So, at some moment it gets easier because you get unknown words just in the natural
frequency they show up. I just find lessons way too long, I mean, there's more
information on each topic than I would find necessary. I'd rather have two lessons half
the length but covering two different subjects, that would make 28 units instead of 14.
I don't find it so much more B2-ish than Stein på Stein, I think the gap between SPS
and HPB is shorter than the one between På Vei and Stein på Stein, even considering
that I used HPB right after SPS and I used several books similar to På Vei before going
for SPS. That is, I only used SPS as a B1 book and still I find it closer to HPB than
to På Vei. I don't think I am a B1, not at all, maybe when I finish Her på Berget I
will be close to a B1, but that is supposed to be a B2 book.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 285 of 338
30 July 2013 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Just did lesson 3 out of 14 at Her på Berget. Wonder what I am going to do next, maybe just stick with native material.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5140 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 286 of 338
30 July 2013 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Expugnator!

Now that I’m back from my holidays, I’m catching up with a couple of weeks’ worth of posts on this forum and I really have to congratulate you on your consistency and zeal. You are an example: I wish I had your alacrity. You’re making such impressive progress with Norwegian that you are already considering working exclusively with native materials. Way to go!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 287 of 338
31 July 2013 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Emme. I just don't know how much of this progress is actually sticking. I did see a noticeable progress from one monolingual textbook to another. My listening is still too poor and my reading skills don't allow me to read without a dictionary and a translator. I think I'm at the level you were in Swedish at the end of last year :)

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4425 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 288 of 338
31 July 2013 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Well, I've been reading your log silently for about 9months and I'm just going to take
the opportunity of Emme congratulating you for doing the same.

To tell you the truth, I think since i've decided to start Norwegian, I've had loads of
times when I thought "I've got no real connection creating itself with this language..
Should I drop it and maybe come back later?" But seeing you so dedicated to it, and
working through all those different textbooks has been impressing me for a while. And
as a result I keep coming back at it and look forward to finishing Assimil in order to
start doing the same as you, working through monolingual textbooks.

Anyway, just Takk og fortsette!

PS: I don't think I've well placed to advise on Norwegian (YET!) but I've heard (and
seen) that Klartale is "rather" easy to understand. However it won't help with
listening indeed. I personally found Dag online with Norwegian subtitles and
appreciated it a lot!

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version