Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 81 of 338
11 September 2012 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Just listened to the text of Lesson 27. The good news is that more and more I can recognize the sounds and words in Norwegian, even though at this stage I don't know their meanings because that's the point of the lessons, to introduce new words. So, a similar phenomenon is happening to Norwegian as it did with German: even though my vocabulary is still limited for grasping the meaning, I can identify quite a few sounds, syllables, words as I listen to a text. I can say I can understand German sounds better than English, because German has less phonemes and because I've been exposed to it more consistently in daily lessons, while I kept skipping my dialogues at English classes. Considering Norwegian has more phonemes than German but less so than English, that's an achievement and I think I'm going to learn quite a bit.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 82 of 338
14 September 2012 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Today's lesson was about sagn, eventyr, troll og nisser. I was planning on reading something more innocent like (modernly revisited) fairy tales, but now I'm curious. The book mentioned Asbjørnsen and Moe. Anyone else? Any open sources online?

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5246 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 83 of 338
14 September 2012 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Today's lesson was about sagn, eventyr, troll og nisser. I was planning on reading something
more innocent like (modernly revisited) fairy tales, but now I'm curious. The book mentioned Asbjørnsen and Moe.
Anyone else? Any open sources online?

Not that I know of, but their folk tale collection should be extensive enough to keep you busy for some time. They
also collected some erotiske folkeeventyr that weren't published until the 1970s because the were deemed
inappropriate.

Edited by tractor on 15 September 2012 at 9:30am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 84 of 338
15 September 2012 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
A friend of mine just reminded me of bokhylla:

Bokhylla

I'd rather browse a catalog than use a search engine when I know nothing to search, but
it looks indeed quite promising!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 85 of 338
18 September 2012 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
I've just finished lesson 35. I learned quite a bit but I'm still coming across words that I don't even know in French yet, so I assume there's a lot more left to be learned. I'm worried about remembering this vocabulary and I wonder if I'll be able to find a textbook with as much comprehensive vocabulary as Assimil so I can review it. I'm afraid that only at monolingual intermediate textbooks I'll be able to find some more extensive, daily vocabulary that I'm seeing at Assimil and which is missing in much tourist-oriented textbooks.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 86 of 338
20 September 2012 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
I almost had to skip today's lesson, but I rearranged my schedule, anticipated one more urgent task, accomplished it quickly and then proceeded to lesson 37 of Assimil. I'm still skeptical about Assimil's ability to make me conversational at a beginner's level in Norwegian as it did with German. Let's see, the more lessons the more anxious I feel, and I wish I would be studying another book as well. I'll see what I can set up next week. Maybe Hugo's Norwegian in three months would right after my daily Assimil lesson wouldn't be bad at all.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 87 of 338
26 September 2012 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
I've finished Assimil's lesson 41 and read the review lesson 42 rightafter. I'm still tempted to taking Hugo's in three months. Assimil dialogues are sometimes too 'direct' and it would be nice to follow a proper conversation that starts with a greeting and ends with a farewell. Still, I think I shouldn't take any more Norwegian right now, because I'm reading so much about the other languages. I should try my best to retain the most out of this Assimil book, though I still believe I'm going to have nice texts when I pick up intermediate monolingual textbooks such as På Vei.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 88 of 338
28 September 2012 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Today's lesson was nice. I listened to the recording previously and I noticed I can identify some sounds even when I don't know what those words actually mean. That's nice to notice but it also means I have to work harder on vocabulary. Being exposed to several different dialects at once does help.

Jeg har ikke prøvd å skrive på norsk i lang tid. Jeg tror faktisk leksjonene er litt kjedelige og jeg ville gjerne lese noen eventyr. Jeg har funnet mange ørd som er ikke slike i tysk eller i engelsk. Når det gjelder lyden, jeg tror alltid at norsk er så et vakkert språk.

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version