Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 145 of 338
26 December 2012 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
So, time to resume reporting (I hadn't stopped studying, just logging).

I'm done with Norwegian in Three Months which, like I said, is the best quick intro,
better than TY Norwegian and Colloquial. Now I want to do the other two before moving
on, mostly because of the audio (I couldn't use audio at Hugo's book).I've chosen to
start with TY Norwegian because in the past I already dabbled in Colloquial Norwegian.
I don't plan to bother that much with grammar explanations at TY because they are
already elementary.

*******TAC ANNOUNCEMENT****************************************

I'll be doing TAC 2013 for Norwegian. I'm at the great Team Viking, together with team
leader Julie and godmother Solfrid Cristin.

I have a very specific goal which is of gaining basic passive/reading fluency in
Norwegian. I really want to be able to read Norwegian novels, starting with
contemporary ones such as these by Jostein Gaarder, but going back to the classics
even, as well as fairy tales. Maybe I'll achieve this goal before the end of the year.
Like I said, reading is the main objective but I will still be doing a lot of listening
and will try to do some writing as well.

Currently I only have 30 minutes a day for studying Norwegian. I've added it as a
fourth language after Chinese, Russian and Georgian. Therefore, I only use one textbook
at once for Norwegian, which limits the skills that can be trained each day. Even so, I
plan to alternate books that focus on conversation and those that will provide me with
a more solid knowledge of grammar. Due to time constraints, I won't have time to attack
native resources, which I would like to be doing by now. I'll try to reach the natvie
textbooks soon, though. So, here's the path I've covered so far.

Le norvégien sans peine
Hugo's Norwegian in three months

Now, the next moves:

- Teach Yourself Norwegian
- Colloquial Norwegian
- Teach Yourself Norwegian 1944 or 1967 edition (I don't mind the spelling, I want to
train grammar and specially translation)
- En, to, tre

Then come the monolingual textbooks. I'd rather skip Linguaphone unless I need
extensive listening by that time. I'd like to pick textbooks published in Norway, I
just don't know which order I should follow regarding levels.

- Ny i Norge
- Norsk for utledinger
- Norsk for utledinger 2
- På vei
- Stein på stein
- Bo i Norge
- Her på Berget

Then I think I'm done with textbooks =D I might insert some grammar in between, like
Norwegian: an essential grammar and Norwegian verbs and essentials of grammar, as well
as the more thorough Norsk Referansegrammatikk.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 146 of 338
27 December 2012 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
My second day of Teach Yourself Norwegian and I must say I like it so far. I'm skipping
exercises and focusing on listening, which has been good because it doesn't seem that
hard by now. I also read cultural notes and take a glance at the grammar aspects, reading
those I'm not so familiar with.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 147 of 338
02 January 2013 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
So, the first day of TAC 2013 is over for me. I studied lesson 4 at Teach Yourself
Norwegian, which came out really nice. I still recommend Hugo's Norwegian in three months
first, as I did. TY Norwegian doesn't have translations for dialogues within the lessons
and this can put beginners really lost.

I'm having intense burnout and Norwegian is my final language in the day after Chinese,
Russian and Georgian. Maybe tomorrow I'll be better and try to write something.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 148 of 338
03 January 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Another day of Teach Yourself Norwegian. I like the dialogues so far, they are
authentic and not hard to understand. I think doing Anki with the vocabulary as well as
the other decks starts to pay off.

I've come across the greeting "Morna". It sounds Nynorsk, I thought it was more
informal, but in the lessons they use it in shops. I like it that there's an exercise
at which you are supposed to translate a paragraph into English, but this paragraph is
rather a summary of the lesson and its three dialogues! Quite wise for remembering
vocabulary.

Nå vil jeg prøve å skrive litt norsk. Jeg har lenge ikke noe skrevet her. Det er sommer
i Brasil, og det er svært varmt! På lørdag skal jeg reise med bil til stranden! Denne
stranden der ligger i hjemstaten min, Bahia. Faktisk er det en liten by ca 20 tusen
innbyggere. Jeg har en onkel som bor der i en nærliggende byen, men jeg vil heller leie
et hus fordi huset hans er overflyt om sommeren høysesong. Jeg er sikkert at det vil
være en hygellig tur! Etterpå reiser vi til hjembyen min. Jeg savner mamma, pappa,
bror, søster og unge nevø så mye!

Jeg vil gjerne skrive mer om hjemstaten min senere. Vi har en merkelig måte for å kalle
mamma og pappa. Hvis du er interessert i brasiliansk portugisisk, vil du finne det
ganske oppsiktsvekkende!

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4432 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 149 of 338
04 January 2013 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
Hi Expugnator, it's been a while since I visited your log. Good to see that you still keep up your Norwegian.

Regarding "Morna", it is not nynorsk, but it is informal. However, it is used a lot in certain parts of Norway, including the Oslo region, and is an alternative to "Ha det".

I've taken the liberty of correcting your text in Norwegian, hope you don't mind. It was very good, no major mistakes.

Nå vil jeg prøve å skrive litt norsk. Jeg har ikke skrevet noe her på lenge. Det er sommer i Brasil, og det er svært varmt! På lørdag skal jeg reise med bil til stranden! Denne stranden ligger i hjemstaten min, Bahia. Faktisk er det en liten by med ca 20 tusen innbyggere. Jeg har en onkel som bor der i en nærliggende by, men jeg vil heller leie et hus fordi huset hans er overfylt om sommeren i høysesongen. Jeg er sikker på at det vil bli en hyggelig tur! Etterpå reiser vi til hjembyen min. Jeg savner mamma, pappa, bror, søster og min unge nevø så mye!

Jeg vil gjerne skrive mer om hjemstaten min senere. Vi har en merkelig måte å si
mamma og pappa på. Hvis du er interessert i brasiliansk portugisisk, vil du finne det
ganske oppsiktsvekkende!

Finally, I am now very curious as to what you call mommy and daddy!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 150 of 338
04 January 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Many thanks for the correction, Ogrim. Nice to see you visited my log again. I plan to
write more often, I think I'm starting to become more confident though I still have to
pay attention to genders and plurals - sometimes I simply overlook them, and this is
unjustified for a speaker of a Romance language.

På den portugisiske språket finnes det diminutive avslutninger - akkurat som på spansk,
italiansk og nederlansk. De kan ha fysiske, hengiven eller nedsettende betydning. Den
vanligste måten å danne diminutiver består i å legge -inho/-inha suffikser til
maskuline /feminine substantiver.

"Mor" på portugisisk heter "mãe",og "far" heter "pai". Begge ender i en vokal, derfor,
for å danne diminutiven må du legge til en ekstra "z": mãezinha/paizinho er standarde
diminutivsskjemæne av "mãe" og "pai".

I dialekten min behandlet folk "mãe" og "pai" som om de var regelmessige diminutiver.
Derfor hadde vi mãe+inha = mãeinha = mainha/ pai + inho = paiinho = painho.Sånn, når
noen fra Bahia vil kalle mamma og pappa, sier de ikke "papai/mamãe eller
paizinho/mãezinha: de sier mainha/painho!

Faktisk sier jeg aldri "painho/mainha" direkte til faren og moren mine. Jeg bruker
"painho" og "mainha" bare når jeg snakker om dem i tredjepersonen. Derfor spør jeg
sisteren min: "Cadê painho?" (= Hvor er pappa?), men sier alltid "Oi, pai", (Hei,
pappa"), til ham istedenfor å si "Oi, painho*".

Det er virkelig komplisert å prøve å forklare det, til og med på et fremmed språk jeg
har nettopp begynt å lære, men jeg får håpe at du vil forstå det. Hvis du ikke forstår
det, jeg vil gjerne gjenta det på engelsk!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5127 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 151 of 338
13 January 2013 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
I think I would recommend that you write smaller, simpler texts when you want to write something in
Norwegian that you would like to have corrected, and that you do not mix other languages into it. I
understand that it feels like killing two birds with one stone, but it makes correcting it a nightmare. Perhaps
there are other braver souls than me out there?

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4432 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 152 of 338
14 January 2013 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
Hi Expugnator, thanks for the explanation about the mother and father words in Brazilian Portuguese and in your dialect. You have made some mistakes, but the meaning is clear to me.

I concur with Cristina, if you want corrections, it is easier if you write short and simpler texts.

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version