Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 89 of 176
27 March 2013 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
@Vos, ¡gracias por el cumplido! Tu español también ha mejorado mucho - creo que tus viajes en
Sudamérica te ayudaron muchísimo. Entiendo lo que dices sobre la tentación de siempre leer libros fáciles;
yo también la siento y lucho por conquistarla, porque sin desafíos no hay avances.

En cuanto a los desafíos, tengo malas noticias. Todavía no he tomado una decisión definitiva, pero es
posible que ya no continúe leyendo Cien Años de Soledad. No es que sea demasiado difícil; al contrario,
me gusta el reto. Pero hoy leí unas diez páginas del segundo capítulo y me ofendí por parte del contento. Sin
embargo, es probable que tenga que leerlo en la universidad, entonces quizás voy a seguir leyéndolo
ahorita. No sé - ¡voy a decidir más tarde!

UPDATE
As I mentioned above, I might not be reading Cien Años de Soledad anymore because I found parts of
Chapter 2 offensive. Although since I will probably have to read it sometime for a Spanish class anyway, I
may go ahead and finish it now. I haven't decided yet.

I also wanted to note that I may not have time to update this log over the weekend, since I'll be at mass and
with my family for Easter. So I may have to do an extra-long update next week. We'll see what happens!

As far as Polish goes, I had a (long) conversation with my former Polish teacher today, and I was pleased
with my speaking skills. We had lots of exciting discussions and I was actually able to express myself without
my tongue getting tied up in knots! :)

Edited by Amerykanka on 27 March 2013 at 9:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 90 of 176
30 March 2013 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
I don't think I'm going to have time to write a full update for this week, so I'll just mention the highlights and
then I'll include the details in next week's update.

1) I talked to my former Polish teacher, as I already noted, and it went very well. I felt relatively comfortable
expressing myself, although my speaking skills still leave a lot to be desired.

2) I listened to another 6 or so chapters of The Hunger Games - roughly half in Spanish and half in
Polish. I definitely understand the Spanish better :(, but my Polish listening comprehension is improving.

3) I finished reading Chapter 2 of Cien Años de Soledad. I have decided to continue reading it, since I'm
sure I'll have to read it sometime soon for a Spanish class anyway. My goal - as I mentioned in one of my
recent posts - is to finish it by the end of May. My current pace is about one chapter per week - I need to
speed things up or I won't be done until mid-August.

4) I have finally caught up on my Latin flashcards and have even consolidated most of them into three decks.
This is a big improvement, since my cards used to be scattered between five different decks. Over the next
few weeks I am hoping to complete the consolidation.

5) This isn't an update so much as a comment: my epic Italian comeback will start a week from Monday
(hopefully). Of course, a new wave of business might hit and I might have to postpone my studies again,
but I hope not.

Happy (early) Easter!

Edited by Amerykanka on 30 March 2013 at 9:20pm

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 91 of 176
06 April 2013 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Okay, here comes my update for the last two weeks. Don't expect much - I was busy and now I am sick (I
can't talk right now and am communicating with everyone in a hoarse whisper). But anyway, I did accomplish
some things and I think it's better to focus on what I did get done that what I didn't. So here goes!

ITALIAN
As I mentioned last week, I hope to return to Italian this Monday. I have removed several very time-
consuming activities from my plate so I might have a little more time this week. We shall see!

LATIN: 5 hours 55 minutes
FLASHCARD REVIEW + ORGANIZATION (3 hours 30 minutes)
Great news - my flashcard consolidation has been completed! I now have just two Latin decks, one for actual
vocabulary and the other for important terms (chiasmus, litotes, etc.). I am very excited about this.

TRANSLATION (55 minutes)
I spent this time translating two (rather long) paragraphs from St. Augustine's Confessions. I know that I
say this every single week, but St. Augustine is SO hard!!!

GRAMMAR REVIEW + STUDY (1 hour 30 minutes)
I spent this time a) studying Unit 31 of Collins and the concepts presented there, and b) discussing grammar
and translations in class.

POLISH: 6 hours 27 minutes
FLASHCARD REVIEW + VOCABULARY ACQUISITION (2 hours 14 minutes)
Nothing much to say here.

LISTENING COMPREHENSION (2 hours 13 minutes)
I think I spent all of this time listening to Igrzyska śmierci.

READING (20 minutes)
If I remember correctly, I finished another chapter of Harry Potter 1. I really need to start reading more.

CONVERSATION (1 hour 40 minutes)
I Skyped with my former Polish teacher and I was very happy with the results, as I mentioned in my last post.

SPANISH: 10 hours 59 minutes
FLASHCARD REVIEW (4 hours 9 minutes)
Nothing much to say.

VOCABULARY ACQUISITION (1 hour 40 minutes)
My Anki deck has now reached 5,168 cards. Yay! :)

LISTENING COMPREHENSION (2 hours 40 minutes)
I listened to the news and to Los Juegos del Hambre.

WRITING (10 minutes)
This was how long it took my to write those posts in Spanish in my log last week.

READING (2 hours 20 minutes)
This was how long it took me to read Chapters 2 and 3 of Cien Años de Soledad. I have read 69 pages
now and I think it is getting slightly easier, although I still have vocabulary lists floating around everywhere! I
must say, there was a REALLY funny part in Chapter 3 where everyone caught some insomnia + memory
loss disease. All the characters went around labeling everything so they wouldn't forget what things were
called - it was hilarious. (Don't worry, they all were cured eventually!)

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 92 of 176
06 April 2013 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention this in my last post, and anyway I think this announcement deserves its own post. Up until
now I have been unable to estimate the amount of words I know in Latin, since I had 4 different Latin
vocabulary decks which included many of the same words. Now that my consolidation is complete, I will start
announcing periodically the number of cards in my vocabulary deck. This is a very accurate representation of
how many words I know.

Latin Flashcard Update: 1,821 cards

This means that I know almost 2,000 words! In addition to words that I "know", I recognize a few hundred
more on sight.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5185 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 93 of 176
08 April 2013 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Amerykanka wrote:
READING (2 hours 20 minutes)
This was how long it took me to read Chapters 2 and 3 of Cien Años de Soledad. I have read 69 pages now and I think it is getting slightly easier, although I still have vocabulary lists floating around everywhere!

I have a spiral notebook that I write vocab in when I'm reading. (Then I put it into Anki later.) Even if you don't want a regular size notebook, you can always get the smaller ones. It's much easier than having lists floating around everywhere. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 94 of 176
08 April 2013 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Great idea - I like it so much that I am now sitting down to copy all my errant lists into my new blue notebook.
:)

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5895 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 95 of 176
08 April 2013 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Hi Amerykanka, it's good to see you have a nice range of activities across your languages.
I have a question: Do you have any links to Polish Audiobooks that I can listen to / download for free? Or ones that are worth buying? I tried to find the Hunger Games in Polish on Youtube but just got endless stuff about how to polish my nails!

Good luck with your Italian campaign (and of course, Polish!)
Pozdrawiam serdecznie.

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 96 of 176
09 April 2013 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
Hi Mooby, well, I have no idea why information on nail polishing came up, but here are a few links.

The Hunger Games, Chapter 1

about an hour of Harry Potter 1

The Fellowship of the Ring, Chapter 1

You can also find quite a few fairy tales just by typing "baśnie" into YouTube, and I know Quo Vadis and
probably lots of other Polish classics are also available on YouTube.

Edit: So far I have just listened to books on YouTube, and I've never bought anything. But I know there is an
app for iPhones called "Audioteka" through which you can buy audiobooks. It's really something I need to
look into eventually, since YouTube can be inconvenient.

Edited by Amerykanka on 09 April 2013 at 12:19am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version