Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5895 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 145 of 176
07 July 2013 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
Czas na czasownik looks worth buying, but first I need to start and finish Iść czy Jechać which I bought last year! Sometimes I buy stuff and it takes ages before I actually use it! But I'm slowly getting through all my material, so nothing has been wasted.

Szatan z siódmej klasy has also been made into a film.
It features in this nostalagic tune Lato, lato, lato czeka

Edited by Mooby on 07 July 2013 at 8:39am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 146 of 176
12 July 2013 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Haha, we're in opposite positions in regards to books! You'll have to let me know what you think of Iść czy
jechać
once you start it. I'll keep you updated on Czas na czasownik. I've enjoyed it so far, but then
I've only completed the first chapter, so I can't really give a reliable recommendation yet. And thanks for the
links!

On another note, I had intended to post an update before leaving for Nicaragua, but at this point I seriously
doubt that's going to be happening. I'm leaving for the airport at 2 AM tomorrow morning (eek!) and I haven't
packed yet or anything, so . . . you get the idea.

¡Hasta luego! Ay, casi se me olvidó - solo me faltan unas noventa páginas para terminar el cuarto Harry
Potter. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 147 of 176
22 July 2013 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm back!!!!!!! :)

The Nicaragua part of the trip was awesome - more details to come - but the airport was a nightmare. We
were supposed to get home Saturday night but we didn't make it back until yesterday at noon. There was bad
weather in Houston, so they diverted us to Austin, and by the time we reached Houston we had missed our
connection. We ended up catching an early morning flight home, and it wasn't even a direct flight, so to make
a long story short, we did a lot of sprinting through airports and begging people to let us pass them in
security. But thankfully, we did manage to get home. I am exhausted even after a good night's sleep, so
I'll give a proper update later this week.

I'll just say one thing: my books arrived from Poland! :)

Well, two things: I had lots of practice speaking Spanish!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 148 of 176
24 July 2013 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Here comes another mini-update. I still don't feel up to the big one.

So . . . I finished Harry Potter y el Cáliz de Fuego last week. To be exact, I finished it at 11:30 pm, two
hours before I had to leave for Nicaragua. In my defense, I couldn't fall asleep anyway, so I figured I might as
well work on my Spanish. Lying in bed knowing you should be asleep is one of the most boring and non-
sleep-inducing activities ever, so the reading actually proved beneficial.

My other piece of news has to do with my welcoming committee. Today I finally plucked up enough courage
to take a look at my Anki decks. I currently have 2,000+ Spanish cards due, 1,500+ Polish cards due, and
1,000+ Latin cards due. Can anyone hear my desperate screams?

If you don't hear from me for a while, it means Anki is winning. ;)

Edited by Amerykanka on 24 July 2013 at 7:04pm

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4649 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 149 of 176
24 July 2013 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Uhm, "Kamienie na szaniec"... Not my favourite one, to be honest. I don't like this enormously patriotic stuff that much. Plus it was a symbolic beginning of sad books at school. Later it was only worse, mostly. On the other hand, I quite liked "Inna". Have you read the first part, "Ten obcy"? Personally, I think I've preffered "Inna" a bit more - maybe because it wasn't my obligatory "lektura" in basic school [you've just learned a new word ;) lektura is a word for a book that you have to read at school or during the studies, but it can be also "ciekawa lektura" - interesting reading and it's not necessary about books, it can be also about, for example, an article in a magazine, especially the longer one].

P.S. It seems that Polish becomes more popular in this forum :)

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 150 of 176
30 July 2013 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Hi prz_! I'm glad to hear that you liked Inna. Yes, I did read Ten obcy and I enjoyed it. That's why I
was so determined to buy Inna! And as far as Kamienie na szaniec is concerned - I like patriotic
books, but this one just failed to pull me in. I'll come back to it some day.

And I agree that Polish seems to be gaining in popularity. It's great to see!

MINI-UPDATE
It's official: I will be starting Ancient Greek in September. I am very excited, and am preparing myself by
reading Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides in translation.

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 151 of 176
01 August 2013 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
I am ready to post a proper update at last.

LATIN
I haven't done much. The last few days I have been making a half-hearted effort to catch up on my Anki
reviews, but no real progress so far. Next week I am going to exert some self-control and force myself to
review vocabulary. I'll also be doing a comprehensive grammar review and a bit of translating. I don't want my
Latin to get rusty over the summer!

POLISH
I am satisfied with my Polish progress. I haven't caught up on my Anki reviews yet, but I am well on my way
to doing so. I have been listening to audiobooks in Polish and I started watching Nad Niemnem on
YouTube. I really like this movie so far and I can't wait to read the book. While I'm on the topic of reading, I
started Harry Potter i Zakon Feniksa on Tuesday and so far I've read a few chapters. My current reading
lineup is Harry Potter, one of my new light fiction books, and then Nad Niemnem.

My Polish goal for this fall - when I will be focusing on Spanish, Latin, and Greek - is to keep up with my
flashcards and make sure I study for at least two one-hour segments per week. This studying can be
anything, as long as it immerses me in the language, but the most likely options are reading, listening,
conversing, and grammar review (Czas na czasownik). This way I will ensure that my Polish remains
fresh. I'm hoping to have a chance to travel to Poland sometime in the next two or three years - this is a good
source of motivation. :)

SPANISH
I am very happy with my Spanish. It isn't anywhere near perfect, but it is definitely functional. When I was in
Nicaragua, I was able to deal with all of the situations that arose. The purpose of the trip was mission work,
so I got a lot of practice asking what exactly we were supposed to be doing with our shovels, axes, and
wheelbarrows. I also chatted with the Nicaraguan workers and staff, bargained with the venders in the market
at Masaya, and navigated my way through the Managua airport. All in all, I was pleased with my Spanish
skills.

I did have some pretty funny translating experiences, though. Once, when I returned from a water break, one
of my fellow missionaries asked me to confirm with the Nicaraguan supervisor what he was supposed to be
doing. The problem was that my friend couldn't explain exactly what he wanted to ask, and I hadn't been
present when he'd been given his instructions, so I wasn't sure what to ask the Nicaraguan. After a very
confusing conversation, I ended up telling the Nicaraguan that I was sorry - I couldn't figure out what my
friend was trying to tell me in English!

I haven't done much Spanish since my return. I am attempting to catch up with my flashcard reviews,
although at this rate it's going to take months. My primary goal for August is to read the sixth Harry Potter . . .
and to finish Cien Años de Soledad. I read 20 pages this morning, so I only have 205 pages left. I really
don't understand why people like this book. I think it's boring at best and sometimes I absolutely hate it.

ITALIAN
Bad news. I am postponing my Italian studies until January. I just can't handle this language right now,
especially since I am going to be adding Greek. But Italian will be back - I'm still going to Italy in 2015, and I
want a year or so to bring my Italian to a decent level.

ANCIENT GREEK
I already mentioned this in my last mini-update, but I am so excited that I am going to mention it again: I am
starting Greek in September!!! I read Agamemnon on Tuesday to celebrate.

FRENCH
Don't worry, I'm not starting French right now. But since I am going to be living in Italy for a few months in
2015, expect to see some French sometime in 2014, probably during the summer. I just have it stuck in my
head that it would be a crime to go to Europe and not know more that a few basic phrases in French.
Especially since I'm sure I'll find a way to visit France.

GERMAN
I feel the same way about German. Also, my last name is very obviously German, so I would feel like an idiot
being in Germany, having a German last name, and (possibly) looking German, if I didn't know how to say
anything. German is one of my heritage languages, so I have wanted to learn it for a long time anyway. A trip
to Europe is the perfect excuse to begin! Once again, this language is most likely to show up in Summer

Edited by Amerykanka on 01 August 2013 at 6:57pm

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5895 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 152 of 176
01 August 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
That's quite a few languages to keep you busy for a few years.....lots more lovely Anki no doubt!
I've added Nad Niemnem to my growing list of films to watch - thanks for link.

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version