Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 137 of 176
29 June 2013 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
I am officially back from my trip. It was fantastic! I now feel much more informed about my own country - I had
never really been out west before, but now I have most of the western states covered. :) Anyway, the
following is my report on the last month.

LATIN: 4 hours 15 minutes
With the exception of a 50-minute translation I completed yesterday, I spent all the rest of this time on
flashcards as planned. Yes, I did finally catch up with my Anki reviews. There were some painful days in
there, but I managed it!

SPANISH: 28 hours 20 minutes
I had already mentioned that I finished La Llamada de los Muertos, and now I am thrilled to be able to
relate that I have finished Harry Potter y el Prisionero de Azkaban as well! That makes 9 books in
Spanish. As soon as I got home I started reading HP4; now I am on page 52.

Other Spanish study included flashcard review, vocabulary acquisition, and listening comprehension.

POLISH: 29 hours 3 minutes
As I mentioned, I finished Harry Potter i Komnata Tajemnic a few weeks ago. Since then I haven't really
done much reading - 10 or so pages of Nowe przygody Mikołajka and a few pages of Kamienie na
szaniec
. I have been writing a lot, however - the little essay I posted here, several emails, a postcard - and
I have spent quite a bit of time reviewing and adding flashcards.

In my opinion, my Polish has improved greatly over the last month. It is a part of my life again,
and so I am going to try to keep doing a little Polish every day, and get in at least a few serious study hours
per week, just so I won't lose more ground. (And hopefully I'll advance a bit, too!)

See the next post for my study plans over the following weeks.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the 500-word essay I had to write in Spanish on immigration (for a school placement
test). It was pretty awesome. :)

Edited by Amerykanka on 29 June 2013 at 5:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 138 of 176
29 June 2013 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Guess what? We have made it through the first half of the year! July is approaching fast (especially in some
other time zones). I am very excited about TAC Part 2. I have already made some cool charts! I will be
keeping a master spreadsheet with all of my study time neatly logged, and I've printed some nifty sheets to
note my study time from day to day.

In addition to my organizational plans, I do have some study plans to share. First, some general
information. I leave for Nicaragua in two weeks, so I am devoting the next two weeks to cramming more
Spanish into my head. I will be focusing mostly on listening comprehension, since I am fully satisfied with my
reading and writing skills (for the purposes of this trip). I don't have a conversation partner, but if I did I would
be talking to him/her a lot. As it is, I suppose I'll have to content myself with an increased number of
soliloquies.

SPANISH PLANS FOR NEXT TWO WEEKS
1. Listen to at least an hour of Spanish per day. Preferably more, if I can manage it.
2. Talk to myself. A lot. I might check out the third level of Pimsleur from the public library in my area - it's way
too easy for me, but at least it will get me speaking. I really need to find a conversation partner. . . .
3. Finish Harry Potter y el cáliz de fuego. Inundating myself with words in Spanish will help, even if they
are written rather than spoken. Plus I am having fun with rereading Harry Potter, so I don't want to stop now.
4. Keep up with my flashcards. Although I'll get behind while I'm in Nicaragua anyway - I'm dreading the
moment when I have to turn my iPad back on after a week (gasp!) without flashcard reviews.
5. Get through all those vocabulary lists floating around after my trip. I'm hoping to spend 20 minutes per day
on this.

That's about it for Spanish. I might read some of Cien años de soledad as well. I really need to finish that
book before September.

POLISH PLANS FOR THE NEXT TWO WEEKS
Well, like I said, Spanish is my priority right now. But I still hope to get some Polish time in.

1. Keep up with my flashcards.
2. Get through all those vocabulary lists floating around after my trip. If I do an hour a day, I hope to have all
the new words entered into my flashcards by the end of next week.
3. Skype with my Polish teacher. I'm hoping to set this up for next week. . . .
4. Read something. I'm not sure what yet. I was planning on Kamienie na szaniec, but I don't really feel
like it. I might continue with Stara baśń - that seems the most likely option at the moment.
5. Order some awesome new books from Poland! I have picked out five and I am looking for a few more.
Shipping is pricey ($22 for a package weighing up to 3 kg), but the books are so much cheaper in Poland that
ordering at least four or five at once makes it worth it. I allowed myself up to $100 to stock up on reading
material, but it looks like I won't need to spend even that much.

LATIN PLANS FOR THE NEXT TWO WEEKS
My Latin plan is very simple. Don't get behind on flashcards! When I get back from Nicaragua I will spend
more time on Latin.

ITALIAN PLANS FOR THE NEXT TWO WEEKS
Nonexistent. I haven't given up on Italian - I'm simply waiting until I get back from Nicaragua. (I don't have
enough flashcards for the prospect of missing another 3 weeks to scare me.)

Edited by Amerykanka on 29 June 2013 at 5:08pm

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5894 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 139 of 176
29 June 2013 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Nice work Amerykanka!
I haven't tried speaking to myself yet, but it seems like a good plan.
Maybe you could interview yourself:
- Ask questions in Spanish
- Reply in Polish
Or maybe that would be too confusing?

Anyway, you're sure getting out and about. Enjoy your next trip (and try to forget about that lovely Anki welcome when you return).
1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 140 of 176
29 June 2013 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Interviewing myself in two languages is a fascinating idea - but I think I probably would get too confused. I'm
already mildly concerned that I'll start speaking Polish by accident when I'm in Nicaragua. But I definitely
recommend talking to yourself as a good study method . . . although you might not want to do it in public. ;)

I will try to forget about my welcoming committee. I've faced worst ones in the past (there was that time when
I was away for three weeks without access to Anki), so I suppose I'll survive. My Spanish deck has over
5,000 flashcards, though - a potential disaster.

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 141 of 176
02 July 2013 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
I don't have much to report - except that I drove my family crazy by watching "Caso Cerrado", which is what
happened to be on one of our Spanish channels. :) I only submitted them to 35 minutes of torture. I'll admit it
wasn't classic TV, but at least it was good listening comprehension practice when all the people started
shouting at once.

The main point of this post is to announce that it is July 1 and the second half of the TAC has begun!!! I am
happy with my performance in the first half of 2013, but I am excited about getting down to work for real now.

Edit: I'm planning on buying two Polish grammar books in addition to some reading material. The books are
Iść czy jechać by Józef Pyzik and Czas na czasownik by Piotr Garncarek. I think they will help me to
address some of my weakest grammar points.

Edit 2: Typo

Edited by Amerykanka on 02 July 2013 at 6:50pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 142 of 176
02 July 2013 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
Hi and welcome back!
For free shipping, try http://www.bookdepository.co.uk :)

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 143 of 176
02 July 2013 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link! I'm sure this site will come in handy. :)

Unfortunately, they don't have Iść czy jechać in stock, so I won't be able to use it for this order. I'm
planning on buying Iść czy jechać from www.abebooks.com,
since they also offer free shipping from England on certain orders. The price is $35, which is pretty good, but
if you have any other suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them! This book must not be in very high demand,
because I've been having trouble finding it.

As for Czas na czasownik, I bought an electronic copy from the publisher for $5/17 zł. Although I haven't
had any luck downloading it yet . . .

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 144 of 176
07 July 2013 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
I finally managed to download my new e-book - customer service was very helpful, although I felt a bit odd
being addressed as "Szanowna Pani" - and it looks great so far. Just what I need to get a handle on Polish
verbs! I think I'm going to wait to buy Iść czy jechać until I've finished Czas na czasownik. I don't
have a particular date in mind for that - I just want to be done by the end of 2013.

I also ordered four lighter books from Nasza Księgarnia.

- Szatan z siódmej klasy by Kornel Makuszyński
- Inna? by Irena Jurgielewiczowa
- Dziura w sercu by Romuald Pawlak
- Sobowtór by Ewa Karwan-Jastrzębska

I hope these books will help me to learn some more colloquial vocabulary. I plan to alternate reading them
with reading classics. Of course, I expect it will take at least a month for them to arrive.

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version