Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 57 of 176
04 February 2013 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link - I might check it out! For the time being I will call them "zaimki przeczące", like you said -
that's probably the more useful term to know.

1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 58 of 176
09 February 2013 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Before I start my update, I should probably issue a warning that this was NOT a good language week. I was
very busy, but since I knew I was going to be busy I paced myself accordingly. Hence I am satisfied with all
that I did manage to get done. :)

ITALIAN
I did mention that I had a busy week, right? ; )

LATIN
5 hours
- 1 hour 25 minutes of flashcard review
- 1 hour 5 minutes of translating a page from St. Anselm's Proslogion
- 1 hour of interesting and informative discussion in class
- 35 minutes of reviewing Unit 25 in Collins and the concepts presented therein
- 55 minutes of grammar, vocabulary, + miscellaneous

I don't have much to say about this week except that I have managed to delete dozens more doubles from
my Anki decks. :)

SPANISH
5 hours 40 minutes
- 1 hour 35 minutes of flashcard review
- 1 hour 45 minutes of listening comprehension
- 25 minutes of grammar review with my Practice Makes Perfect workbook
- 1 hour 45 minutes of reading
- 10 minutes of vocabulary acquisition
Flashcard Count: 4,791 cards
Author of the Week: Gabriel García Márquez (kind of)

I read another short story by Gabriel García Márquez, "La Siesta del Martes". I read it twice; the second time I
added some new words to Anki. My other reading included a few chapters from Las Dos Marías and 10
pages of Manual de la Teología para los Católicos de Hoy, a book I picked up at my local library. This
book is hard to read and the style is very different from that of contemporary teen fiction, so I think it will be a
good learning experience for me. The book is really interesting, too! :)

POLISH
5 hours 10 minutes
- 1 hour 10 minutes of grammar review
- 1 hour of flashcard review
- 20 minutes of word list review
- 15 minutes of transferring information from paper flashcards to Anki
- 55 minutes of listening comprehension
- 1 hour 30 minutes of Skyping with my Polish teacher

I got through a few more chapters of First Year Polish - I don't have the book with me at the moment, so I
can't tell you which ones. I also pulled out one of my old word lists, added some new words, and started
reviewing it again, and I transferred some more paper flashcards to Anki. My review Anki deck is up to 553
cards now - only a few thousand more to go! :)

I am very satisfied with the results of my listening comprehension. I understand almost all of Drużyna
Pierścienia
, and the parts I do not understand are normally due to gaps in my vocabulary, not a simple
failure to catch the words.

I talked to my Polish teacher for the first time in a few months - it was great to talk to her again. :) It was also
great from a language perspective. I asked her lots of questions and wrote down lots of idioms to memorize.
Our conversation was entirely in Polish, and there were only a few things she said that I did not understand. I
can't say I was as pleased with my speaking. I honestly haven't spoken to anyone but myself in Polish since
October, which is strange since I used to speak Polish a few times per week. I suspect my tongue will regain
confidence in Polish rather quickly, especially since I am making an effort to kick up the intensity of my Polish
studies.

Has anyone else noticed that every week my Polish study time gets closer to my Spanish study time? I
wonder when Polish will pass Spanish - it has already passed Latin . :)

GENERAL
I have been examining my language plans for the year. Right now I am putting Polish, Spanish, and Latin at
equal priority, with Polish maybe being a TINY bit more important. This summer Italian will jump up to the first
spot, and from August onward Latin, Ancient Greek, and Spanish will be most prominent. I probably won't
have much time for Polish after August, so I am trying to cram as much studying as possible into the next 7
months.

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6692 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 59 of 176
09 February 2013 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
I posted this on my log but it makes more sense to ask you here: would you like to try an English-Polish Skype language exchange with me sometime? I'm out of practice with my English, and I'm pretty good at helping foreign learners of Polish. Considering that you're focusing on Polish quite a lot these days, maybe you could use a conversation partner besides your teacher.

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 60 of 176
09 February 2013 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
I posted this on my log but it makes more sense to ask you here: would you like to try an 
English-Polish Skype language exchange with me sometime? I'm out of practice with my English, and I'm
pretty good at helping foreign learners of Polish. Considering that you're focusing on Polish quite a lot these
days, maybe you could use a conversation partner besides your teacher.

It would be nice to do a Skype exchange sometime. I definitely could use more practice speaking Polish,
since right now my speaking pretty much stinks. I am trying to improve my Polish a lot before I start college in
the fall, since I won't be able to focus on Polish much there.

I think I could help you with English, too - I don't have much experience with helping foreigners learning
English, but I do know English grammar very well and so I can answer most questions. :)

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6692 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 61 of 176
09 February 2013 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
OK, so now that we have already agreed we could both profit from such an exchange, we'll just have to find a good moment for that :). I've been quite busy recently but I think I can make it, I have a pretty flexible schedule. I'll write you a PM with my e-mail and Skype name (some people reported they couldn't send me a PM so e-mail is probably a better means of communication). And I don't want to spam too much on your log :).

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 62 of 176
16 February 2013 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Update time!

ITALIAN
Please don't ask. I know, not even flashcard review. This week I will make more of an effort! : )

LATIN
5 hours 20 minutes
-  1 hour 30 minutes of flashcard review in Anki
- 55 minutes of vocabulary acquisition
- 40 minutes of translating two paragraphs of St. Anselm's Proslogion
- 30 minutes of grammar study (Unit 26 of Collins and other related things)
- 45 minutes of miscellaneous study
- 1 hour of interesting conversations in class

Not a very inspiring week at all. Hopefully I will do better next week. I need to start translating some ancient
writings! St. Anselm is neat, but his writings belong to a different genre. I want to explore Cicero, Catullus,
etc.

Spanish
7 hours 14 minutes
- 1 hour 49 minutes of reviewing flashcards in Anki
- 1 hour 55 minutes of vocabulary acquisition
- 55 minutes of grammar exercises
- 1 hour 45 minutes of listening comprehension
- 50 minutes of reading
Flashcard Count: 4,837 cards

I didn't have a very productive Spanish week, although I did clock 7+ hours. The fact is that it is so easy to
get Spanish study hours in by listening to the news, doing exercises, etc. that I can have a 7+ hour week
without having done anything particularly challenging. 

One piece of good news is that I am officially done with one of my four exercise books, Practice Makes
Perfect Spanish Pronouns and Prepositions
. In January I decided to stop stalling and finish all the exercise
books so I could move on to something else. I am well on my way now! : )

My reading consisted of a few pages of Las Dos Marías and a few chapters of Manual de la Teología
para los Católicos de Hoy
. I really must intensify my reading schedule next week.

POLISH
4 hours 56 minutes
- 35 minutes of writing
- 1 hour 10 minutes of grammar review
- 56 minutes of flashcard review in Anki
- 35 minutes of transferring vocabulary to Anki
- 1 hour of conversation
- 40 minutes of listening comprehension

Well, Spanish beat Polish again this week, but I still got almost 5 hours of study time in, so I'm making
progress. :) I am halfway through the fifteenth lesson in First Year Polish. I think it is a good (although
fairly easy) review for me.

After talking in Polish this week, I have come to the conclusion that my biggest issue at the moment is
forgetting words that I once knew. Next week I am going to make a big push to get more old vocabulary
added to Anki and to review my word lists. I can't go around forgetting words so basic as "speed" - it's
incredibly embarrassing. : ) I will also work on my intonation, since, as Julie kindly pointed out, I tend to use
American English speech patterns in Polish.

I also want to get going with my reading, but my enormous vocabulary review comes first. I am VERY excited
about it! : )

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4158 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 63 of 176
19 February 2013 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
I don't know if you mentioned this before, but are you focusing on Ecclesiastical Latin, or classical Latin (forgive me if I misused terms)?

I haven't started to really tackle Polish intonation yet...it's pretty different from what I'm used to doing, and I think because I have a music background, I tend to notice if I speak incorrectly and it's quite frustrating!

I give you a lot of credit for getting in that much study time on each of your languages. That takes a great amount of dedication!

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5894 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 64 of 176
19 February 2013 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
Great work Amerykanka!
I'm encouraged by your listening abilities. My problem is lack of real time comprehension -
I know the majority of the words but my brain can't process them fast enough!
I'm trying to relax and NOT translate in my head, but it's slow-going.
What's Drużyna Pierścienia all about?
Have a great week.

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version