Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 121 of 176
01 June 2013 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Time for a long update - and then I am going to outline my plans for June.

ITALIAN: 48 minutes
I didn't get as much Italian done this week as I had planned, but I am okay with that, since I did do a lot of
Polish and Spanish. Basically, I spent 8 minutes reviewing flashcards and then 40 minutes completing
Lesson 9 of Assimil and starting Lesson 10.

LATIN
Zero official study time, which is not good. I need to get going with the flashcards next week. However, I did
spend an hour explaining the formation and comparison of adverbs to the student I just finished tutoring. (He
ended up with an A in Latin, so I must have been doing some things right!)

SPANISH: 7 hours 7 minutes
FLASHCARD REVIEW & VOCABULARY ACQUISITION (2 hours 43 minutes)
I spent 30 minutes looking up new vocabulary, but the rest of the time was spent on flashcard review.
Flashcard Count = 5,354 cards.

LISTENING COMPREHENSION (1 hour 49 minutes)
I listened to the news and to various audiobooks.

READING (2 hours 35 minutes)
First, I have an exciting announcement: I bought a new book! I was wandering around Barnes & Noble when I
came across a copy of Mario Vargas Llosa's El Sueño del Celta. It looks pretty entertaining, and even if
it's not, it will still offer me some much-needed reading practice. So far I have only read 15 pages, because
I've decided to wait until July to read it (see explanation in next post), but I am very pleased with my
purchase.

I read two more chapters of Cien Años de Soledad (a total of 50 pages). I still don't like this book very
much, but I can't deny that it has helped my reading comprehension a lot. I am on page 237 out of 486, so I
am just shy of the halfway point - exciting! :) Anyway, I might read a few more pages next week, but as I will
explain in my next post, I will be postponing reading this book until July.

POLISH: 11 hours 50 minutes
FLASHCARD REVIEW (1 hour 25 minutes)
Enough said.

LISTENING COMPREHENSION (2 hours 25 minutes)
I listened to 5 or 6 chapters of W pustyni i w puszczy on YouTube, which went very well. Then I started
listening to Krew Elfów by Andrzej Sapkowski. So far I have listened to the first chapter twice and to most
of the second chapter once. This is not going too well. I have only a vague idea of what is going on, which is
frustrating, because from what I can tell this is the kind of story I would like. I am not really sure why this
audiobook is posing problems for me - perhaps because there are a lot of odd names and old-fashioned
words. All I know is that there is a legendary wizard and an elf princess destined for him and that everyone (a
bunch of dwarves, elves, and humans with undistinguishable names) is arguing about them and how their
lives turned out. And everyone is also arguing about a common threat from black riders with feathers on their
helms. Hopefully things will make more sense as I go along . . . I may need to buy the book eventually.

WRITING (15 minutes)
I wrote a few sentences on this forum and a few emails to my Polish teacher.

READING (3 hours 55 minutes)
I am now on page 237 of Harry Potter 1, so I have made quite a bit of progress over the last week. I am trying
to finish this book in the next few days, since I will be going on vacation (see details in next post).

VOCABULARY ACQUISITION (3 hours 50 minutes)
This is how long it took me to put all of the new vocabulary I learned from HP into Anki. I made a new rule
while reading - I can only write down two words per page to add to my flashcards later. This is to ensure that I
am not overwhelmed by word lists, since when that happens I generally don't look up ANY of the words. This
way the most important words will be added to Anki first, and I can worry about the names of obscure herbs
later.

EDIT: I will be writing about my plans for June in my next post, which probably won't make its appearance
until later today or tomorrow.

EDIT #2: I added more study time.

Edited by Amerykanka on 01 June 2013 at 11:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 122 of 176
01 June 2013 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
My plan for June is not very complicated, so I might have time to describe it now. Basically, I am going to be
on vacation for three weeks, and due to traveling constraints I won't have much room for language materials.
I will be taking my iPad, so I will continue reviewing my flashcards (in the case of Latin, catching up on all
those scary reviews). But my main goal for June is lots of reading.

Polish Goals
1. Finish Harry Potter i Kamień Filozoficzny.
2. Read Harry Potter i Komnata Tajemnic.
3. Read as much of Nowe przygody Mikołajka as I can. (This book is easy for me to read, which is kind
of the point, since I will be far away from my dictionaries. It will be helpful to read it even if it isn't on par with
some of the other books I've read in Polish.)
4. Keep up with my flashcard reviews at all costs!!!

Spanish Goals
1. Read La Llamada de los Muertos by Laura Gallego García. (I hope it's not about necromancy - I think
it's just a harmless fantasy novel with an overly dramatic title!)
2. Read Harry Potter y el Prisionero de Azkaban.
3. Keep up with my flashcard reviews at all costs!!!

I would take more books with me, but, like I said, there's only so much space, and besides, vacation is family
time. :) In July and August I will be reading Cien Años de Soledad, El Sueño del Celta, and Harry
Potter y el Cáliz de Fuego
in Spanish. My Polish plans for July/August include Harry Potter i Zakon
Feniksa
, Kamienie na szaniec, and Stara baśń.

I plan on updating this log on Wednesday, but don't be surprised if I don't post again after that until the end of
June. I'm not sure what kind of Internet access I will have.

Edited by Amerykanka on 01 June 2013 at 9:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 123 of 176
01 June 2013 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Oh, and I forgot - I finished reading The Great Gatsby. Next up is The Count of Monte Cristo. Since I
doubt my French will be good enough to read Dumas in the original any time soon, I will have to content
myself with the English translation. :)

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5895 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 124 of 176
01 June 2013 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Yes, holidays are a challenge for me too. I hate breaking from study too long, even to go on vacation!
At least you have enough material to keep the momentum going.
Have a great time, and......keep up with your flashcard reviews !!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 125 of 176
01 June 2013 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:
Have a great time, and......keep up with your flashcard reviews !!

Thank you - I will certainly try my hardest!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 126 of 176
03 June 2013 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENT: I finished Harry Potter i Kamień Filozoficzny yesterday after another 2
hours and 10 minutes of reading!!! This is the first book I have finished in Polish in a while (I think since I
reread Quo Vadis last spring), so I am very pleased that I managed to break my cycle of starting-and-yet-
not-finishing books in Polish.

SOMEWHAT LESS EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENT: Today I spent 50 minutes reading 64 pages of Nowe
przygody Mikołajka
. It is a lot easier than Harry Potter, but I can pick up some useful vocabulary and get
more exposure to the language, so I think it's worth it. It's a nice, relaxing book to read on vacation.

NOT-SO-EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENT: I started reading The Count of Monte Cristo.

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 127 of 176
08 June 2013 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
Well, I didn't end up having time to post an update on Wednesday. And since I am totally exhausted today
after my second day of traveling in a row, I'll probably just wait until the end of June to post again.

So . . . goodbye for now! :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 128 of 176
08 June 2013 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
enjoy your trip!!!!

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version