Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 129 of 176
11 June 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
@Serpent, thanks - I have enjoyed it so far! :)

My vacation has been wonderful, but in regard to my languages I am very frustrated. I feel like I'm trying to
hike down and then back up the Grand Canyon in the same day (can you guess where I just spent part of my
vacation?). This is physically possible for some, even though it's not recommendable, but it is definitely NOT
possible for me.

The point of this hiking analogy is that I feel like I am making zero progress in my languages. The important
word here is feel, since I know that I am making progress and that if I stick to it I will be happy with the
results. It just seems like every single European I meet (and I've been running into a lot of them, since I've
been visiting typical US tourist sites) speaks English better than I speak Spanish or Polish. I know that
hearing them speaking a few sentences isn't really enough to gauge their level, and that they probably
struggle a lot too, but it is still hard to avoid feeling discouraged.

However, I am determined to stop feeling discouraged and to continue the battle for fluency. After all,
Rome wasn't built in a day. Nie od razu Kraków zbudowano. No se ganó Zamora en una hora. (Whichever
version of the proverb you prefer!)

A teraz troszeczkę po polsku . . .

Skoro już mowa o przysłowiach, chcę Wam wspomniać, że moje najulubieńsze polskie przysłowie to takie:
"Jeśli wejdziesz między wrony, musisz krakać jak i one." Posługując się językiem angielskim można
oczywiście powiedzieć "When in Rome, do as the Romans do", ale na pewno zgadzacie się, że polska
wersja jest o wiele fajniejsza. :) Moim zdaniem, uczenie się takich wyrażeń jest bardzo interesującą częścią
zapoznania się z językiem obcym.

Przeskoczę z powrotem do angielskiego, ale jeszcze chciałam prosić o poprawki - wszystkie są bardzo mile
widziane. Jeśli - a to graniczy z cudem - nie wkradły się żadne błędy, proszę też daj mi znać, żebym była
pewna o jakości mojego tekściku.

I have been doing well in keeping up with my Polish and Spanish flashcards while on vacation and so far I
have read 100 pages in Polish and 56 in Spanish. I just need to keep reminding myself that I am, in fact,
making progress!

Edited by Amerykanka on 11 June 2013 at 11:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4242 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 130 of 176
12 June 2013 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Amerykanka wrote:
EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENT: I finished Harry Potter i Kamień
Filozoficzny
yesterday after another 2
hours and 10 minutes of reading!!! This is the first book I have finished in Polish in
a while (I think since I
reread Quo Vadis last spring), so I am very pleased that I managed to break my
cycle of starting-and-yet-
not-finishing books in Polish.

Congrats!

Now that you mention it, I think I might be in a similar cycle in Croatian. I managed
to finish Twilight, but that was a parallel text. Otherwise I stopped after
reading the first chapter of Percy Jackson and now I've been taking a break from
New Moon for more than 2 weeks after reading less than 150 pages :(

Slavic languages [SIGH], they really require a lot of determination.
1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 131 of 176
14 June 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Yes, they sure do!!! It amazes me how easy Spanish is for me in comparison with Polish. But now that I
have broken the cycle of not finishing books in Polish, I've noticed that it is much easier to motivate
myself to read. Isn't it funny that I spent so much time procrastinating and dreading reading in Polish, and
then when I actually started doing it again, it was't so bad? It is actually fun! :)

READING UPDATE
Harry Potter i Komnata Tajemnic: 186 pages read
La Llamada de los Muertos: 111 pages read

I have been spending a lot of time in the car and without Internet access on my vacation, so I've been reading
more and - rather surprisingly - writing more. So be on the look out for a short (informal) essay in Polish on
reading Harry Potter, and also a review in Spanish of La Llamada de los Muertos. I have one small
Polish dictionary with me (which I have been trying not to use), but the review in Spanish might be pretty
funny, since I don't have access to any of my Spanish dictionaries or grammar books. ;)

Edited by Amerykanka on 14 June 2013 at 6:21pm

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 132 of 176
15 June 2013 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Well, yesterday I read another 70 pages of Harry Potter 2 in Polish - I only have 94 pages left. If all goes as
planned, I'll finish it tomorrow or the day after.

I also read 2 pages of La Llamada de los Muertos. Impressive, I know. :) This book is much easier to
read, so I wanted to get a head start on Harry Potter 2. That way I'll finish Harry Potter 2 and La Llamada
de los Muertos
at about the same time and then I'll be able to start Harry Potter 3 in Spanish.

Oh, and by the way: I am still keeping up with my Polish and Spanish flashcard reviews! I do need to get
going on my Latin and Italian cards, though.

Edited by Amerykanka on 15 June 2013 at 2:53pm

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 133 of 176
19 June 2013 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
I've been without Internet access for the past few days, and I only have a few minutes now, so I'll make this
quick! I will be posting those essays I promised when I have better Internet access. (Honestly, I'm not sure if
I'll even be able to post this message, since I'm currently vacationing in rural Wyoming.)

But let's get down to business. Guess what? I finished reading Harry Potter i Komnata Tajemnic AND
La Llamada de los Muertos!!! That is my ninth book in Polish and my eighth in Spanish. :) I am now 86
pages into Harry Potter y el Prisionero de Azkaban. Switching from reading Harry Potter in Polish to
reading Harry Potter in Spanish has been very strange - I keep on expecting to see Polish expressions in the
Spanish version.

One last thing . . . I just thought of switching my iPad into different languages, so I'm like a kid in a candy
shop. I can't believe this never occurred to me before. I switch the keyboard between languages all the time,
but I'd never changed the whole operating system before today. Currently it is on Polish and I'm thrilled!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 134 of 176
20 June 2013 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
Wow, the post went through yesterday! My Internet disconnected, so I didn't think that it had.

Anyway, I don't have much to say except that I am still keeping up with my flashcards and that hopefully I'll
post my Polish essay tonight!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 135 of 176
21 June 2013 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
Here is my essay in Polish . . . while reading, please remember that it is an informal essay. :) And, as
always, I am very thankful for any and all corrections!

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------ --

Czytanie serii Harry Potter po polsku oddziałuje pozytywnie na moje umiejętności czytelne i ogólną wiedzę
języka polskiego, ale też okazuje się bardzo interesujące.

Od dzieciństwa jestem wielbicielką tej serii; w mojej rodzinie mamy tradycję polegającą na tym, że mój tata
czyta wszystkie te książki na głos każdemu z nas dzieci. Kiedy miałam około jedenastu lat, mój tata
przedstawił mi tę serię i zainaugurowano ten zwyczaj. Każdym wieczorem czytał mi z jeden rozdział, czy
dwa. Cały dzień wyczekiwałam niecierpliwie następnego odcinka i gorliwie czytałam już przeczytane części
raz, dwa razy, trzy razy . . . . Wskutek tego zapoznałam się z tą serią do wyższego stopnia niż spodziewa się
od przeciętnego kilkunastoletniego. Prawda, że przez ostatnie lata odzwyczaiłam się od czytania o Harrym
Potterze, ale łatwo mi pogrążyć z powrotem w świecie czarodziejów. Do tej pory przerzucam te książki i
często mogę zapowiedzieć, z jakimi wydarzeniami i z jakim dialogem spotkam się na następnej stronie.

Tym razem nie ma wyjątku w tym względzie - nie zaskakuje mnie to co czytam. Tym razem, jednak, to język
polski, a nie angielski, dostarcza dostęp do tego świata, co sprawdza, że moje doświadczenie jest trochę
inne. Bez mowy o oczywistych różnicach, czytając o przygodach Harry'ego Pottera po polsku często natykam
się na jakieś wyrażenie i sobie myślę, "Hmm, to dziwnie wygląda, jak brzmiałoby to po angielsku?" Angielski
odpowiednik przychodzi mi do głowy natychmiast, gdyż angielska wersja jest tak dobrze mi znana. Czasami
wydaje mi się, że czytam we dwóch językach w tym samym czasie. Ten zwyczaj automatycznego
tłumaczenienia zwykle objawia się, kiedy chodzi o kolokwialną mowę czy coś w tym rodzaju. Uważam to
zjawisko za bardzo dziwne, ale też jestem zdania, że skoro się zdarzy może zostać dobrym narzędziem.

Kolokwialnych wyrażeń trzeba po prostu nauczyć się i zapamiętać. Ze względu na moje przeszłe
doświadczenia z serią Harry Potter, nie muszę zajrzeć do słownika, żeby rozszyfrować każde nieznane mi
sformułowanie. Zamiast tego, myślę o znaczeniu i użyciu angielskiego odpowiednika i próbuję kojarzyć te
same pojęcia z polskim wyrażeniem.

Podsumowując, czytanie Harry'ego Pottera po polsku okazuje się zarówno dziwne jak i wychowawcze. Mam
nadzieję, że udało mi się wyjaśnić, jak czuję się czytająca polską wersję tej serii.

Edited by Amerykanka on 21 June 2013 at 5:10am

1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 136 of 176
23 June 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
I'm almost done with Harry Potter y el Prisionero de Azkaban - I only have about 25 pages left. :) Now I wish I'd brought the fourth Harry Potter book with me as well. I didn't think I would get around to reading it, but obviously I was wrong.

Oh, well. More time for Polish!

Edit: I have begun the long and painful process of catching up on my Latin reviews. I'm currently over 1,000 cards behind. It is truly terrifying! ;)

Edited by Amerykanka on 23 June 2013 at 7:21pm

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version