176 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 21 22 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 97 of 176
09 April 2013 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
lol nail polish! try polski instead of polish :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 98 of 176
09 April 2013 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
Okay, now I feel stupid for not having seen the connection between "Polish" and "polish" - I think of them as
two entirely separate things, so it just didn't register why searching Polish audio books would bring up videos
on nail polishing. :) It seems so obvious to me that "Polish" would refer to a language . . .

Anyway, I have spent the last 20 minutes or so writing my Spanish vocabulary in my new notebook, and now
I'm terrified. I'm already at 114 words/phrases and I still have some very scary looking lists left!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 99 of 176
09 April 2013 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
When I started reading for the Super Challenge, I would write words all the way down the page, in three columns. It always seems like there are more new words when you start reading a new book. :)

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 100 of 176
13 April 2013 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
I've been really busy this week, and although I did do a bit of studying, it wasn't anything interesting. So I'm
going to spare everyone the pain of reading a boring post about flashcard review and grammar exercises.
Next Friday I'll just include this week's updates with next week's.

It's funny . . . I thought I would have a lot of extra time this week, but Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday were
jam-packed. All dreams about Italian went right out the window. I might have to wait until May for my Italian
comeback. The problem is that I'm not THAT motivated to study Italian right now - I'd rather spend the time
on Spanish, Polish, or even Latin. I suppose once I learn more Italian I will be more enthusiastic about
deepening my knowledge. Italian is very pretty! :)

Kerrie wrote:
When I started reading for the Super Challenge, I would write words all the way down the
page, in three columns. It always seems like there are more new words when you start reading a new book. :)

I agree about there being more new words when you start reading a new book (or at least, a book by a new
author). Each author has his own characteristic vocabulary and so once you've looked up all his
most frequently used words, the amount of new vocabulary decreases drastically. :)

Edited by Amerykanka on 13 April 2013 at 8:12pm

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 101 of 176
19 April 2013 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Exciting news: I finished reading my seventh book in Spanish - La Maldición del Maestro by Laura
Gallego García. Yay!!! :) And I'm now 113 pages into Cien Años de Soledad. It's definitely getting easier
to understand.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 102 of 176
20 April 2013 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Okay, now it is time to give my update for the last two weeks. I'm kind of scared to see how little I achieved,
but my studies picked up toward the end of this week so I expect better of next week. In the mean time, I
comfort myself with thinking of all the non-language-related important things I got done. :)

ITALIAN: 0 hours

POLISH: 1 hour 57 minutes
Basically, I did a lot of listening comprehension (because I can get that done when I'm exercising even if my
week is packed), some flashcards, and a teeny-tiny bit of reading.

LATIN: 9 hours 45 minutes
FLASHCARD REVIEW (2 hours 28 minutes)
Enough said. I am SO glad that I've consolidated all my vocabulary cards into a single deck - it makes them
much easier to review

Flashcard Count: 1,895 cards

GRAMMAR STUDY & REVIEW (3 hours 42 minutes)
I studied the concepts in Units 32 and 33 of Collins. I am almost done with that book! I reviewed indefinite
pronouns and made myself a neat little list, since I've been drowning in a sea of quisquis's,
quisquam's, and quispiam's. Now I at least have a quick solution every time I get confused in the
future!

I also studied middle voice a bit (not terribly helpful for Latin, but the knowledge I acquired should be useful
when I start Ancient Greek this September) and the ablative of attendant circumstances and just the three
main kinds of ablative in general. Some day when I have some extra time I want to sit down and read E. C.
Woodcock's A New Latin Grammar all the way through. So far I've only read bits and pieces and it is
fascinating!

TRANSLATION (3 hours 35 minutes)
I spent 2.5 hours translating several long paragraphs of St. Augustine's Confessions. It is getting a little
easier, but I still think his writings are the hardest I've ever had to translate. I must say, though, it is fun
reading parts of them out loud!

I also spent just over an hour translating a few paragraphs of Cicero from the Locī Immūtātī section at
the back of Wheelock's. I had so much fun reading them out loud and trying to understand the complex word
order WITHOUT rearranging it in my head. Why were the Romans so fond of interlocked word order?
Actually, I think interlocked word order is pretty awesome; you just really need to know your case endings or
you'll get totally lost. Fortunately I've had almost all of the case endings memorized since age 9. :)
(Unfortunately, I still get lost frequently.)

SPANISH: 12 hours 3 minutes
FLASHCARD REVIEW & VOCABULARY ACQUISITION (4 hours 30 minutes)
Most of this time was spent reviewing flashcards, but I did add some new vocabulary to my deck. The current
flashcard count is 5,187 cards. I need to add a few hundred new words, though - my poor little blue vocab
book is flooded with words.

READING (4 hours 25 minutes)
I spent a few hours finishing La Maldición del Maestro (yay!) and the rest of the time reading two more
chapters of Cien Años de Soledad. I'm currently on page 130.

GRAMMAR REVIEW (20 minutes)
To be honest, I can't remember what I was reviewing. Something with irregular verbs, I think. It wasn't very
hard.

LISTENING COMPREHENSION (2 hours 48 minutes)
I listened to a few chapters of Los Juegos del Hambre last week, but then I decided that I'd had enough
and so I switched to The Hobbit. I also listened to Canal 15 quite a bit, and then when I found an
awesome new app (see details below) I started listening to various stations such as Radio Católica Mundial.

OTHER
On another part of this forum, I found out about an awesome (free) app for iPad, iPhone, and iPod called
TuneIn. As long as you're connected to the Internet, you can listen to radio stations in pretty much any
language you can think of!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 103 of 176
23 April 2013 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Since I have a free moment, I thought I would mention what has been going on with my goal of reading
classics in English. Over the last few months I have reread Emma by Jane Austen and The Scarlet
Pimpernel
by Baroness Orczy, and I also read Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis. However, I am
supposed to be reading Vanity Fair. So over the last few days, I made an effort to continue this book
- I read 136 more pages and passed the halfway point!!! Only 323 pages to go!

I like it much better now that I am further into it. However, I must say that I don't like Becky Sharp/Rebecca
Crawley at all, in spite of the fact that she shares my name. :)

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 104 of 176
27 April 2013 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Update time! I had a decent week, in spite of the fact that the doctor told me that I hurt my wrists through
overuse. Now I have to change my finger motions when doing flashcards in Anki and be careful with typing in
general.

ITALIAN: 21 minutes
I studied Italian this week for the first time in over a month. I reviewed my flashcards and lessons 1-4 of
Assimil. It's a start!

POLISH: 2 hours 51 minutes
FLASHCARD REVIEW & VOCABULARY ACQUISITION (1 hour 21 minutes)
Not much to say.

LISTENING COMPREHENSION (30 minutes)
I listened to a Polish radio station and to another chapter of Drużyna pierścienia.

CONVERSATION (1 hour)
I talked to my former Polish teacher. It was a pretty good conversation and it motivated me to get going with
my studies. Since (I think) I will be less busy next week, expect a good Polish update next weekend!

LATIN: 3 hours 52 minutes
FLASHCARD REVIEW (1 hour 27 minutes)

GRAMMAR STUDY & REVIEW (55 minutes)
I completed Unit 34 of Collins. Only one more unit to go!

TRANSLATION (30 minutes)
I translated another paragraph of St. Augustine. I was planning on doing some Cicero, too, but I ran out of
time.

OTHER (1 hour)
This hour consisted of conversation in class.

SPANISH: 6 hours 15 minutes
FLASHCARD REVIEW & VOCABULARY ACQUISITION (3 hours 15 minutes)
My flashcard count is now 5,238 cards.

LISTENING COMPREHENSION (1 hour 30 minutes)
I listened to some radio stations - it was fun! :)

READING (1 hour 30 minutes)
I spent most of this time reading Cien Años de Soledad - I am now on page 159. I made myself a family
tree of all the characters, because I was beginning to get really confused! I also read a few pages of the
sequel to La Maldición del Maestro.

ENGLISH
I am now on page 450 of Vanity Fair!

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version