Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5895 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 113 of 176
21 May 2013 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
Exciting times ahead! It sounds like you're getting your Polish materials organised. I've just ordered 3 more books of fiction and I must restrain myself from dipping into them all simultaneously, but not finishing any of them. I might even buy a copy of Stara Baśń myself!

I have too many weaknesses in grammar to list. I can't take in grammar, however simple, in one bite. I need to repeatedly nibble at it over time. Otherwise I get grammar indigestion and need to lie down! Rather than saying "Right, this time I'm going to sort it out once and for all", I just study an aspect of grammar as it comes along in a coursebook, then examine it until my comprehension reaches the point where to keep looking at it becomes fruitless. When I move on to another coursebook, I'll meet the grammar again but in a different context and with more familiarisation. When I actually see or hear the grammar in use, my comprehension is nearly complete, but not quite...the test comes when I try to produce it in speech or writing. Slowly the penny is dropping.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 114 of 176
21 May 2013 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:
Otherwise I get grammar indigestion and need to lie down!
Nice way to word it!!!
1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 115 of 176
23 May 2013 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
@Mooby, right now I am mostly trying to review grammar that I have already learned and forgotten, or that I
never learned properly. Nothing very big - just little details. They will take a little while to sink in, of course, but
hopefully I can make some progress.

ANNOUNCEMENTS
1. This is my 500th post on this forum - wow!
2. I think my plan is working. I studied Polish today and yesterday, and today I finally did the fifth lesson in
Assimil Italian.
3. I have been infected by the Italian Bug. Today I was looking up the vocabulary from Assimil, and thinking
to myself that I would rather be doing something else, when suddenly I caught sight of an interesting-looking
Italian sentence in my dictionary. I couldn't figure out the grammar behind it . . . so instantly I thought, "Wow,
it would be really cool to know that much Italian!" And the rest, as they say, is history.
4. I finished Agnes Grey. Now I am reading The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. This isn't a classic, of
course, and it has a little too much swearing for my taste, but I decided to read it because it makes for a good
topic of conversation. Read the sample conversation below to see why.

Setting: I am talking with an average stranger who was educated in the American public school system.

Me: Do you like to read?
Stranger: Yes.
Me: Great, I do too. So what books do you like?
Stranger: Well, I like The Book Thief/To Kill A Mockingbird/The Great Gatsby. I read it for
school.
Me: Oh. I had different books on my reading list. But I like classics. Have you read anything by
Tolkien/Dickens/Tolstoy/Austen/Brontë/Shakespeare?
Stranger: No./Yes, but I didn't like it. The Book Thief/To Kill A Mockingbird/The Great Gatsby is
really good. You should definitely read it!
Me (wondering why I haven't read it yet): Thanks for the recommendation.

I have this conversation a lot. All students seem to emerge from public schools with these three books
behind them. So I've decided to read these three books as soon as possible, so that I will be able to talk
about them with people. (And maybe I will enjoy the books in the process!)

Edited by Amerykanka on 23 May 2013 at 3:19am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 116 of 176
26 May 2013 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
Update time! :)

ENGLISH
I finished The Book Thief the day before yesterday, so now I'm tackling The Great Gatsby. So far
I've only read one chapter - I got distracted by rereading some easier material (old favorites). It's wonderful
when I have extra free time - I get so much more reading done!

LATIN: 55 minutes
I spent 55 minutes on flashcard review. Next Monday I need to continue with my word list.

SPANISH: 3 hours 50 minutes
FLASHCARD REVIEW (1 hour 40 minutes)
Nothing much to report.

READING (1 hour)
I read "Chac Mool" by Carlos Fuentes, as well as a brief biography of that author. It was an interesting - and
creepy - story.

LISTENING COMPREHENSION (1 hour 10 minutes)
I listened to a really long chapter of Harry Potter 1, a few BBC news videos, and part of a documentary on the
history of Jews in Poland.

POLISH: 3 hours 33 minutes
FLASHCARD REVIEW & VOCABULARY ACQUISITION (1 hour 41 minutes)
This time was evenly divided.

LISTENING COMPREHENSION (27 minutes)
More LOTR.

READING (1 hour 25 minutes)
I read a chapter and a half of Harry Potter 1. I'm on page 110 now.

ITALIAN: 1 hour 35 minutes
FLASHCARD REVIEW (14 minutes)
Italian flashcards are more fun now, since I finally have some variety.

ASSIMIL (1 hour 21 minutes)
I completed Lessons 5 - 8, so I feel a little more competent.

Edited by Amerykanka on 26 May 2013 at 5:19am

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 117 of 176
26 May 2013 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
If any of you fell asleep while reading my previous post, I don't blame you. It was pretty boring. That's why I
am devoting another and hopefully more interesting post to my Italian studies.

MY Italian ADVENTURES
First of all, I haven't been extremely adventuresome, mostly because my conversational Italian consists of the
following: "Mi chiamo Rebecca. Come si chiama Lei?", "Benvenuto a casa mia! Accomodati!", and "Il treno è
in orario?" But I have been having fun. My Assimil lessons have gotten more interesting and more relevant
(one of the first words I learned was "accendino" (cigarette lighter) and I DON'T SMOKE).

I must say that so far Italian has been a breeze, thanks to my knowledge of Spanish. I suspect that later on I
will have most of the typical difficulties with the subtleties of the language, but right now learning Italian really
is effortless (as Assimil advertises). Of course, it's all passive learning - the most active thing I do is review
my flashcards. But I think Spanish will help with speaking and writing, too. And when I'm in Italy, if my Italian
(which should be at least upper intermediate by then) fails me, I can throw in some Spanish words and
hopefully be understood.

I know that I'm being kind of repetitive here, but I just think it's so neat that I get this discount on Italian. There
really aren't any languages that are as close to English as Spanish is to Italian, so the degree of similarity
between the two Romance languages never ceases to amaze me. Sure, Spanish isn't exactly a nightmare for
me - it's a great deal easier than Polish - but Italian is going to me my easiest acquisition yet.

Just to be clear, I'm only aiming at basic fluency in Italian - I am well aware that reaching an advanced/near-
native level in Italian would be hard even with my knowledge of Spanish and Latin. I'm not trying to diss
Italian or anything like that! I think it's a pretty awesome language, even though I chose it for practical
reasons.

Edited by Amerykanka on 26 May 2013 at 5:45am

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4159 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 118 of 176
26 May 2013 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
That's really funny about those three books! Out of the three, I never heard of "The Book Thief," but I did have to read "The Great Gatsby" and "To Kill a Mockingbird." "Fahrenheit 451" is another one that shows up quite a bit.

My English teacher loved Russian literature though, so my memories from reading lists are "The Brother's Karamazov" and "Crime and Punishment."

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 119 of 176
27 May 2013 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Fuenf_Katzen wrote:
That's really funny about those three books! Out of the three, I never heard of "The
Book Thief," but I did have to read "The Great Gatsby" and "To Kill a Mockingbird." "Fahrenheit 451" is
another one that shows up quite a bit.

I'll have to add Fahrenheit 451 to my list. As for The Book Thief, it was just published in 2006, so it's
a somewhat recent addition.

Fuenf_Katzen wrote:
My English teacher loved Russian literature though, so my memories from reading
lists are "The Brother's Karamazov" and "Crime and Punishment."

That's neat! I've never read anything by Dostoyevsky, which is kind of embarrassing for me to admit - but at
least I've read War & Peace and Anna Karenina.

Edited by Amerykanka on 27 May 2013 at 3:03am

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 120 of 176
27 May 2013 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Ciao! Come state oggi? Io non sto bene - ho il raffreddore e c'è molto male.

My first composition in Italian! If I've managed to bungle even these simple statements, please let me know. :)

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version