United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 41 of 176
18 January 2013 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
Hej, nowa garść poprawek :)

Dziękuję bardzo! :) Byłam tak zajęta przez te dwa ostatnie dnie, że nie znalazłam nawet minuty, żeby coś Ci
odpowiedzieć, ale zawsze jestem bardzo wdzięczna za każdą poprawkę.

Julie wrote:
nie mogłbym użyć w zdaniu

To chyba literówka, ale na wszelki wypadek: nie mogłabym (kobieta), nie mógłbym (mężczyzna). A w tym
kontekście lepiej: nie umiałabym go użyć w zdaniu.

No tak, to była po prostu literówka, która uszła mojej uwadze. Ale teraz widzę, że lepiej użyć "umiałabym" -
od czasu do czasu mam problemy z tymi dwoma czasownikami, to wina mojego angielskiego mózgu. :)

Julie wrote:

moje linki będą Ci użyteczne

Najbardziej chyba naturalne sformułowanie to: "Cieszę się, że moje linki Ci się przydadzą". Przymiotnik
"użyteczny" jest dość rzadki - sprawdzałam w słowniku języka polskiego i jest oznaczony jako "książkowy".
Gdybyś chciała go użyć, zdanie musiałoby brzmieć "moje linki będą dla Ciebie użyteczne".

Nigdy nie wiedziałam, że "użyteczny" to wyraz trochę przestarzały - dobrze się stało, że wspomniałaś o tym.
Nie chcę, żeby moja mowa brzmiała dziwnie. :)

Jeszcze raz dziękuję - w sobotę wpadnę do Twojego log'a i jak widzę jakieś błędy w Twoim angielskim, to
dam Ci znać. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6693 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 42 of 176
18 January 2013 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
Cieszę się, że poprawki się przydały! Wpadnę za parę dni i dorzucę nowe, bo zrobiło się już strasznie późno, a jutro rano wyjeżdżam na weekend do Niemiec... właśnie się pakuję :).

Za wszelkie Twoje poprawki będę tradycyjnie wdzięczna! A po pobycie w Niemczech mój angielski pewnie ucierpi, więc tym bardziej będzie co poprawiać :)

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 43 of 176
19 January 2013 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
@Julie, baw się dobrze w Niemczech! Mam nadzieję, że Twój niemiecki polepszy się podczas pobytu. :) A co
do poprawek mojego polskiego, nie śpiesz się jak jesteś zajęta - wiem, że trudno znaleźć czas (ja zawsze
mam ten problem). Powodzenia we wszystkich językach! :)

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5356 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 44 of 176
19 January 2013 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
¡Hola Amerykanka! Sólo quería desearte lo mejor para este año en todo lo que haces y lo
que te importa. Espero también que podamos seguir empujándonos con el castellano a lo
largo del año. ¡Que todo te vaya fenomenal!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 45 of 176
19 January 2013 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
It's time for an update. The beginning of this week went very well, even though I was busy, but then MAJOR
business interfered. Wednesday I only studied Latin and Spanish, and Thursday and Friday I really only
found time for Spanish. Today I have to do some Latin, though, and hopefully Polish and Italian as well.

LATIN
3 hours 40 minutes
- 1 hour 25 minutes of flashcard review in Anki
- 1 hour 2 minutes of adding new vocabulary words to Anki and other miscellaneous things
- 1 hour of translating and then discussing in Latin class a few passages of St. Anselm's Proslogion
- 13 minutes of studying the gerund and the gerundive and their differences (I think I finally have it all
straight :))

I don't have much to say except that St. Anselm is MUCH easier to understand than St. Jerome. Maybe the
hard part is still to come! Anyway, as I mentioned above, I am planning on doing Latin today, so I will include
that in a second update later today.

ITALIAN
40 minutes

I finished Lezione 2 and moved on to Lezione 3. I also did 5 minutes of flashcard review. Oh, and I finally
ordered Assimil Italian with Ease. It is supposed to arrive sometime next week and I am really excited
about it! :)

POLISH
2 hours
- 55 minutes of flashcard review in Anki
- 35 minutes of transferring paper flashcards to Anki
- 30 minutes (or so) of writing in this log

I now have 432 of my flashcards transferred to Anki. That is not very much, since I have 4,000 +, but the
number is steadily growing.

SPANISH
6 hours 50 minutes
- 2 hours 3 minutes of reviewing flashcards in Anki
- 35 minutes of grammar exercises
- 1 hour 25 minutes of listening comprehension
- 1 hour 10 minutes of reading
- 1 hour 37 minutes of looking up words and adding them to my three Anki decks
Flashcard Count: 4,655 cards

I didn't pick an author of the week because a) I was too busy and b) I am having so much fun reading
La Emperatriz de Los Etéreos! I am hoping to finish that book by next Friday at the latest. It has been so
useful to me; all the reading has helped my Spanish very much, I think. I have a new unofficial goal for the
year: to read 12 books in Spanish.

My listening comprehension has also been going very well. The Nicaragua news site I mentioned in my last
update, where you can watch live transmission, has proved a wonderful source of listening material. Although
I must say that hearing the same commercials numerous times has grown boring for me even in Spanish! :)
Anyway, I have started a new exercise routine for the year, and while I am on the treadmill I listen to the
news. This makes for a LOT of listening time, which is great, since listening is probably my weakest skill.

I need to brush up on my Spanish country names. Yesterday I was listening to the news and the reporters
kept on mentioning "Argelia". All I coufigs deduce from the context was that it was a country in Africa, and
since I was on the treadmill and I couldn't take a break, I walked for 15 minutes trying to think of countries in
Africa that began with "A". Eventually I had a chance to look it up and the answer was, as I had been
suspecting, "Algeria", but this has made me realize that I need to make sure there aren't any other country
names I am ignorant of. I had believed that I had learned all the Spanish names significantly different from
their English equivalents, but maybe not.

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 46 of 176
19 January 2013 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Vos wrote:
¡Hola Amerykanka! Sólo quería desearte lo mejor para este año en todo lo que haces y lo
que te importa. Espero también que podamos seguir empujándonos con el castellano a lo
largo del año. ¡Que todo te vaya fenomenal!

¡Hola Vos! ¡Muchas gracias por tu apoyo y te deseo suceso en todos los áreas de tu vida! Voy a seguir
leyendo tu log y espero que leas el mío también. ¡Buena suerte!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 47 of 176
19 January 2013 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Latin Update: I spent around 30 minutes adding 50+ new words to my Latin decks. I have a new plan - in the
interest of learning as much vocabulary as quickly as possible, I am going to go ahead and memorize the
words from the rest of Collins instead of memorizing them chapter by chapter. This will be much more
efficient, as well!

I then spent 20 minutes reviewing vocabulary in Anki. I have around 1,700 cards total, but I have four Latin
decks and some of the cards (a couple of hundred, I would say) are in more than one deck. I have a deck for
Collins and a deck for Wheelock's and there is some overlap. I really want to learn more words - just over
1,000 words is not very good after almost 10 years of study! Of course, when I first studied Latin, before my
passion for languages made an appearance, I didn't really care about it that much, and even once I had
grown interested in languages, I still viewed Latin as just a fairly entertaining school subject. I have only been
studying Latin semi-seriously for around two years, and none of my courses have prioritized vocabulary,
which is understandable, I guess, since this is an ancient language in question.

I also spent 30 minutes or so completing an assignment for my Latin class. It involved a translation from
Horace and was pretty much a nightmare. Sometimes I can understand these ancient authors, and
sometimes I just sit there staring at the different combinations of words and wondering how on earth I will
ever make sense of them. I really think Latin is the hardest language I've ever tried to learn! :)

This post became much longer than I meant it to be - now I have to go, since a long list of tasks awaits me,
and, unfortunately, only some of them are language-related.

A più tardi! :)

Edited by Amerykanka on 19 January 2013 at 8:20pm

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 48 of 176
20 January 2013 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
I'm just popping in here for a moment to give two exciting (for me, anyway) announcements.

1) My Assimil Italian with Ease arrived! I will be starting it tomorrow - my goal is to do at least 15 minutes
of study every day this week. Consistency is key!

2) I finished the last 71 pages of La Emperatriz de los Etéreos after 1 hour 35 minutes of reading. Now I
have a whole page of vocabulary to look up and add to Anki, but I am VERY excited! Now I have read 4
books in Spanish for a total of 1,194 pages. :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version