Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 73 of 415
27 January 2014 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Thanks tarvos! I've collected a few DONTS regarding Chinese, maybe more so than DOs.

My Chinese learning has been, from the start, COMPREHENSIVE. I attack all aspects of
the language at once. I don't allow myself to have a biased viewing of the language.
You know the principle of learning several languages at once and thus using one of them
as a way for taking some rest from the other? I do this for Chinese, and in fact I
treat every aspect of the language as 1 "learning slot" in my routine: conversation,
reading, writing system and listening. Some of the lessons I've learned:

1) Do your HSK . Nowadays it's just a set of Memrise courses. You'll get exposed to
loads of building blocks that seem to be of less importance, but you'll be on the right
track to measure your progress.
2) Cheat, cheat the emk/iguanamon way. Whenever possible, get both pinyin and
translation (in the case of Assimil you'll also have a hyperliteral translation). Treat
your textbooks as mostly L-R tools. Keep an eye at the written text while you listen to
the audio, so that you associate character and audio. Then you'll also associate
character and meaning. Sometimes you'll realize you learned the meaning better than the
sound, sometimes it's the opposite. In the middle-run, still, you'll keep working and
filling in the blanks. Don't be afraid of becoming pinyin-addicted. You'll only become
so if you simply ignore the characters.
3. While at textbooks and authentic resources, focus on words. You'll keep studying
your characters from the SRS-designed courses or even from a 'mnemonics' book such as
Heisig. Don't pay much attention to the mnemonics, after all, memorizing such stories
may turn up harder than memorizing the actual characters as they show up. Just keep
learning the characters and making good use of the sentences introduced as examples.
Chinese has a huge advantage against i.e. Russian, in the sense that you very seldom
get bookish sentences just for the sake of presenting a grammar point. Most of what you
get is daily useful vocabulary, even if the point is just introducing a new character.
4. Listen a lot till you get used to initials and tones. Then be more selective. Don't
waste much time on tourist dialogues if you already know both reading and speaking at
the related subjects. It's time to try texts, which will consist of a whole new
sentence structure, with longer sentences, and this time you'll need cheating again.
5. Keep it French as much as you can. The best resources for beginners are Assimil and
Méthode 90 then Etape par Etape. The podcast classes are also great and I regret not
using them earlier. They make the transition between stages very smoothly. Then if you
want to really delve into Chinese literature and language, there are outstanding books
from L'Asiathèque. Even if you are more of a talking person, at that stage you'll have
realized that daily life conversation isn't that hard. At my current level I think I
could go shopping at China with no big difficulty.

If I had to start from scratch, I'd do the following activities a day:

A) Chinese class podcast
B) Assimil
C) Memrise HSK courses and/or books like Peng's Fun with Chinese Characters
D) A teaching series from CNTV

Chinese resources are so vast. You can choose resources according to your level. For
example, if I finished the Assimil and felt my grammar knowledge was hindering my
active skills, I'd practice with Routledge's Basic Chinese. You don't actually need to
keep reading grammar explicitly, though.

As for talking, I personally had bad experiences when trying to talk with Chinese
people whose English wasn't so good yet, while my Chinese was still too rusty and slow.
Maybe now it's time to resume trying. I know you'd have a much better time at this.

Edited by Expugnator on 27 January 2014 at 11:17pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 74 of 415
28 January 2014 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:

1) Do your HSK . Nowadays it's just a set of Memrise courses. You'll get exposed to
loads of building blocks that seem to be of less importance, but you'll be on the right
track to measure your progress.

What's HSK? The Chinese equivalent of CEFR exams?

Quote:
2) Cheat, cheat the emk/iguanamon way. Whenever possible, get both pinyin and
translation (in the case of Assimil you'll also have a hyperliteral translation). Treat
your textbooks as mostly L-R tools. Keep an eye at the written text while you listen to
the audio, so that you associate character and audio. Then you'll also associate
character and meaning. Sometimes you'll realize you learned the meaning better than the
sound, sometimes it's the opposite. In the middle-run, still, you'll keep working and
filling in the blanks. Don't be afraid of becoming pinyin-addicted. You'll only become
so if you simply ignore the characters.

I have Assimil, actually. So I think I will get something to work on the characters.

Quote:
3. While at textbooks and authentic resources, focus on words. You'll keep
studying
your characters from the SRS-designed courses or even from a 'mnemonics' book such as
Heisig. Don't pay much attention to the mnemonics, after all, memorizing such stories
may turn up harder than memorizing the actual characters as they show up. Just keep
learning the characters and making good use of the sentences introduced as examples.
Chinese has a huge advantage against i.e. Russian, in the sense that you very seldom
get bookish sentences just for the sake of presenting a grammar point. Most of what you
get is daily useful vocabulary, even if the point is just introducing a new character.

Besides Chinese builds words more simply than Russian anyways.

Quote:
4. Listen a lot till you get used to initials and tones. Then be more selective.
Don't waste much time on tourist dialogues if you already know both reading and
speaking at the related subjects. It's time to try texts, which will consist of a whole
new sentence structure, with longer sentences, and this time you'll need cheating
again.

I think that will be the hardest thing - the tones.

Quote:
5. Keep it French as much as you can. The best resources for beginners are
Assimil and
Méthode 90 then Etape par Etape. The podcast classes are also great and I regret not
using them earlier. They make the transition between stages very smoothly. Then if you
want to really delve into Chinese literature and language, there are outstanding books
from L'Asiathèque. Even if you are more of a talking person, at that stage you'll have
realized that daily life conversation isn't that hard. At my current level I think I
could go shopping at China with no big difficulty.

Pas de problème, haha...

Quote:

As for talking, I personally had bad experiences when trying to talk with Chinese
people whose English wasn't so good yet, while my Chinese was still too rusty and slow.
Maybe now it's time to resume trying. I know you'd have a much better time at this.

J'ai recours à Internet! Ça suffit pour la pratique, haha...
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 75 of 415
28 January 2014 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
HSK is just the exam, there is no direct equivalency to CEFR AFAIK, that is, I don't
think HSK 2 corresponds to A2 or so on.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 76 of 415
28 January 2014 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
HSK is China's equivalent of the TOEFL. It is almost impossible to compare to CEFR, because levels 1-2-3 are so basic the highest of them is probably something like A2 (and A1 something like "A0-"). The progression between levels is not regular nor really exponential. HSK5 is probably B2 and HSK6 "B2+/C1-", I would guess.

Note that they themselves offer a comparison scale to CEFR, but no university in the West actually accepts this equivalence (they claim around a level of CEFR per level of HSK...).

Anyway, regardless of CEFR, I've found HSK vocabulary list to be a good support to guide my own vocabulary acquisition.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 77 of 415
28 January 2014 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Today was the first day back at work. I was a bit busier early in the morning,
recovering and reindexing some news from last years, so I played the Georgian series in
the background. I was amazed at how up-to-date the series is: while a couple was
discussing, one could hear the background of the children playing, ansd that was Angry
Birds' sound effects. As if it weren't enough, later on an even more up-to-date mobile
game could be hard, it was Subway Surf, which I only began playing by the end of last
year. Those guys in Georgian do know how to make their series sound contemporary.

I started later and spent a long time at Basic Georgian, but not as much as I thought.
The version exercises were shorter and they are actually getting esier. It helps that
I'm already familiarized with most of the grammar and am only consolidating it. So,
when I have to translate sentences that cover a brand new topic, it's actually one I've
had already seen before.

At TY Russian, I finally got something on verbs. Sentences actually got easier to
translate now that they have a beginning and an end, and don't consist only of nominal,
predicative sentences anymore.

I've decided to stop worrying about schedule that much. I used to make sure I'd watch
the Norwegian video before foing to have lunch. Now I only really care about getting
the textbooks done, because they are the hardest to get down on later. The other
activities are shorter and I can do one at once whenever I have a break, for example,
watching 10 minutes from a film or even reading a short fable. It's ok if I have to
scatter them through the end of the afternoon.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4426 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 78 of 415
29 January 2014 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
I might have found a way for you to continue watching the CNTV videos. I'm going to
move soon so I've been getting a lot of stuff I do streaming on my PC, included the
Travel in Chinese (which I started recently after all the praise you said about it).
Turns out that when I tried downloading one episode, it only downloaded a part of it.
The thing is that each episode (as far as I've seen) is divided in 3 parts and it
usually freezes at that time. So a good way to avoid that freezing all the time could
be to just download the streaming version part by part.
I did it today and in 1 minute or so you can download a part of about 5 minutes and
then go on with the next one.
Only thing I don't like is that I have to use firefox to use the add-on to get
streamings downloaded but you could find sth better maybe ^^

If you want to know more, don't hesitate ;)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 79 of 415
29 January 2014 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
Thanks yuhakko! I'll try with either FF or Chrome later at home.
I can only access videos from other sources while at home, so today I studied from the
lessons at Youtube, which consist of only the first part. I wonder why the episodes
aren't available from CCTV itself at YT, as it was often the case with Happy in
Chinese.

So, I watched the first part of the program at Youtube, which contains the whole
dialogue, then I read the notes at the CCTV site. I'll make the test of watching the
rest of the episode at home and seeing if there's really important content missing that
isn't on the notes (even though they are shorter indeed). Then if I do manage to
download the videos, I'll get the ones for tomorrow.

I tried searching for 旅游汉语 at youtube but no results :/

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 80 of 415
29 January 2014 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
A couple of years ago I posted a link to the online videos and transcripts in several foreign languages at LangMedia.

Since I first stumbled on the site, the colleges involved have added more videos (and their transcripts) including short discussions on cultural facets in Georgian (all of video clips under Culture Talk Georgia that I sampled are in Georgian and accompanied by Georgian transcripts with English translations).

Enjoy.

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version