Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 113 of 415
09 February 2014 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
The resource I forgot for Georgian is the Culture Talk gently provided by Chung. The one
I feel like reviewing is probably Aronson's grammar. There's also the
ice.ge course ( prz_ should have a
look at it). I don't know if it's worth reviewing it and slowing down at other languages,
though.
1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4426 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 114 of 415
10 February 2014 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
yuhakko, someone has translated quite a few levels of ainu lessons at
the Unilang forum. Do you know about them?

Oh right! I actually had the page in my favorite but truth be told, I don't think it's
well organised. It'll certainly be good to review basics later but for now not so much.
The course in Japanese is SO good, it'd be a shame not to use it, but the thing is just
that I wanted to see sth new. But I think new and ainu don't got together unfortunately!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 115 of 415
10 February 2014 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
They are just a little bit more organized here

Edited by Expugnator on 10 February 2014 at 1:30am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 116 of 415
10 February 2014 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Last night I dreamed in Georgian! It wasn't the first time, but it was interesting. The
person I was talking to tried to correct my pronunciation on ejectives x aspirated. I
bet it's hard to get this natural, even if it's not that complicated to distinguish
them in speech.

At today's Basic Georgian, I was impressed at how I could render complex sentences that
involved totally difference phrasing. Accomplished one more lesson, 3 to go. Today's
lesson was about passive/medial verbs, a subject where the usefulness is directly
proportional to its level of boredom.

I noticed I spend too much time on FB, especially on Mondays, when I'm reading updates
from the weekend. There's interesting stuff going on, I know, but today it was hard to
catch up. I'm finishing schedule only 20 min before going and there's still Duolingo
left, not to mention Memrise.

I started L'Allemand. Skimmed first 7 lessons, did 7 more. It is a whole different
content, of course, but it also seems updated, more like today's learning style. It has
important tips on pronunciation, and they go on consistenly after the initial lessons.
As for word choice, it's also appropriate so far, and since it's different from NASP,
it's not a bad idea to do both, as I'm doing.

Getting fed up with XiYangYang. Need to find a new cartoon, or better, a new series. I
tried the series I mentioned here about a chef, but it's too hard and too fast. I don't
have time to understand anything, even though I could theoretically understand a bit.

Videos from Telecuraçao keep crashing. I wonder if this is an internal issue, a
restriction from this network. I tried at the tablet and could play less than half a 5
min video, after much struggle. Maybe I'll have to download them at home. I don't
really like to spend that much time at preparing for studying. That is discouraging
because I no longer have the option to leave tasks from the main schedule to do after
work. I'd be too busy and tired for that.

Not much on Russian, just working on the old TY. Why do numbers have to be so hard? I
should stick to writing down the digits, even by doing so with paper and pen while
talking =D

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 117 of 415
11 February 2014 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Today I was busy in the morning again, but managed to do Memrise and listen to the
Papiamento news video before 上班. I got there later than usual but I could
still keep consistency, and finished almost 4 hours in advance.

Good news for my Georgian studies. Early this year I started a Georgian study
group at FB, for Brazilians, with low expectations. The group is growing, and the guy
who teaches Georgian at Brazil's largest university just joined it! He's been studying
for 10 years, he's been to Georgia and he knows the author of the book I'm currently
using in person! Maybe there will be good outcomes from that.

Chinese - At Chinesepod (I can write the name safely since most lessons are for
free anyway) I've just finished Upper Beginner and will start elementary level
tomorrow. Lessons are more complex at that level, so i'm very excited about that. I
start to believe I may not need an additional textbook after I'm done with Everyday
Chinese, since now the podcast lessons are fulfilling this task. I just need to study
them more carefully then. I'm at this strange stage with regards to Chinese: I want to
study more resources than I'm doing now, but I'm afraid this may lead to burnout. I
have several interesting resources I could use but I'd also enjoy just watching media
in the language. I'm now progressing more with characters, as I'm starting to become
aware of radicals. Conversation is a bit behind, that is to say, I progressed at it
first and now the other skills start to catch up. I really want to speak Chinese in
real life. Maybe it's time I visit my old teacher's school for a placement test, but
now I have time but not money.

Everything is smoothly with other languages. I'm really enjoying L'Allemand.
It's by no means in terms of vocabulary, and with regards to grammar I can just skim
what I'm familiarized with. Even TY Russian lessons start to make more sense. At
this pace, the lessons will end unolticedly and I won't even have decided what to do
next. I don't know what I can use after having been through the three Assimil texts,
Nina Potapova's course and Living Language. Not sure if I would benefit from another
beginner's textbook. OTOH, it may be still to early to try Colloquial Russian 2 or
Living Language Beginner-Advanced, both of which seem quite appealing. I'll have to
browse through my resources in a moment.

I'm starting to consider what to do about the Super Challenge. The idea is to
bring up a language from B1 to B2 or C1 through (mostly) extensive reading and
listening.

Super Challenge

Well, I've realized that my 20 pages a day in French would be enough for
achieving a Super Challenge. On the other hand, I have been doing this routine of 20
French pages a day (mostly intensive but lately rather extensive) over a year
ago
and I don't think my French saw that huge gap. On the contrary: after dropping
the textbook stage, I think what I learned came more from videos than from reading. So,
I don't know if this challenge or my routine itself will be effective for this
transition. I don't even know my French level for sure. I believe I'm B2 with some
gaps, because I really can talk about almost everything despite making mistakes, and I
can also understand almost everything at spoken fiction French, including some
word eat-ups and slang.

I haven't calculated how it would work with videos. I take 20 minutes a day with
Norwegian video, plus 15-20 min of listening/reading. Maybe Norwegian is
elligible for a video challenge and for a half reading challenge (what I read are 10
pages which I happen to L-R because I have audio).

So, in theory Norwegian is the ideal language for a Super Challenge because I'm at a B1
level. Considering my current routine, though, I could do a full French reading and a
half French A/V challenge + a half Norwegian reading and a full Norwegian A/V challenge
without making any changes to my already intensive routine. In calmer days, I could
also add 10 more pages (from a different source) in Norwegian and 10-30 more minutes in
French, and that would allow me for a full challenge in both. I wouldn't stick these to
my main routine though, as it is already intense enough. I'm only replacing activities
instead of adding new ones, the exception being apps (Anki, Duolingo, Memrise) which
can be worked on in a more relaxed way. Maybe I could read 5 pages a day in Georgian if
I started with easy, translated novels (Paulo Coelho, anyone?); more than that would
mean a daily Georgian burnout. I already read 2 pages in a mirrored (Georgian-
English) reader and 2 more in a mirrored novel.

As for Papiamento, I listen to no more than 5 minutes a day and that's just
background, thus not elligible. There isn't enough interesting audio/video out there
for me to spend a challenge on that. In the case of books, there's just not enough
material at all in Papiamento, I'm afraid! That is to say, if we pile up all the books
currently available for purchase in Papiamento, it may not be enough to accomplish a
super challenge :/

EDIT: I almost forgot to analize Chinese! The situation is similar to Norwegian,
though the level surely isn't (I believe I'm at a higher A2 for active skills but
listening is far from transparent, not to mention reading). I could accomplish an A/V
challenge with 20 minutes a day of Chinese videos. No reading, though.

Edited by Expugnator on 11 February 2014 at 9:40pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 118 of 415
11 February 2014 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
While reading your log, I always want to quote a title of one song - "The winner takes it all".

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4152 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 119 of 415
12 February 2014 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
What a motivating log you have!

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 120 of 415
12 February 2014 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Early this year I started a Georgian study
group at FB, for Brazilians

Link please?

Edited by prz_ on 12 February 2014 at 3:23pm

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version